OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 10:40:09 (permalink)
You're comparing apples and oranges.
Hendrix used different amps (Fender Showmans and then Marshall stacks) than SRV (Fender Twin Reverbs and other small amps). Different distortion boxes as well (SRV used Tube Screamers and I forget what Jimi used). Jimi's guitar setup was way different than SRV's (pickups, strings, lefty vs righty). Are you sure you aren't confusing a difference in sound between the 2 artists?

No I am not. I am talking about the recordings only. I use SRV because its a very close version. Nearly note for note. If you believe that some things can't be well recorded then your argument would have legs. I don't.

Best
John
Jim Roseberry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 10:44:49 (permalink)
I guess we are getting too used to perfection these days.

Perfection is such a fickle ideal...
Remove too much of the imperfection from a performance... and it sounds artificial.
Too many imperfections... and a performance just sounds BAD.

I think this brings us back to the song.
A great song trumps everything.
A great song combined with a great performance is a classic.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
John
Forum Host
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 10:46:46 (permalink)
Yup, been there, done that. I listen every time with a critical ear and can tell what saturated tape and clipping on analog gear sounds like. Done some time in a studio in the 70's in Philly on both sides of the glass. You want to know how critical an ear I have? I can hear the phase distortions on audio on broadcast concerts that just aren't there on the cd or dvd of that concert. I can tell when something is either an original or close copy.

If this is true then you have to hear how bad they are. If you don't then you are lying.

Best
John
jackn2mpu
Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2765
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 10:46:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: John

You're comparing apples and oranges.
Hendrix used different amps (Fender Showmans and then Marshall stacks) than SRV (Fender Twin Reverbs and other small amps). Different distortion boxes as well (SRV used Tube Screamers and I forget what Jimi used). Jimi's guitar setup was way different than SRV's (pickups, strings, lefty vs righty). Are you sure you aren't confusing a difference in sound between the 2 artists?

No I am not. I am talking about the recordings only. I use SRV because its a very close version. Nearly note for note. If you believe that some things can't be well recorded then your argument would have legs. I don't.

Didn't say that some things can't be well recorded. I'm just pointing out that you are comparing two very different styles. And until you can say you've actually listened to the master tapes, you're argument isn't really valid. There can well be differences between what is on a master tape and what is on a master disc, whether it's for vinyl or cd. If the person cutting the master disc doesn't pay attention to what they are doing, than the final product can not be what's on the master tape. Ditto for cd's, which is why the newest Metallica cd is trash - nobody knows for sure where it happened, but the levels that are on the cd are way too hot, while the mp3 digital downloads aren't.

Jack
Qapla!
jackn2mpu
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 10:50:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jim Roseberry

I guess we are getting too used to perfection these days.

Remove too much of the imperfection from a performance... and it sounds artificial.

Amen, brother.
Perfection can be really boring, lifeless and dull (unless you like techno).

Jack
Qapla!
John
Forum Host
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 10:54:34 (permalink)
Didn't say that some things can't be well recorded. I'm just pointing out that you are comparing two very different styles. And until you can say you've actually listened to the master tapes, you're argument isn't really valid. There can well be differences between what is on a master tape and what is on a master disc, whether it's for vinyl or cd. If the person cutting the master disc doesn't pay attention to what they are doing, than the final product can not be what's on the master tape. Ditto for cd's, which is why the newest Metallica cd is trash - nobody knows for sure where it happened, but the levels that are on the cd are way too hot, while the mp3 digital downloads aren't.

What is the point? If its on the record and or the CDs its what I hear. If its on every version of the same take it tends to mean its on the master. Maybe you don't know what I am talking about. Or you can't get the concept. If you can show me a non distorted version then I will say its something else. Yes I do know the difference between recorded distortion and intentional distortion.

Best
John
John
Forum Host
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 10:58:14 (permalink)

In recording its called High Fidelity. It has nothing to do with the performance. It has everything to do with taking the time to be sure that you are capturing it right.

Best
John
Keni
Max Output Level: -17.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5769
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 11:01:58 (permalink)
How very sad....

I haven't read the details yet, but I hope it was peaceful...

The man was not only a great musician and inspiration to so many people the world over, but he had a wonderful attitude towards people as well as music...

I know that I will miss him more than I can say... I've been a devotee since the first recordings I heard back in the 60's... and I've seen him perform a number of times.... Some of the greatest concert thrills of my life....

A Very Sad Day Indeed!

Keni

Keni Fink
Keni - Facebook
Deep Space Records
http://www.reverbnation.com/inexile
http://www.cdbaby.com/artist/inexile
Out Of My Head Music (BMI)

SPlat/MacPro/Dual Xeon 3.06GHz 6-core (12 total)/64GB/Win8.1X64/Presonus 1818VSL/Soundscape SS8IO-1
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 11:05:35 (permalink)

Roger that Mr Roseberry..........

