I met Dusty springfield

Author
dappa1
Max Output Level: -46 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2949
2008/11/23 05:41:37 (permalink)

I met Dusty springfield

yes i did

I opened my computer aas the unit was making alot of noise. It was very very quiet when i bought my computer but noticed of late it was louder than my Fridge Freezer!

My recordings have static all over it I press record with the MIC muted and i still hear a little hum. Not sure if what I did next helped and I may need some advice on this. (Jim) if you are around (please/thanks in advance).

I opened the Unit on my fans guess what yes Dust, on the sound card yes thats right. I got to work straight away. Yes I did uh huh! Cant be having that no no. No no so I removed thew fans brush them out, the circuit board and the sound card itself (not an SB) Phew! I blew in areas that i could not reach and achooo! Oh Dear.

Turned the computer on and Silence of the Lambs. My littel Lamb was chewing cud again.

but again if you have pressed record and muted the mic shuld you be haring a little hum from the track you wish to record on i find this a bit weird. I thought it could be my mixing desk. so i disconnected it so that my system would runb through the soundcard only. and guess what? WHAT? i hear you cry...it was worse.

has anyone been through this and if so what tips have you got.?

my sound card as some would know is the EMU 0404 pci.

Thanks in advance.

I know i aint the popular guys like like erm well cant thionk of any but hey even if no one answers the question atleast say hi lol

16 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 06:38:12 (permalink)
    I met Dusty springfield

I hope it wasn't recently.

Best
    John
    b3gsus@msn.com
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1293
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 07:01:39 (permalink)
    I hope it wasn't recently.
    Me TOO......

Wildman,,aka,,,"Nick Danger"
    Studiocat Core2Quad Q9550 w/P45 Cset XP-Pro Sonar Pro 8, 2 FF 800, Wclock, Avalon VT-737, Focusrite V Master,Eureka, 2-LA-4s, Neumann U87,TLM-103,Rode NTK,MCU,Event SP8s, DynAudio BM5As VS-2480 4 DA88
    2-Mackie 24/8buss
    Rothchild
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1479
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 07:09:30 (permalink)
    You need to rebuild the signal path out from the soundcard to determine where the problem is, if you unplug everything from the soundcard and record some silence if you still have the hum then the issue is likely somewhere in your computer. You may want to open it up again and make sure everything is seated in it's slots properly after your Dusty Springcleaning.

If you don't capture the Hum with absolutely nothing connected that would indicate that it's coming in from something you've got connected, so you just need to work backwards from the sound card input, cable, mixer / instrument etc.

Good luck
    Child
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 07:16:29 (permalink)
    What have you done to deserve this?

<shakes head>
    dappa1
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 07:29:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Mr Rothchild i will try that.

I have no secret handshakes to share with you.

But...I will try your suggestion and see where it leads I know that charged dust can give of Static as well. In fact it can ruin your system so I am planning to do this regularly as well as clean up regularly too. especially around my equipment.

Dust can seriously age your equipment and render it useless.

To the other guys Maybe not Dusty Springfield but who else has that name?
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 07:56:22 (permalink)
    To the other guys Maybe not Dusty Springfield but who else has that name?

Ever heard of ZZ Top?

Regards,
    Papa
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 09:53:01 (permalink)
    papa.. yep .. and are they still in search of a beard trimmer? hehe

I cleaned the fans of my very old pc (that I use for surfing last week) but years ago I cleaned a machine out for a customer , who was a pipe smoker. The thing had so much dust in that I was surprised it hadn't caused a fire and the smell of it was, well horrid.

to give you an idea HOW bad it was I attached a bin bag to the open side of the machine, tipped it over and the majority of the dust balls fell out.. then after that had to take all the cards out and fans and mobo, using a small paintbrush on the cards to make them clean. you have to be careful not to cause damage to capacitors etc on the mobo. so the paint brush is ideal for that job.

of course I was grounded and was using an anti static mat etc when I was doing that. If your a smoker like me, it's worse as the stuff sticks to the cards. If your a pipe smoker it's even worse (thankfully popeye never brought his machine to be fixed..haha)

post edited by Fog - 2008/11/23 09:55:26
    dappa1
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 10:13:48 (permalink)
    hahha

I just bought a suregrip 12mm paint brush today just to do that!

