Virus

Author
wickerman
Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1039
2008/11/13 18:30:23 (permalink)

Virus

It's been some months since I've been able to play any guitar or bass due to some hand issues the past few months (stupid me - Golden Tee Golf = busted up bird finger, show breakdown = busted up thumb), hey the break was nice!

I've just started working on this over the past week - I'm thinking a more dry percussive guitar is really what's in order, as well as the drums being more dynamic with a flatter kick. This is four guitars for harmony and a very overdriven bass line w/ pick and a bit of some vocals.

I do believe I am going to re-track the whole thjing in a few weeks, just need to let my thumb heal some more.

Any comments are appreciated and will be put in my bag of brain cells for when I get back to this in earnest.

Link is in sig, I hope under stream tune...... TIA!

10 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Virus 2008/11/13 19:11:24 (permalink)
    hey nice guitar tone. what you using?

the cymbals on the drums are annoying, dunno what you're using, but i'd change it...

nice use of harmony in the main guitar riff/chordal section. needs something else, i think you know that. still, it's nice to hear some blackened death metal on here!!!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Virus 2008/11/13 19:35:46 (permalink)
    it was all cracklely on your web site
    Mamabear
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: Virus 2008/11/13 19:46:10 (permalink)
    Wow--I can't imagine how you play when your thumb is fine! Great playing!
    zgraf
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 350
    RE: Virus 2008/11/14 10:00:00 (permalink)
    Yes, the version on your music page is crackily. Perhaps something isn't quite working right.
    I was able to listen to the tune with the .m3u from the "Stream tune" link, however.
    Good playing.
    I hear some faint growls and vocals in there starting around 0:30 (?), but they are hard to make out.
    Maybe bring them up a few dB in the mix.
    Also, I think the level on the drums is a bit lower than what one might expect in this genre (but what do I know?)
    You could try parallel compression or something to beef them up.
    Or maybe just consider bringing the guitar tracks down a notch. Right now the guitar is so hot it's obliterating everything else
    in the mix. I don't think you'll lose too much if you dropped them a couple dB.

-john
    wickerman
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1039
    RE: Virus 2008/11/14 11:56:17 (permalink)
    Thanks, the mixdown is 48KHz - maybe that can account for some cracking sound. I am dealing with some cracking samples in the drum program and do agree they need more 'thwump', right now my plan is to go back and change out some sounds and restructure alot of the cymbals then export each sound to it's own wav file and mix the drums that way then import into a new mix. I think I'm ready to move onto another drum program next year though - this is too tedious for me anymore and I often murder the overall structure by the time I'm 'finished' building the track.

The guitars are pretty large, a tad too hot IMO - so I'll revisit the sound itself and go for a more dry flat sound similar to that from ...And Justice for All. I am going to need 4 tracks minimum for the main guiatrs as that's what builds the chaotic harmony, I tried tree and just two playing off each other - the results were not the same as four, double exact parts and two that were different from the other remaining three. FYI, I'm using the V-Amp 2 with a custom preset(s)

The bass I'm in the air on - I might have to do a hybrid track with some picked and then some fingered. This bass track may also be contributing to the cracking as it is very very overdriven, much like Cliff Burtons' sound. Too much I think, so OD will be dropped in favour of a cleaner bass line that doubles the guitar and branches out.

I tried dropping the guitars but found that I never got the drum impact I want - so I went for the middle ground which buries the impact of the drums.

The vocals are going to be pretty rough, Ron Royce of Coroner is my inspiration for the vocals in this song, still working on that part lyrically. So what's there now is just a reminder, the actual lyrics through that part are already different.

Thanks all, this one is going to be in the oven for a little while while I figure out everything for it using your comments.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Virus 2008/11/15 09:21:55 (permalink)
    Ah, I do like a nice wistful ballad..! Just kidding.

Terry, I think you did a good job with the guitars here, it's not easy to get that huge wall of sound without it turning to white noise. The last minute or so could use some variation, but I know you're still in the writing stage.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    drumstixkev
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2709
    RE: Virus 2008/11/15 09:58:18 (permalink)
    Great job nice full sound. I don't hear the bass line to much in the mix. I think I'll go break my fingers and see if it makes me sound that good on the guitar.

LATER

VoxBoxStudio music made with SONAR & SONiCA AUDIO LAB computers.   Website http://drumstixkev.wix.com/voxboxstudio 

M. Man
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 770
    RE: Virus 2008/11/15 10:42:31 (permalink)
    Also got the crackles...
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Virus 2008/11/15 11:25:38 (permalink)
    Not so sure what the crackling is about. I'm set to play 48..it sure had me going though. I was checking my stuff then figuered "Virus" it must be part of the tune..lol

Well sounded like some good stuff going on in the background.

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    RE: Virus 2008/11/17 21:00:43 (permalink)
    Terry,
    I got the crackling too but I could hear it well enough to know it grooves! Heavy and cool. Always killer tone from you! Hope you heal up quickly but you are sounding pretty well nonetheless.

Rock on!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1