Regards

Garry Kiosk
post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2008/11/13 11:06:02

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
drumr
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 683
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 11:20:24 (permalink)
Bad Ass drummer. Sad thing! :-(
Jim Roseberry
  • Total Posts : 9871
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 12:33:17 (permalink)
They can't be fixed or modified because its on the master tapes. BTW many Motown classic recordings suffer from the same problem.

I understand...
You can hear distorted vocals all over Motown hits.
You can hear distortion in lots of modern records too (Jagged Little Pill, Vapor Trails, etc).
Don't like it... but it's there.

Hi-Fi back in the late 60s is not exactly what many would call Hi-Fi by today's standards.
And yes... it's ironic that with today's potential fidelity being greater than ever... we're compressing/limiting the snot out of records and distributing via MP3 (lossy compressed).

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say Eddie Cramer was a bad engineer.
I'd like to have half of his experiences/success. LOL

Back to Mitch Mitchell:
My favorite performance is his is on the tune Fire. Tons of energy and syncopation...

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
jim@studiocat.com
www.studiocat.com
John
Forum Host
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 12:42:20 (permalink)
Back to Mitch Mitchell:
My favorite performance is his is on the tune Fire. Tons of energy and syncopation...

A truly great drummer.
Hi-Fi back in the late 60s is not exactly what many would call Hi-Fi by today's standards.
And yes... it's ironic that with today's potential fidelity being greater than ever... we're compressing/limiting the snot out of records and distributing via MP3 (lossy compressed).

I am not impressed by a name I am impressed by good work. He dropped the ball here. HI FI was big at that time. Many great recordings were done that can stand up today. The noise was/is a problem but beyond that many records were simply great in the care taken in their recording.

I understand...
You can hear distorted vocals all over Motown hits.
You can hear distortion in lots of modern records too (Jagged Little Pill, Vapor Trails, etc).
Don't like it... but it's there.

Somehow I knew you would! Listen to the symbols on any of those recordings. You hit it right.

Best
John
ohhey
  • Total Posts : 11676
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 13:11:38 (permalink)
Wow... what can I stay. There were so many things that were just not OK for drummers to do till Mitch just "did it anyway". He was the only drummer that could really blend with the style Jimi was doing at the time. No offense to Buddy Miles he was great in his own way and played with all kinds of big names including Band of Gypsys with Jimi Hendrix. But Mitch... he was the one that just clicked with Jimi and made the sound of the Experiance. He will be missed.
orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 16:07:51 (permalink)
What a shame.
Mitch Mitchell gone.
what a shame.
that this thread has deteriorated from paying respect to a legendary musician to some dumbass drivel about recording levels
John
Forum Host
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 16:16:08 (permalink)
that this thread has deteriorated from paying respect to a legendary musician to some dumbass drivel about recording levels
What a shame you don't understand what was being said.

Best
John
jackn2mpu
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 17:03:56 (permalink)

In recording its called High Fidelity. It has nothing to do with the performance. It has everything to do with taking the time to be sure that you are capturing it right.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the sound you are complaining about is the sound Kramer was going for? Not everybody likes a clean pristine sound.

Jack
Qapla!
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 17:10:58 (permalink)
Let's all agree that John is RIGHT, (even if he's not), or we'll never get back to what this thread should be about, the honoring of a great drummer that has just passed away.
jackn2mpu
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 17:17:00 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

Let's all agree that John is RIGHT, (even if he's not), or we'll never get back to what this thread should be about, the honoring of a great drummer that has just passed away.

Okay. Weird thing was I was watching a thing on TV with The Who and they were talking about Keith Moon when my wife called over from her computer where she was surfing and mentioned about Mitchell's passing. Must admit, they've got a heck of a rhythm section going on up there!

Jack
Qapla!
John
Forum Host
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 17:33:58 (permalink)
Have you ever stopped to think that maybe the sound you are complaining about is the sound Kramer was going for? Not everybody likes a clean pristine sound.

If that were true it is very odd. I am not talking about what some like in analog its pure and simple distortion due to incompetence. If it was intended then he is a fool. Jimi didn't need him to put his mark on it. Further I bought the album and paid good money for it. I wanted to hear the musicians not the recordists. It should not be recorded in such a way that it obscures the music. That is just plain wrong.

BTW what we are discussing is every bit as on topic as any thing else on this thread.

Best
John
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 18:19:54 (permalink)

BTW what we are discussing is every bit as on topic as any thing else on this thread.

Maybe in another thread John.

Someone just died remember.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

Litewave
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 138
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 20:12:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jackn2mpu

Rest in peace Mitch Mitchell

Personally, Im glad that it sounds the way it does. Thats the way I way I remember it sounding, different. John could be right though, maybe he did miss the boat on that recording, but all in all, I would'nt have it any other way. I Think it fits that time slot in history.

