OT: Willing your software?

Author
bapu
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 86000
2008/11/25 12:43:15 (permalink)

OT: Willing your software?

So the CW EULA says I cannot transfer my software license.

Can I will it to someone upon my demise?

Food for thought.

As of today I have several thousands spent in software. My son, who is a recording musician, does not have everything I have. I'm thinking I need to write all my software vendors and declare that upon my demise I will all my software (and their subsequent liscenses) to him.

Would that hold water?

EDIT: BTW, I'm healthy right now.
post edited by bapu - 2008/11/25 12:44:16

4 Replies Related Threads

OldGeezer
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: OT: Willing your software? 2008/11/27 18:32:01 (permalink)
    Personally, I don't think license agreements, in many cases, are worth the plastic they're burned onto. Explanation: Most software vendors bury the license agreement in the software itself (burned onto the CD or DVD), so that you can't read it until you've started the installation process...specifically, you can't read it and decide wether or not you agree with it until you've opened the sealed package in which the software was sold, negating any chance you have of returning it should you disagree with the license agreement. It's a Catch-22 situation where the license agreement "Yes" or "No" options is pointless since you're stuck with the software either way. Because of this, I would choose to ignore any terms of the license agreement (within reason...I wouldn't see it as an excuse to hand out copies to everyone or anything like that), and I imagine it's only a matter of time before a law is passed that renders all EULAs null and void so long as they're hidden inside of sealed packages that are non-returnable once opened.

Just my two cents.
    macflooze
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 544
    RE: OT: Willing your software? 2008/11/27 23:28:15 (permalink)
    If you're willing it, you're dead, right?
    You're the one who agreed to the license terms, right?
    If you're dead, I can't see how the agreement between you and Cake could be enforced.
    The new owner agreeing to EULA terms on subsequently installing doesn't have to agree not to receive the software, only not to give it to a third party.
    He isn't breaking the agreement, you are.
    But you're dead, right?
    Just checking.
    post edited by macflooze - 2008/11/27 23:29:57

Pmac
    ToneZone

Information spreads at the speed of light, while ignorance is instantaneous at all points in the known universe - Dmitry Orlov
    zungle
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2745
    RE: OT: Willing your software? 2008/11/28 02:22:07 (permalink)
    Can I will it to someone upon my demise?

Possibly................

I have been working out my own demise..................my focus has been on "Trust's"

If you had an established trust, and your trust purchased Sonar........upon your death....or when ever you deemed..........the newly named executor of your trust would maintain owner of Sonar...............nothing Twelve Tone could do about it.

You could also have a similar situation if you where an officer of a corporation..............if the corporation purchased Sonar the remaining officers or incoming officers would maintain ownership of Sonar.

Now.................we likely need to read the fine print within the EULA and see the terms of corporate or trust ownership or licensing

Good Luck.......
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: OT: Willing your software? 2008/11/28 06:00:19 (permalink)
    an interesting question.

but way I look at it, heck it's a new customer for them even if they don't like it they should look at it that way and it was paid for already.

I can will my other DAW stuff and music stuff / sample cd's (as in that respect cake is the ONLY things I don't use that has a license transfer option) to my son or daughter (Not got one so who knows)

so it looks rather silly that cake stuff is the only product that I can't in that respect.

I can't see somehow Greg, Noel , Brandon etc turning up at my kid's DAW demanding they pay up again to enforce it (it's more likely Robin would as he's in the UK the most I guess? hehe)

there is what's written in the agreement and what's real life.

Besides, the money they might not have got in the past that could have been spent on kids, was spent on their software.. so they can't have their "cake" and eat it.haha

it's like being asked to pay twice in that respect and NO I don't mean you can give it out to every Tom, Dick and Harriet.

can you imagine Steve Jobs turning up saying only YOU can listen to tunes bought on i-tunes and not your family? haha

We already get hit in the UK with inheritance tax BIG time in the UK, so that's bad enough.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/11/28 06:03:54
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1