How much dmage can that stuf actually do?
    Zonno
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 999
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 10:18:55 (permalink)
    You would have been even in more trouble if you had met Muddy Waters.
    Inside your computer, that is.

Cakewalk, Reason 10, KOMPLETE 11, BIAB 2018, Roland OctaCapture, Finale 26, PCR-300, HP ZBook, Guitars 
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 10:55:33 (permalink)
    I don't think dust inside a computer would cause noise from your soundcard and cleaning the inside of a computer is somewhat risky. You could inadvertently push some dust where it doesn't belong or fry your computer with static electricity. However, cleaning the cooling fans and the vents on the case is not a bad idea especially if you have pets, especially cats. Make sure your computer is turned off AND unplugged from the wall. Make sure you ground yourself and any vacuum cleaner attachments you are using. Don't do this on a cold, dry day where there is a lot of static in the air.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2008/11/23 10:56:28

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    dappa1
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 11:11:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advice Dave its always welcomed from you. Yes I only cleaned the fans where i saw a build up of dust. the fan was however making alot of noise but now that I have cleaned it it is whispering again. My computer is an ACER computer. The only reason i mentioned about the noise from the sound card was casically to illiminate what the reason could be. Knowing that it may not be that. I have not done any recording since but I will. In my process of illimination. making sure that there is no dust in the power supply the fan cooler was important to me. I have a paint brush that i have used but before i used it I blew out what i could. However I would not recommend that any and anybody does this. Again Dust may not be the cause. But the Rumble that my computer was making sounded as if it was on its last legs. Seeing that my computer is only/nearly a year old I was quite suspicious as to the cause of it.

As Rothchild says it is probably coming from the sound card and therefore I need to trace my footsteps as to how i went about reconnecting my sound card in my computer. In anycase I have done all the checking how ever I will keep you posted.

I hate the fact that I am hearing some hum/hiss in the signal while recording. You know you reach a certain stage only to get set backs which you wish weren't there!

daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 11:33:57 (permalink)
    I hate the fact that I am hearing some hum/hiss in the signal while recording. You know you reach a certain stage only to get set backs which you wish weren't there!

That could be coming from another card or the motherboard in your computer. You might try relocating the Emu card to a different slot and see if that helps. This is where external sound cards have an advantage over cards in the box, however, I have a Delta44 which has a card in the box and a breakout box and I don't notice any low level noise from the computer.
    post edited by daveny5 - 2008/11/23 11:35:27

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    dappa1
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 12:15:28 (permalink)
    only one card in the comp. and there is only to pci slots the rest is pcie.
    Fog
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 12:20:51 (permalink)
    Dappa, how much damage? hhmm well the ventilation in the machine. so it's generating a lot of heat also.. the fans stop working and components heat up.. wether it be the cpu , or say a chipset chip. Also with the PSU that has vents / grills.. so again it doesn't help the machine

I really wish I had taken a picture of the machine that I'd fixed. Someone I worked with said in his 20 years of fixing machine said that was easily in the top 3 of the worst cared for ones... Although this will give you a chuckle, 1 customer we had in said his mouse wasn't working. Opened it and showed him said, ok.. clean the rollers OR we can charge 1 hour labour ($50) for doing that.

other things with electronics and PCB's are dry joints
    http://www.pcuser.com.au/pcuser/hs2.nsf/lookup+1/2BA1DD3A7AF26E20CA256F2500358412

or with things like amps , the pots being dirty or capacitors failing.. you get the 50hz hum as it's commonly known, or that can be from things failing/breaking so the shielding doesn't stop hum. I'm more of a software person, and fixing issues with that, but I have a friend who I've known 21 years and he's the mutts nuts at electronic related problems. So I pester him if it's something tricky that I can't figure out.

dappa1
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 13:02:17 (permalink)
    I switched from asio to wdm problem solved. but however I got a drop out. Which I dont get with asio. so i am going to shut down and restart my comp in asio mode and see if it has totally disappeared.

Fog it shows that regular maintenance is the Key! Thanks for the dry Joints info!
    Fog
    RE: I met Dusty springfield 2008/11/23 13:11:07 (permalink)
    with the drop out thing, it's the balance of how many MS vs buffers with the soundcard also... I'm not running at the very lowest latency (I think it's currently) 23 BUT I don't have issue with drop outs and it's still playable and not laggy and my CPU thanks me for upping it.hehe
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1