Sincerely,
Litewave

AMD 9950 Quad, Asus M3a78-T, 8gb G-Skill, 630 watt pwr, Vista Ult 64, 2 WD RE 500gb internal, 2WD 500GB MyBook EXT, Axiom 49, Cubase5.5, Sonar X1 PE, Profire 2626, Komplete 5, BFD2, Groove Agent 3.x Omnisphere
24 " LCD and 22 " LC
montezuma
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2520
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 20:20:37 (permalink)
Leave it to good old John to get into a fight in a thread about the death of a great rock musician.
evansmalley
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 715
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/13 21:23:51 (permalink)
Leave it to good old John to get into a fight in a thread about the death of a great rock musician.

and it IS freakin Jimi Hendrix's band
and that was a great rock musician
artsoul
Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1985
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/14 08:03:56 (permalink)

Louie Louie (muddy mix - can't understand the vox)

That's why the FBI investigated it (they might have been calling for insurrection

+1 on sadness for mitch's passing
feedback50
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 564
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/14 11:52:40 (permalink)
I had a friend at my day-gig that went to the Hendrix retrospective concert here in Portland over the weekend. Mitch was billed to appear but he said there were two drum kits on stage and another drummer played the bulk of the concert. There was no lighting on the second kit, but he said that during one song he saw a figure seated at the drums and begin to play. The lights came up a bit on the second kit, and you could tell it was Mitch. He played for a part of one song and the lights went back down and he left the show. I'm guessing he was in poor health (for whatever reason).

As for recording technology. Not all projects were high budget, or could afford to spend 6 months in the studio. Not all great live players flourised in the studio either. Louie Louie was a Portland product (in all it's radiant glory). I'm not sure which studio did Louie Louie, but I suspect it may have been Northwest. (I did a few sessions there in the old days.) I used to jam with Jack Ely in my brother's basement (the song was recorded when the band was known as Jack Ely and the Courtmen). The band name changed to the Kingsmen sometime later. Norm Sundholm (Sunn amps),Lynn Easton, and Don Gallucci (Don and the Goodtimes) were members in that era. Jack refused to sing Louie Louie at most of the jams until he had consumed about two quart bottles of beer (pretty much everyone had by that time, as well). Good times on Corbet Street in the 60s.

Recording tech has come a long way since then, but it didn't seem to stop people from making very good, and pretty bad recordings back then. I had a friend who swore that the Paul Revere (another Portland act) version of Louie Louie that was allegedly done live, was actually done at Northwest, as well. The crowd noises were recorded later at a Portland Beavers AAA game. He claimed you can push the volume during the fade-out on that track and hear the crack of the bat just before the crowd cheers. Ahh, for the old days of ghetto recording.
post edited by feedback50 - 2008/11/14 11:53:46
aleef
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 431
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/14 21:31:43 (permalink)
God Bless You Mitch, Buddy,Noel and Jimi...yeah man! THE EXPERIENCE....and John those records are just that..they are what they are....and still sound incredible.......

Intel i7 3820 3.6 GHz
ASUS Sabertooth X79 16Gb   
SonarX2PE ProTools 11 
RME HDSP9632
BRainbow
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 399
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/14 22:00:04 (permalink)
I must agree with John that the Hendrix recordings are not so great. It is hard to crank the volume, even on a connesseur stereo/monitor system, and approach the type of dynamics and power that the Experience emanated live. It is pretty flat. Compare them with Led Zeppelin's first from the same era.

Than being said, I would not trade any of the multiple copies I have of any Hendrix album for albums of any other artist.

On a somber note, I am booked into the Benson Hotel in Portland Monday night and it will be hard to think of anything but Mitch while staying there. He could really keep up with Jimi and often save him when Jimi ventured too far from Jupiter's sulphur mines on the outskirts of his arrhythmic meditations.
post edited by BRainbow - 2008/11/15 00:36:48

Cakewalk (forever), Two WIN10 64-bit DAWs: home-brew ASRock x299 Taichi / i7 7820x w/ 64GB RAM and ASUS X99A-II / i7-5820K w/ 32GB RAM, ZOOM UAC 8, Mackie ONYX 1640i FW Mixer/Interface, Mackie ONYX 1200F, Avalon U5 PreAmp, NI Komplete 11 Ultimate, EastWest Composer CloudX, Yamaha MOTIF XS8, Ensoniq SD-1 and ESQ-1, Korg M1rEX, Yamaha TX-81Z, Roland D110, Line6 HELIX Rack and Native, POD HD-Pro, POD Farm 2.5, Yamaha NS-10 and Presonus Eris E8 monitors, Yamaha Disklavier Upright Piano, mics, guitars, basses, and the cutest little tambourine.
DW_Mike
Max Output Level: -6 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6907
RE: OT- RIP Mitch Mitchell 2008/11/14 22:46:10 (permalink)
Big Mitch fan here. He was and is an influence on my playing. He will be missed.

Mike

Sonar X3 ~ Scarlett 18i6 ~ Home Build DAW  
GA-Z77X-UD5H
Intel i7 3770k 4.2GHz
32GB RAM Crucial Ballistix Elite (4x8) 
2x Samsung 250GB SSD 
1TB WD Black HDD @ 7200RPM 6Gb/s 64MB 
Corsair H80i Liquid cooler 
Noctua Silent Fans ~ 3x120mm ~ 1x140mm 
Seasonic Platinum 760w PSU 
Windows 7 Pro 64Bit.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2