Author
HiThere
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 471
2008/11/10 16:02:35 (permalink)

[Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop)

Hi, all! Please, take a listen and kindly advise:

http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSgYlC3YWo

Since the link appears to be broken, please copy and paste it in your browser window. As an alternative, please go to http://www.garageband.com/artist/InspiredBM and navigate to songs there. You can listen by clicking on a little green arrow next to the song name (a player will pop up) or download an MP3.

1. Can you clearly understand the lyrics? Do you like the message and why?
2. Any production issues which should be improved?
3. Is this hip-hop? If not then what?
4. Anything else?

Thank you :)

18 Replies Related Threads

HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/11 22:48:17 (permalink)
    Ok, boys, don't be shy! It took a while but I figured how to create links here :)

http://www.garageband.com/song?|pe1|S8LTM0LdsaSgYlC3YWo
    post edited by HiThere - 2008/11/11 22:53:00
    MarbleColumns
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 46
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/12 21:44:58 (permalink)
    yo, you just got yourself a new fan here. i downloaded all your songs at garageband

1) i only listened to the song once and i heard words that i liked, wasn't listening for a message or a "moral"
    2) production sounds okie dokey to me
    3) is this hip-hop? "if you have to ask you'll never know" it is what it is; i hate, no LOATHE genres and sub-genres and having to pick a genre that describes my music when i sign up for sites LOATHE LOATHE LOATHE!!!!! but yeah, it's pretty much hip-hop
    4) will listen to the rest of the songs soon

Wet Dentist is DEAD
    Marble Columns

HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/13 03:41:11 (permalink)
    MarbleColumns, thank you :) Of all the songs you have downloaded, which one you liked the best and the least, and why?
    Vassa
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/13 10:17:02 (permalink)
    We had serious problems with buffering when trying to listen to this, so didn't get the message!

Production seemed ok on what we could hear of it.

Hip Hop, nah you didn't say muthaf****r once

BTW, this is our third attempt at listening to this, buffering is a real problem our end or garagebands we don't know. Maybe you can post it somewhere else.

HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/13 16:45:17 (permalink)
    Vassa, thank you for trying :) Occasionally there is a slowdown at GB, but right now everything is back to normal, it appears, if you want to try again.
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/14 01:12:15 (permalink)
    Hithere,

I'm notoriously bad about getting hip hop lyrics - too old, I guess, tho I used to do the sound at underground hip-hop places in New York like Nickel Bag, Milkway. Liked the song - it seemed generally hip hop but I ain't no expert. I did like it - nice big beat, crusty bass, etc. I'm not big on hip hop lyrics, but it seemed a bit too much moralizing for the style. And like Marble said, not a m@#$%^&**(r in the song.

But I wouldn't worry about the genré. Do what feels right unless you want to be signed by a label, and if you are good enough they'll do that part for you.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/14 03:34:31 (permalink)
    AT, thank you for the input, much appreciated!
    Prevalence
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 719
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/14 15:35:09 (permalink)
    Enjoyed this one... a fun listen. Not exactly what i would listen to normally, but the production overall is excellent!

Bestest, Paul

Best Regards, Paul
    Music at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754343

~~~ Album 'ElectroStatique' (Feat. Anya) now available from:-
    iTunes, Rhapsody, HMW, 7Digital, emusic, Napster and several other outlets ~~~
    HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/14 23:38:38 (permalink)
    Paul, did you understand what exactly Little Johnny was selling?
    Prevalence
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 719
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/15 01:51:48 (permalink)
    Yes, he's a very naughty boy! Why?

Best Regards, Paul
    Music at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=754343

~~~ Album 'ElectroStatique' (Feat. Anya) now available from:-
    iTunes, Rhapsody, HMW, 7Digital, emusic, Napster and several other outlets ~~~
    badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/15 07:29:13 (permalink)
    hey, this is nice man.

I'm french so it's not that easy to understand lyrics in english in general, and it seems even harder with a distorted voice. Why did you choose that distorted voice by the way?
    so yeah, about production issues, keeping your voice clean and clear (maybe doubled for some more depth, or anything else) might improve the understanding of the lyrics.

this is definetely hip hop, although it doesn't matter much, as marblecolumns said.

maybe you should work on some variation on the rythm of your vocals, it appears to sound pretty much always the same, maybe once you have your lyrics written down, you should spend a little time figuring out how you are gonna tell them, maybe steal some ideas from hip hop artists.

HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/15 08:38:28 (permalink)
    Prevalence, people have a hard time figuring some lyrics out because of the accent, plus there's distortion, so you must have some seriously good ears to figure it all out, man :)

Badbib, thank you for the input! My undistorted vox is just not going to cut it. So, distortion helps a bit. Yeah, the delivery too is nothing to get a grammy for :)
    badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/15 09:16:47 (permalink)
    My undistorted vox is just not going to cut it. So, distortion helps a bit. Yeah, the delivery too is nothing to get a grammy for :)

I wish I had the balls to record my own voice!

but maybe you shouldn't be afraid to have it cleaner, I don't think the distorsion does any justice to the voice.

there are a bunch of tricks to get good rap vocals, I've never tried it so i can't talk from experience, but apparently people like to double their voice on the whole song, and add another layer on important words. I often hear some subtle delaying behind, most often not synchronized, just in order to make the voice bigger. I was thinking of rap tracks with distorsion like you used, but couldn't think of any. At least, not during the whole thing.

