rapture/dem pro external drive

Author
debris
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2008/11/10 07:29:00 (permalink)

rapture/dem pro external drive

is there any way to install the large sample and waveform files to a external drive? I've tried moving them, ( just sample/multisamples/waveforms...NOT the programs file..left that where it installed on my main drive) ...result was, programs couldn't find samples, even after putting aliases in the original location on main drive... nothing in the manual that I could find regarding this... I really need to clear some space on my main drive.. thanks for all and any suggestions...

debris

7 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: rapture/dem pro external drive 2008/11/10 21:43:32 (permalink)
    If you are on a Windows PC then check out the information in the Expression Engine Multisample Relocation article.
    debris
    RE: rapture/dem pro external drive 2008/11/10 22:21:04 (permalink)
    thanks Bob... forgot to post my system info! running on macbookpro 2.2 4G ram ...also, I'm aware that I can re-install dem pro, but this means re-doing updates, add-ons... if there is a simpler way that would be great! as for rapture, there seems to be no way to use an external drive ... is that correct? thanks...
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: rapture/dem pro external drive 2008/11/11 06:20:33 (permalink)
    if you install it as normal, then do the registry changes you / move the samples etc to the folders you should be ok. that goes for DP and rapture.

raptures library is a lot smaller than the DP one.

if you look for the keys Bob has pointed you to. Might have changed for vista , so not sure if you run that?

backup your registry before making changes though =)
    debris
    RE: rapture/dem pro external drive 2008/11/11 09:44:13 (permalink)
    Fog...thanks for the reply... don't know if my 2nd post was up when you replied, BUT , I'm running on a Mac, so not sure if this fix will work, and as this is a sonar forum, not sure if anyone else will know, either..! actually, I have Sonar.. I think it's great... certainly much more intuitive that Logic... even bought a tricked out PC system and an EMU 1616m with Emulator (lusting after that for a long time...;-) unfortunately, the PC choked, (brand new!) and set me back time and money on a project, so I got choked as well, and re-recorded everything (PC files were corrupted) and went back to my Macs, which have never given me any trouble of any kind... too bad... I really think Sonar is an excellent program in every way... it's PCs that ...well... SUCK, to be blunt... why on earth doesn't Roland spend the time and effort to port this over to a proper pro platform? (JUST JOKING...!! ...sort of...) anyway, got a nice system for sale, if you know anyone in Japan! :-)

debris
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: rapture/dem pro external drive 2008/11/11 17:01:04 (permalink)
    Duncan, when someone says their running a mac a lot of the time I assume they are using bootcamp

it would be nice if they could re-jig the installer OR give an option for a different location for the samples.. with rapture, the files aren't that big though.

I've worked / fixed / upgraded more mac's then maybe a lot of people will see in a lifetime for a living, it gave me an insight into the machine .. at least 4-5 a day... and most over 50.

each machine has it's strengths / weakness's.. as for mac..hhmmm lets just say even on mac things aren't always rosey.I was the only guy in the company who wasn't running a mac, and used to have to go into cult of apple every day... if only they had switched to intel chips a lot earlier, that might have wiped the smug grin off my colleagues faces.

as for your iffy PC, well you had a bad experience, was it a self build etc?

with universal binaries and apple using intel chipsets , it might make things a bit easier.. but I can't see the dev cost vs user base being even. I mean apple can turn around and flip the script, so if I was a software house, I'd be wary of some aspects of "progress"

as for logic, it's more funny 3 of my friends really had v8 (?) of it... one who is the biggest fan for many years (going back to c-lab on st) said.. WTF have they done with logic, and currently is sticking with the previous version BUT might switch to cubase.. he'd use sonar, but since it's PC based.. he prefers doing things on the mac.

on a happier note , have you got the Muz3um sound pack? if not why not.hehe

http://www.patcharena.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=61&func=showdown&id=642
    post edited by Fog - 2008/11/11 17:02:03
    debris
    RE: rapture/dem pro external drive 2008/11/11 19:39:16 (permalink)
    hehe... it's easy to create a little stimulation with the Mac/PC thing (handy at a dull party...) I'm an end-user type... if it works, I'm happy... actually bought a PC years ago and basically ran into the same thing, not so bad or crucial (was just using it as the family computer) , I was concerned from the start with this rig. I had it put together for me at the biggest PC store in Tokyo, using the specs listed on the Rain Computers website... I searched the web for comments about the Emu box, saw nothing negative at all... THEN, after I had gone ahead with it all, a producer buddy of mine told me he had heard stories about problems etc. I also took the UAD card from my Mac desktop and popped it into the PC... this could be the actual source of the problem ... the guy I took it to for repair told me that he switched the cards, because one of them had to have the first slot... problem is, in the install literature, they BOTH want the first slot...! (can't we all just get along!?! ) Plug-in Wars! ..at a theatre near you anyway, it was kinda fun in that PC store... if I was into the whole thing, I'm sure I would find Macs rather dull... with a PC there's so many options! this place is a 6 story Disneyland for PC users, I imagine.... come to Tokyo and I'll show you the place

debris
    debris
    RE: rapture/dem pro external drive 2008/11/11 19:41:32 (permalink)
    oh... and yes I have Muz3um ... and Piscis and Architecture.. all very powerful tools for both of these softsynths...

debris
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1