Advice on getting started

Author
Legacyman
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2008/11/29 17:51:29 (permalink)

Advice on getting started

I'd like to start doing home recording. I write, play guitar and do vocals. My computer is new with a 1.6 processor and 1 G memory. I've been looking into Cakewalk Sonar 7 and it seems like a good place to start, but I dont have any experience to really know. Tascam offers a few interfaces that have midi at reasonable prices, but I'd appreciate some insights and or suggestions before ordering.

I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

Dan

7 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Advice on getting started 2008/11/29 19:19:08 (permalink)
    Legacyman... welcome.

S7 is a good platform to use....however....

I opted to start with MC4. It is a decent platform...fairly simple, not alot of extra stuff to distract you, it supports plenty of audio & midi tracks and plugins....and it only costs $35 for the downloaded version. There is good support in the MC forum. I'd also recommendan external interface ( soundcard) so that your recording experience is a smooth one.

.... and you can always upgrade later....to S7.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Legacyman
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Advice on getting started 2008/11/30 01:00:12 (permalink)
    Greg, thanks for the tip. Im going to go to the website and look into MC4. When you recommend an external interface (soundcard) to have a good recording experience is there one in particular you'd suggest?

Tjanks, Dan

BTW I listened to several of your songs and you sound good!
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Advice on getting started 2008/11/30 20:56:39 (permalink)
    Motu, Echo, Ediriol and RMe are all great cards. I would update your pc also to atleast 2 gigs of rams and atleast a dual core. I would get the sonar program and not even botrher with MC4. There are many many many features youll be missong out on if you get MC4.
    If your going to learn somethnig, learn sonar. If you start with MC4 ,youll need to learn 2 different programs, if you go to sonar, and you will go to sonar, cause MC4 isnt really anythnig anyways. Buy Scotts power book and get sonar producer 8.
    Cj
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2008/11/30 20:58:51

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Advice on getting started 2008/12/01 09:07:45 (permalink)
    Dan it is not cheap. I'm sure that cost means something different to many- each depending on what they want to do and far they plan on taking it.

You may want to get a good idea of the complete "picture" before purchasing anything.
    I know for me it was a snowball. One can get in deep quick and easy with this. Again that depends on how high of quality equipment and time/effort you plan on spending.

First thing ya know..ya need this, that and the other thing. So try and get that figuered out first thing.

Just my 2
    Michael
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Advice on getting started 2008/12/03 14:38:30 (permalink)
    a big +1 to what Michael said previously.

the 2 things regardless of what interface etc. you choose I'd say

research , where will you be (or like to be in say 12 months) if you buy things now that aren't up to the job you might end up spending when a bit of research would have help keep the cobwebs on your wallet.

your reasons for doing it, if it's a hobby then obviously it's different from producing that #1 seller.

regardless of whatever you buy you will have to devote a bit of time to get the most out of it. (scott's sonar power book helped as well as the manual)

As for tascam, well of late they haven't done their giga customers a big favour. So I would personally avoid them, as for me it's a bad omen.

a keyboard is really a must also, yep I know your a guitar player, but so many instruments you just trigger from keys (drums / strings / synths / the list is endless). remember it just has to be a controller of some description and not have any sounds. The computer has virtual instruments etc that you can trigger.

this time of year ALL the companies are trying to woo you for your custom and you can get some great deals on things.

if you are lucky enough to live near pro audio shops, visit a few. However remember some sales people get a greater commission on certain products than others , so get a few options / opinions (not just the one that will help the sales person get the greatest money)

when you say midi, it's really an audio interface you want? the majority do have built in midi in / out, but the common thing now is that midi things like keyboards normally work via usb. That all depends on your budget.

you can even trial sonar 7, although it won't have everything the full one has

http://www.cakewalk.com/Support/kb/kb20061101.asp

also with a pc for music , or mac.. the better the pc the more you can chuck at it, much as you won't see my old car in a nascar or formula 1 race..hehe

there are some good deals on 7 at the moment, even that has options.. do you want studio or producer.. producer comes with a LOT more for the price..

hopefully that's been objective enough. I've not shown favouritism for any brand in the post on purpose.
    post edited by Fog - 2008/12/03 14:40:04
    alain999
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Advice on getting started 2008/12/03 22:29:30 (permalink)
    Legacyman,

I went up that road about 15 years ago and believe me you can get lost both technically and financially. You need to do your homework first:

- Know exactly what you want to achieve.
    - Learn about recording.
    - Figure out your budget and stick to it.
    - Buy only what you need.

I'm sorry to be so basic but I've 'been there' and spent thousands of dollars on stuff I don't use anymore because they either don't suit my purposes or are incompatible with my general setup. I guess I learned the hard way, being so credulous towards 'expert salesmans' and colorful ads in magazines.

Cakewalk is definitely a very good program (I've been using/upgrading it since 1991) but you might look for alternatives (at least when you first start). I know some people will disagree but start with reading basic recording books. The book 'Home recording for musicians for dummies' is IMO a very good starting point and will let you decide what setup is best for you. There are other books just as good as this one but in any case, if I had read one of those first, I would have saved a lot of money.

Recording is an art just as playing an instrument is. So you're half way there...

Alain
    Gareth
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 645
    RE: Advice on getting started 2008/12/04 04:29:02 (permalink)
    Here's another book that helped me a lot, straightforward and easy to understand.
    Guerrilla Home Recording by Karl Coryat (Backbeat Books)
    Gareth

Check out: htpp://www.cognac-countryhouse.com

Acer(Vista), Sempron 3600 2Ghz, 3go RAM, 250Go HD, Tascam122L. Fender 'Rhinestone' Strat, Cort electro acoustic, Seagull 12string, Eko semi acoustic, Peavey bass , Behringer UMX controller
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1