Could you upload a version with clean vocals so we could hear it? I'd be curious to know how it sounds without that distorsion.

About the delivery, working on a "rythm" for the vocals is probably not too hard, I don't know, I have never tried :) but maybe you could try and hear the beat and sing without the vocals, just da da daa, and find ways to make things more interesting, just a thought...

maybe you'll have your best luck listening to rap artists and trying to figure out how they recorded the vocals, what effects they used, and maybe steal a bunch of nice "rythms" for your own vocals.

Have you tried uploading that track on more "hip hop specific" forums? maybe these guys would be better at giving you advises for the voice.
    jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/16 13:27:09 (permalink)

4. Anything else?

1. Pretty much, though I agree the distortion/tone of the voice makes it a bit more challenging. Personally I don't like messages in music, UNLESS they are done artistically with metaphor and symbolism... These lyrics are a little too "obvious" in their message for me, but that's just my taste. The best writing is artistic, not blatant. Saying "blood is running down his face, it's a disgrace" is kind of cliche, no offense...

2. Listening on a laptop, so can't comment. It didn't sound bad on laptop speakers, so that's saying something. Vocals seem kinda loud, hip-hop usually squashes the vocals with compression, and as mentioned double them and even triple important words, with tight/subtle panning for thickness.

3. That's a loaded question, isn't it? If I say it's not hip-hop, then someone asks who made me the authority to judge whether something is hip-hop or not (and rightly so). I'd say musically it's hip-hop, with more of a sing-songy pop style lyric rather than a true rap. If that's what you were going for you nailed it. If you wanted it to be more of a true rap, I'd say you need to work on your vocal delivery, especially the rhythms of your lines. Rap lyrics are like a jazz solo, they need to be in the pocket and float above the "boom-chick" beat with interesting rhythms and syncopation. If all your lines are basically the same rhythmically, then that's more of a pop style than a hip-hop style.

4. I like the beat and the music, I'd work on improving the lyrics and vocal delivery. Good stuff man, keep at it!

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/16 17:43:14 (permalink)
    Badbid, I listened to the unprocesses vox again and it sounds so bad that I'd rather keep it private :) Maybe, it depends on the melody or the recording "hit-and-miss," though, because there's less vox processing in One-Night Wife (none in the verse, a bit in the chorus), and the vox sounds quite strong and clear there, especially the verse. I will try to do the self-mastering first, and then maybe even professional mastering to compare the difference in sound. But still waiting for the Garageband competition reviews to start coming, as usually it is possible to see a pattern in shortcomings that different people can spot and point out in the reviews.

Jamester, appreciate you spending what appears to be at least 5-7 minutes listening and reviewing! The lyrics are usually challenging not so much in writing them, but in making sure that nothing untoward makes it to the Internet. A Russian saying goes: "a word is not a sparrow - once the word flies out, you can't catch it." The same thing with the songs, especially available for downloading - once you post it, that's it, it's there forever, since people can download, copy, repost, etc. For that "it's an ultimate disgrace" line, the original version was "wasted life he can't replace" or "memories he can't erase." But then I thought, what if a drug dealer would be listening, and would, instead of realizing that his current situation is "an ultimate disgrace," find out that he can't replace his wasted life, let alone erase the memories? That could prevent a drug dealer from reforming! And my hope, naive as it could be, is to a) prevent people from becoming drug dealers and b) make the current dealers realize that sooner or later the sweet life will be over and the payback is going to be so harsh that it's not at all worth being in this business. Here in Vancouver the drug trade is flourishing, and being caught by police is not the worse thing that can occur - a few bullets in the dealer's breathless body happens fairly often and is much worse of a proposition.
    post edited by HiThere - 2008/11/16 17:44:31
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/19 12:41:11 (permalink)
    This is the third time I tried to listen to it in the past few days, but all I get is buffering, buffering, buffering... Garageband, eh? Seriously, why choose a service that makes it difficult for your music to be heard?! It makes no sense. Well, I guess my review will only provide one suggestion:

Soundclick.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Trusty
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 590
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/21 12:07:16 (permalink)

4. Anything else?

Thank you :)

1. Not at times. As someone who does (for better or worse) message music myself, I thought it was fine, and it is expresses the mentality of suburban white kids trying to act tough very well.

2. Production was good. Vocals up a bit too loud.

3. Must you ask? If you want to know...honestly, it's not even close. But that is a good thing and it really doesn't matter that it isn't "hip-hop". It is experimental hip-hop, but really, why care? I rap and make beats, and I'm not "hip-hop" either, and it bothers me not at all.

4. I like all your tracks.
    HiThere
    RE: [Track] Little Johnny (Hip-Hop) 2008/11/27 13:04:59 (permalink)
    Trusty, you are too kind!

Cryophonic, sorry that the Garageband player is giving you a hard time. Soundclick limits free accounts to 128 kbps MP3s, so that's why I didn't upload the song there. Would you be able to download an MP3 from GB and take a listen? If for some reason you still prefer Soundclick, I can upload there. Please, let me know.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1