OT - Thank you VETs

Author
robby
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5819
2008/11/11 12:31:48 (permalink)

OT - Thank you VETs

A sincere thank you on Veteran's day to all who serve and who have served to protect and defend our freedoms. You have my deepest respect and appreciation. I always used to call my dad and thank him on Veteran's day, but he passed 5 years ago. So a very special thank you to all Veterans. We could not do what we do without your support.

==================
It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby

23 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 12:34:05 (permalink)
    Agreed!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 12:36:35 (permalink)
    How right you are.

It will be a sorry day when we realize how great we have it because it's being taken away. Realize it now.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    notnat
    Max Output Level: -23 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5236
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 12:49:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: robby

A sincere thank you on Veteran's day to all who serve and who have served to protect and defend our freedoms. You have my deepest respect and appreciation. I always used to call my dad and thank him on Veteran's day, but he passed 5 years ago. So a very special thank you to all Veterans. We could not do what we do without your support.

As a proud US Navy veteran(1973-79), I thank you Robby...

post edited by notnat - 2008/11/11 13:03:22
    Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 12:57:54 (permalink)
    God bless those currently serving and those who have served. You have my sincere appreciation for defending our country, our rights and our freedom.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 14:19:19 (permalink)
    I was in the air force posted to Germany. One Remembrance Day I was assigned parade duty for ceremonies at a war cemetery somewhere near the french border. There were representatives of all the Allied powers... Americans, Brits (SAS - impressive bunch), Canadians. There was also a contingent of Germans (air force as well and the most ragtag group of long haired slackers I have ever seen in uniform, it was shocking, but I digress...).

Needless to say... we partied really hard in the local guest house in the small town the night before and we were all extremely hung over... but somehow we all pulled it together and got to the parade. I was standing in formation, overlooking the cemetery. The sound of bagpipes washed over me and the power of the place suddenly overwhelmed me. I realized that I was looking at the ghosts of the our boys... boys who gave their lives in defense of others... the single most noble way to die.

It took every ounce of my strength to not start to cry. Standing there in the dripping rain, choking back the tears I wondered if I would be capable of making the same sacrifice as these people did (including the German soldiers, who fought just as hard and are innocent of the decisions made by their leaders).

I will carry the remembrance of that feeling to my own grave.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 14:42:59 (permalink)
    that was beautiful, Shad.

thanks.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 15:11:40 (permalink)
    Robby, Shad & all...

Since the OP is off topic, I'll also share a ceremony story. Not a sad only, but kinda funny
    Scene: 40 degrees celsius (HOT).... "The lost soldiers grave", France 1990, some kind of 2. ww jubilee - don't remember what....50 yrs of something
    50 pro soldiers from the French foreign legion, all ruff guys with scars and tattoos etc...
    10 musicians from Norway, 5 drummers and bugelers + 40 soldiers, all doing their "present aaaaaaaaaaarms" (kids 18-20 doing service).

It was kinda a waiting situation - we waited almost 3 hours before the French president and Norwegian king arrived.

Anyways, headcount after the event: 50 Norwegian "kids" standing - 38 French legionairs standing, 12 fainted
    SteveStrummerUK
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 15:33:13 (permalink)

Amen to that.

Nicely put Robby.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

6StringGeek
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 19:44:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: foxwolfen
    I was in the air force posted to Germany.

Where at? I spent three years at Pruem AS, just outside of Bitburg. Loved it.

Edited to say thanks to Robby. Thanks Robby.
    post edited by 6StringGeek - 2008/11/11 19:45:18

-Inspiron 530s, Core2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 4MB cache
    -SONAR 7 Studio/EZDrummer/Lambda/Toneport UX1

"You want to walk away from your dreams, or do you want to come in
    here with me, like the Tenacious D I know, and change rock history!"

robby
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 20:27:39 (permalink)
    Frank, thank you sir, you have my utmost and highest respect.

Shad, I apologize for being a dick, thank you sir for your service. I don't apologize for anything dickish I may say in the future, but for anything from here previously, you have my humble and sincere apology.

6string, thank you sir, you have my utmost and highest respect.

I will buy anyone of you a beer or 6, any day and thank you again.

==================

JSGlen
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 856
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 21:43:45 (permalink)
    Thank you Robby for remembering. U.S.Marine 1966-70.

ADK Quad Pro, Intel Core i7 3770 IVB 3.5 Ghz, Windows 7 64
    Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 16 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply.  Apollo Quad Interface, Dangerous D-Box, Burl B2 ADC, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA LA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, Avid Artist Control. 

Sonar X3d

Pro Tools 11 & 10

Wavelab 8

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 23:30:31 (permalink)
    Much respect, Jay.

I was trained by Vietnam Marines (1979-82), during Carter's peacetime. I seriously honor and respect these VFWs, especially these my mentors.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    JSGlen
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/11 23:36:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Phillip! Anyone who has served their country has my respect also, you have mine!

Seagate 500G Sata 600 OS Drive, Seagate 1 TB Sata 600 Audio Drive, 16 gigs of ram, 700 watt Coolermaster Silent Pro power supply.  Apollo Quad Interface, Dangerous D-Box, Burl B2 ADC, UAD 2 Duo, Avalon 737, UA LA 610 MK II, UA 1176 LN Hardware, Focal CMS 65 monitors, Avid Artist Control. 

Sonar X3d

Pro Tools 11 & 10

Wavelab 8

robby
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/12 00:54:45 (permalink)
    Jay and phill, thank you both very much for serving, and a belated happy Veteran's Day!

==================

JSGlen
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/12 02:37:12 (permalink)
    Thanks again Robby.

Sonar X3d

Pro Tools 11 & 10

Wavelab 8

Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/12 09:31:15 (permalink)

I was in the air force posted to Germany. . .

