cover song keyboard

Author
rj70
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 19
2008/11/20 04:16:30 (permalink)

cover song keyboard

I am looking to start up a cover band with some friends and am looking for a resource for finding the keyboard patches used. for example the keyboard intro in Journeys 'separate ways'. I know it's an ensonique ts10. Any ideas?

6 Replies Related Threads

DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: cover song keyboard 2008/11/20 08:33:16 (permalink)
    This one would be great for my new (theoretical) book: Things bands don't understand about thier keyboard players.

Chapter 1: Lets move it up a fret.

In which the guitar player, singer, bass player, and drumer agree at the last moment that a song should be in a different key and everyone should just move up a fret and don't understand why you can't whip off tiny dancer in D flat on the fly.

Chapter 2: Can you play play all our parts -- and do it now please.

In which it is suggested that it would be great if the piano part could duplicate the bass, include the guitar chords, and also the vocal melody all at the same time. Seeing you only heard these parts for the first time three minutes ago you can have 5 min the think about it. I don't understand the problem, Monk does it all the time?

Chapter 3 (added for you): Set the controls for the heart of the who

"Ok, just make your keyboard sound like Baba O'reily and lets start."

I know I have been no help at all. You might want to ask on KVR. Some of those guys are pretty good at identifying synths and patches. The first ten responses will insult you calling you newbie. The next 10 will assume that because you don't know how to program bethoveens 5th on a minomoog that you can't play an instrument. Without asking they will suggest you go take piano lessons. The next 10 postings will tell you that nobody cares about things that you care about and that you really should be playing minimal ghetto house trance because that is what Bach would be programming if he were alive.

Amongs all these posts somebody will be able to help yoyu.
    rj70
    RE: cover song keyboard 2008/11/20 13:56:48 (permalink)
    ummmmm, thanks, i think
    Lemonboy
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 679
    RE: cover song keyboard 2008/11/20 14:38:12 (permalink)
    As DerGeist finally does get around to saying KVR www.kvraudio.com is a good place to look.

But I don't think you were clear on whether you actually have an Ensoniq TS10 on which to load the patch, or wanted to try and match it on another synth altogether (and if so which one), and/or whether you are after advice on what would be a good keyboard/workstation/vst for a covers band?
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: cover song keyboard 2008/11/20 14:42:53 (permalink)
    This is why patch libraries are popular -- they claim to imitate this or that sound from pop recordings.

I don't have much experience in this world, but I've kept my eyes open and seen how gigging players do it.

If you are serious about this, you'll need a good general purpose keyboard synth -- something like the Roland Fantom, Korg Triton, Yamaha Motif, Kurz K2600 -- they do it all, and there are many libraries available you can buy to fit your playing style. Alternatives are the Alesis and red Nord keyboards. The Nord Stage is especially made for this kind of thing and has modules for all your gigging needs -- Hammond, acoustic and electric pianos, and synth, however, I'm not aware of libraries on the market for the Stage. You'll have to explore this.

Another alternative is to buy the synth that fits your focus -- there's still plenty of used DX7s for 80s pop, Korg M1s around for 90s pop, etc.

One final suggestion -- check out the Keyboard Magazine forum. Over there you'll find many road warriors who play all kinds of stuff every week. They're loaded with good advice about how to get a particular sound.

--kwgm
    DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: cover song keyboard 2008/11/20 15:02:07 (permalink)
    I come from the Garrison Keillor school of forum posting where no answer can be buried too deeply in a rambling story.
    rj70
    RE: cover song keyboard 2008/11/24 01:48:49 (permalink)
    I was looking more for a vst plugin
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1