Vista Settings Transfer Wizard: Does it work?

Author
Treefight
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 868
2008/12/04 15:40:36 (permalink)

Vista Settings Transfer Wizard: Does it work?

Hey folks:

I have an XP machine running Sonar 8.02 and XP has become corrupted to the point where I have no option but to install another OS. So I installed Vista 32 Business on a C drive partition and now have a dual-boot machine (audio files on a separate physical drive).

I was about to go through the arduous process of installing Sonar and all of the rest of the third-party stuff and authorizing, etc., at this point I'm talking 8-10 hours of work, including hardware drivers. That sucks.

Then I noticed Vista's Settings Transfer Wizard and it says it can transfer all files and settings from one's old machine (including an XP machine) to Vista.

Of course, I have to install the actual software on the Vista drive first, Sonar, Amplitube, etc., but if I then used the wizard to transfer settings, would it transfer the authorizations, preses, or anything else? Waaay too good to be true, so I assume it won't, especially the authos, which will of course see the Vista drive as different than what they were authorized for. But is it good for anything?

Much appreciated!

Cheers.

Stuff.

4 Replies Related Threads

John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Vista Settings Transfer Wizard: Does it work? 2008/12/04 15:45:13 (permalink)
    I don't know didn't use it with my setup. But what have you got to loose? At the worst you will wind up having to do this manually.

Best
    John
    Treefight
    RE: Vista Settings Transfer Wizard: Does it work? 2008/12/04 18:41:38 (permalink)
    Good point, I guess, I always worry about stray pieces of registry or OS code (or whatever, I'm not a computer person) being brought over and wreaking havoc down the road...

Seems odd to me that no one has tried it!

Thanks John.

Stuff.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Vista Settings Transfer Wizard: Does it work? 2008/12/04 19:41:53 (permalink)
    One reason is we like to have a clean install. I do anyway. What you could do is backup the things that you need but not the registry. Email and things. Although its a pain its worth it in the end to do a fully clean install.

Best
    John
    Treefight
    RE: Vista Settings Transfer Wizard: Does it work? 2008/12/04 22:17:21 (permalink)
    Yeah, that's what I'm going to do, clean install. Nice feeling - well, once it's done. Luckily it's my #2 machine, so I can take my time installing everything, and I've decided to put it online (with Norton) just for the install process, so for ONCE I'm actually able to authorize w/out using another machine that's online!

Ahhhh... Love that new install smell...

Stuff.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1