Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved)

Author
Rosco
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 168
2008/11/14 14:32:57 (permalink)

Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved)

Hi all,
I am trying to install Dim Pro on my imac. Disk 1 runs up to the point where the install starts, then a drop down menu appears which says..

"An error occurred that prevented the installation completing"

Above the installation bar it says.."Items remaining to be installed 50" Below the bar it says."Searching Macintosh HD"

Have tried several times and the same happens, have tried 'Easy install' and 'Custom install'

I have P5 installed on the mac using VMware Fusion. Dim Pro has installed there with no problem.

I am using an imac 2.66Ghz, 2gig ram with the latest version of OS X.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Rosco
post edited by Rosco - 2008/11/16 14:34:00

7 Replies Related Threads

Rosco
    RE: Help needed with Dim Pro install on imac...SOLVED 2008/11/14 14:51:02 (permalink)
    Red face time.

Just spotted the anwser at the top of this forum

Rosco
    Rosco
    RE: Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved) 2008/11/16 14:42:48 (permalink)
    Hi all
    Has anybody succsesfully installed Dim Pro on an iMac??
    Tried the above link and after many efforts have not been able to install.
    I have downloaded the update to aid installation, I follow the instructions, but each time I try it fails at the same point.
    Is there a knack to this that I an missing??
    Any help would be mock appriciated.
    Rosco
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved) 2008/11/17 13:33:46 (permalink)
    Did you download the "update" to 1.3, or the "updated installer" to 1.3?
    For a clean install, where you need the samples of the disks, you must use the updated installer.
    From your earlier post, it sounds like you're in this camp, so I'd make sure you have the correct version of the .dmg file first.

It's unfortunate that there were two versions released, as opposed to a single version that asks you if you want to install the samples. I think they could have saved themselves (and us) a lot of issues had that been the case.

In any event. Give that a try and report back.

Good luck,
    - zevo
    Rosco
    RE: Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved) 2008/11/18 15:00:33 (permalink)

Hi zevo

Thanks for the reply, I'm having no joy with this.

There is no update" to 1.3, or the "updated installer" to 1.3 anymore, only a 1.3 installer, so I guess that's the one.(when open its called "Dimension Pro v1.3 FULL")

I start to run it, it asks for a sample path, I accept the one it offers, it starts to install samples. With 13 items left to install it stops and a drop down box appears saying the status bar will no longer update and the rest of the installation will take 25 mins, I click on "ok". It then says insert disc 1, I do so and click ok, another box appears saying " Please insert disc 1 to continue" I just have, so i tick ok, the same box reappears asking me to insert disc 1 again... and so it goes on , disc 1 is not recognised. There is nothing wrong with the disc because I have just installed Dim Pro on the pc part of the same iMac.

Also I am unable to eject the disc to try inserting it again because it says the disc is in use and cannot be ejected.

The instructions on the cakewalk site says load Dim Pro first. What happens if I try is explained in my first post at the top of this thread.

Sorry for this being so long winded, but I wanted to explain exactly what was happening in the hope you could see where I am going wrong.

Perhaps you could explain exactly how you managed this

Many thanks

Rosco
    inmazevo
    RE: Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved) 2008/11/18 15:39:18 (permalink)
    I went to the download site for the update, and they've changed it since I've been there last.
    Looks to be one download now, but then you choose which .dmg file to run after you've expanded it:
    "Dimension Pro 1.3 Update.dmg"
    "Dimension Pro 1.3 Leopard Installer.dmg"

An odd choice to bundle it in one unit, when you have to then select the correct one from both anyway.
    I suppose it doesn't matter when you have to choose... at download time (like it was)... or at execution time (like it is now).

Anyway...

I'm assuming you're running the correct one, since it's asking you for disks and THEN failing.
    You seem to have fallen into the hole that some other users have reported, as your report sounds like that (starts and then bails out).

I have two theories as to what's going on:
    1. The installer will fail in this manner if you've previously tried, and failed, to install an older version (like 1.1 or 1.2) on Leopard. If this is the case, you can search your system for all the Dim Pro files (preference files, the components files, the program files, the Dim Pro Applications directory, and the multisamples). I think that's all of them. Perhaps removing those and trying again would help.
    2. Some Macs have issues with the some of the Dim Pro sample disks (or, the unzipping app, 7zip, has issues getting at the data). I've seen this before with other apps (Battery 3), so it's a possibility as well. My solution was to use an external DVD drive to install the data (for Battery, in this case), but another option would be to copy the data from the Windows side of the machine to the multisamples directory on the Mac.

At some point, I think someone posted a hack to get a new 7zip app going to fix that possibility, but I don't remember the thread.

I'd try the second one first, since you already have the data installed, and the Mac side will be able to copy the directory over.
    That would be the easiest thing to do, since it sounds like it's actually finished the non-multisample installs. The second one seems more likely anyway.

Hopefully, one of those will get you going, but I know it's frustrating.
    I was lucky, I suppose... the installer worked fine for me, but you're not alone in your situation.

Good luck,
    - zevo

(ps - what's up with the funky text on the Dim Pro 1.3 update page, or am I the only one seeing funky characters?)
    post edited by inmazevo - 2008/11/18 15:42:44
    Rosco
    RE: Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved) 2008/11/20 10:08:18 (permalink)
    Hi zevo

Well,,, I've done it,, Dim Pro is working. I now have it in P5 on a virtual hard drive which was the one that I had no problem with.
    Its also now working in OS X Leopard in both Live and Logic Pro 8. Fantastic.

I tried your suggestion, but with a few differences, though I'm still not sure why its working.
    I created an empty folder in the VST plugins folder in Audio in my home directory on the Mac, directed the install to that folder, ran install till it crashed in all the usual places as before.
    Then I opened the virtual HD (I'm using VMware fusion) drag and dropped Dim Pro from P5 in Windows into the empty folder I had created, and hey presto, it worked!!
    The reason I'm surprised is that I copied a Windows version and dropped it on a Mac HD, also I didn't use disc 2, but as far as I can see nothings missing and so far all the presets and tweaks I've tried work. The only thing that did not copy over was the 2 free extension packs which I can download.

I think it was your idea of copying the files over that did the trick.
    Many many thanks for your time and your help in getting this sorted.
    I was about to give the idea up as a no no.
    What a great forum this is.

A great big thank you

Rosco
    inmazevo
    RE: Help with Dim Pro install on imac.(Solved)(Not Solved) 2008/11/20 18:49:19 (permalink)
    Glad it worked out.

- zevo
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1