The sound of bagpipes washed over me and the power of the place suddenly overwhelmed me. I realized that I was looking at the ghosts of the our boys... boys who gave their lives in defense of others... the single most noble way to die.

It took every ounce of my strength to not start to cry. Standing there in the dripping rain, choking back the tears I wondered if I would be capable of making the same sacrifice as these people did (including the German soldiers, who fought just as hard and are innocent of the decisions made by their leaders).

Robby thank you for the thread and for the opportunity it affords to sincerely thank those here that have served the cause of the democratic freedom that most of us here enjoy (and have the freedom to moan about, particularly during election times... ). I hope you all can bear with me for one last thought I have on the subject.

Shad that was an awesome post and as the season of Remembrance here (and I note 'over there' too) passes for another year it couldn't have been more poignant for me.

I spent several years living next to an abandoned WWII bomber station (actually if you live anywhere on the East of England its nigh impossible to be more than 5 miles away from an ex. RAF or a US 8th Air Force one) and I swear that every day you could hear the drone of one of the planes that never came back and feel the heaviness in the stomach that the real grisly business that 'Maximum Effort' once meant.

The USAAF by day and the RAF by night took the war to Nazi Germany in the only way that it could at that time using the blunt instrument of strategic bombardment and incurring a massive loss of life to the civilian population. This policy was put forward by the military leaders at the time as the only means of effectively waging war and was carried out without question by the brave and professional men who served to implement the policy, which incidentally was vindicated by Albert Speer as being a MAJOR factor toward the downfall of the third reich.

After the war the powers that be (notably including Churchill) washed their hands of this policy because of the numbers of civilian deaths that rivalled and maybe even surpassed those caused by the two atomic bombs dropped on Japan in 1945. The result was that those that served and fought on in that campaign knowing they had a roughly evens chance of surviving weren't even acknowledged post war with as much as a campaign medal let alone any kind of memorial merely because of the political bad taste that remained and that is still true to this day.

Of the many of those that served in this campaign a large proportion were Canadian nationals fighting for the UK and serving as were the nationals of many then 'commonwealth' nations and it is completely humbling for me that these heroic individuals died for a foreign country who never even had the guts to thank them.

All of which serves underline what is completely relevant today, we may without hesitation question our leaders and their often ill advised foreign policies, but never ever forget the selfless dedication and preparedness of THOSE THAT SERVE to make the supreme sacrifice to uphold those policies without question.

Thank you for tolerating my indulgence

....Lest we forget.....

http://www.rafbombercommand.com/memorialfund/

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/12 10:14:30 (permalink)
    (including the German soldiers, who fought just as hard and are innocent of the decisions made by their leaders)

It's great to see respect from one soldier to an adversary. My grandfather who served in WWII instilled this in our family... even though he himself suffered in combat, he never blamed the enemy soldiers for the faults of their leaders. It must be very difficult--yet very spiritually rewarding--to reach the point where you can honor your mortal enemy.

Anyway, wow, what an amazing thread... it's humbling to read the personal experiences & realize how many of you answered the ultimate call to duty. notnat, fox, M.Man, 6String, JS, Philip, and all the others lurking ...sincere thanks for your service!!

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/12 12:49:52 (permalink)
    Was about to send a PM to Robby, but hey...it might be a piece of "interresting" info for everyone.... or not

No action (aka "war") on this guy (and thanks for that..) - a tad young for that, since I'm only 39 and Norway only has (and have) "volounteers" in action abroad. (UN forces).

The ceremony-story from France was ment to be a "fun" one..... French pro soldiers from the Foreign Legion parading http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Foreign_Legionvs. Norwegian kids (myself included) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMKG.

My service was as a "bugeler", playing at a zillion ceremonies, from funerals to "good night king"-signal at the Royal castle to the event above, to ceremonies 4. july for the US Embassador to.....4 yrs later (doong service again...) at the olympics in 1994.

Anyways... be proud of the men and women that risk (and have) there lives to make this earth to be a better place for all!
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/12 15:04:59 (permalink)

Shad, I apologize for being a dick, thank you sir for your service. I don't apologize for anything dickish I may say in the future, but for anything from here previously, you have my humble and sincere apology.

I sincerely appreciate it. I need to work a bit harder on my patience it seems as well. I apologize to you for loosing it.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Platano
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 443
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/12 23:37:32 (permalink)
    Hi Robby, Notnat and All: Proud Navy Vet, HS-2, USS Enterprise, 74-78. When Saigon fell, and later when Idi Amin grabbed the missionaries (we never found him, he was likely in Libya..). Anyhow, I'm in touch with 3 other bandmates from the band we had on the Enterprise (76-77). From my soundclick website, you'll see the URL for MoeFletcher. There are 2 MP3's there with the 2 tunes we played in the talent show on the Enterprise (1977). Preserved it over these 30 some years (10" reel, to casette, to digital). Joe

ORIGINAL: notnat

As a proud US Navy veteran(1973-79), I thank you Robby...

robby
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/13 00:05:14 (permalink)
    I can't say enough for you guys, and your service. I missed the draft, by a couple of years. I didn't plan it that way, it just happened..

Had I been drafted, or had I volunteered, I believe I would have been a sniper, based on my skills, (accuracy and predilection for killing without remorse).

I have major respect for those who have served and protected my rights. Thank you all.

==================

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/13 07:49:25 (permalink)
    My thoughts goes out to all the vets.

My grandpa died during ww2 he was only 32. I never got to see him let alone know him and that hurts!! I have photos and that all! He was buried overseas.

CLEAN
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: OT - Thank you VETs 2008/11/15 12:14:01 (permalink)
    U.S. Navy - 1971 - 1973 - VA-22 Attack Squadron - Vietnam.

THE PUGTONES
    Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1