Tricking the Korg Nano Kontrol

Author
Nick P
Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3112
2008/11/26 02:44:11 (permalink)

Tricking the Korg Nano Kontrol

I'm constantly looking for ways to duplicate the "16 Velocities" function found on the Akai MPC series. What this is basically is that it assigns the same MIDI note number across the pad bank (16 pads), and then assigns a different velocity to each pad. That way you can do expressive percussion parts such as hi-hat without having to overdub multiple passes, or do a bunch of editing after the fact.

Since Project5's mouse paint-in feature only paints in at velocity 64, you're basically forced to use a controller of some sort. Of course you could use the Akai pad controller, which has the multiple fixed velocities feature. But here's another option:

The new Korg nanoKontrol offers 2 buttons across 9 banks. Each button can actually send a MIDI note number at a fixed velocity. So you could assign the same note a different fixed velocity across all 18 buttons. Would this not serve the same purpose I'm talking about?

The funny thing is that this feature is not available on the nanoPad, where it would be even more useful. You can tell the pads to send out MIDI notes, but you can't set each one's velocity.

Anyway, for $60 it seems like a pretty good deal.

Cakewalk Forums - A Great Learning Resource For All Things Cakewalk!

4 Replies Related Threads

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Tricking the Korg Nano Kontrol 2008/11/26 05:10:48 (permalink)
    Actually I think this might be easier than you think.

If you use the note filter narrowed down to one note, then use the velocity midi FX on that channel to force a particular velocity. Create this for a different layer for each note.

Doing this you will want to turn off the midi override, but you can then use the midi filter to react to specific channels for your tracks.
    Nick P
    RE: Tricking the Korg Nano Kontrol 2008/11/26 05:51:39 (permalink)
    I was wondering if there was a MIDI effect which could be used in front of note input. Can this be done when one wants to input notes with the mouse?

syrath
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4075
    RE: Tricking the Korg Nano Kontrol 2008/11/26 06:01:37 (permalink)
    Using the mouse its even easier. You dont need to worry about the note filters, you just create a layer on a track, and insert the velocity midi FX (which btw is also available in Sonar). On the velocity midi FX you can choose set to X , or you can choose to have a limited range (to allow for minor variation if you want there is even a randomise function that you can use)
    Nick P
    RE: Tricking the Korg Nano Kontrol 2008/11/26 17:01:05 (permalink)
    Next time I get a chance I will experiment with using this effect. Thanks, Stu!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1