sony soundforge

Author
shawn912
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 136
2008/12/04 19:18:44 (permalink)

sony soundforge

Does anyone use SoundForge? Is it worth it, or are there better options for mastering?

14 Replies Related Threads

Monkey Mouse
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/04 20:24:29 (permalink)
    I use SoundForge 8 for recording (stereo only), processing, and for file conversion. Works great for me...

Live 6, Project 5, Kinetic, Oddity, Minimoog V, Atmosphere, Battery 3, Delta 1010

It's my duty to please that booty!
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/05 04:47:50 (permalink)
    Very, very many Sonarites use it.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    tvolhein
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 413
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/05 08:23:14 (permalink)
    I have 9.0e, and have found some problems (listed below), that haven't been resolved yet. Sony support has responded, but I haven't tested their suggestions.

Also, I don't find the software as intuitive as I would like. Except for the current problem, it appears to work as advertised. And my version came with some Izotope mastering plugs and CD Architect for free. That is nice.

Tom

==current problems
    First:
    When I do a save as and SF asks for a new file name in the Save As dialog, I enter the file name that I want (plus - File Type Scott Studios Wave .wav, Default Template, Save metadata with file). I leave all the fields in Scott Studios Information dialog blank and finish the Save As.

Instead of using the file name I entered, SF names the file SP0000.WAV with the corresponding sfk file. I have tried many different approaches and I can't get Save As to work.

Second:
    Now the same thing is happening on a simple Save execution. I am currently spending more time renaming files than I am mastering.

Tom Volhein
    tvolhein@gmail.com
    http://www.tomvolhein.com
    H55 motherboard, Intel i7 870, SATA-II, TI Firewire, USB-3, 4 GB DDR3, 3-1TB HDs (130MB/Sec), Dual head video (1GB), 22x DVD/RW w/lightscribe, Windows 7 x64, Sonar Platinum, latest build x64, Fireface 800

cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/05 10:07:05 (permalink)
    I've been using SoundForge 9 for over a year now. I use it for pre-mastering, wav editing, re-assigning tempos for wav's, etc. It's fantastic. Comes with the CD Architect software and the Izotope mastering bundle.

I use SF9 dozens of times per week and I've never experienced any of the problems that tvolhein is experiencing, so that may be a system-specific issue. It works flawlessly for me.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/05 22:58:36 (permalink)
    A month or three ago there was a thread on SoundForge vs Adobe Audition that would probably be helpful to look at. It was in the Software Forum here. They are both very good.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    yevster
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 761
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/06 00:55:59 (permalink)
    Since you're already a Sonar user, you don't really need the multitrack editing in Audition. I've tried both Audition 3 and SF 9, and SF9 seems far more simple and intuitive. I've never had any stability issues with it - especially compared to Sonar. I'm not a big fan of the included OZone mastering bundle - usually I just use LP-64 multiband and EQ in SF. WaveHammer, on the other hand, I find very useful for perfecting the dynamics in pop-type mixes.
    tvolhein
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 413
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/06 10:03:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tvolhein

I have 9.0e, and have found some problems (listed below), that haven't been resolved yet. Sony support has responded, but I haven't tested their suggestions.

Also, I don't find the software as intuitive as I would like. Except for the current problem, it appears to work as advertised. And my version came with some Izotope mastering plugs and CD Architect for free. That is nice.

Tom

==current problems
    First:
    When I do a save as and SF asks for a new file name in the Save As dialog, I enter the file name that I want (plus - File Type Scott Studios Wave .wav, Default Template, Save metadata with file). I leave all the fields in Scott Studios Information dialog blank and finish the Save As.

Instead of using the file name I entered, SF names the file SP0000.WAV with the corresponding sfk file. I have tried many different approaches and I can't get Save As to work.

Second:
    Now the same thing is happening on a simple Save execution. I am currently spending more time renaming files than I am mastering.

Yesterday, Sony support responded with the answers to the SF problems, and everything is working fine.
    t

Tom Volhein
    tvolhein@gmail.com
    http://www.tomvolhein.com
    H55 motherboard, Intel i7 870, SATA-II, TI Firewire, USB-3, 4 GB DDR3, 3-1TB HDs (130MB/Sec), Dual head video (1GB), 22x DVD/RW w/lightscribe, Windows 7 x64, Sonar Platinum, latest build x64, Fireface 800

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/06 19:51:16 (permalink)
    Adobe Audition is a viable alternative to Sound Forge. Similar price, similar features but you're buying from a company whose mission statement does not include anything about global domination and has never installed a virus on anyone's computer.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/17 22:56:39 (permalink)
    Soundforge is useless for Mastering. In that price range, look at Wavelab Essentials. SF doesn't even come close as far as possibilities/functions with or without CD Architect.

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/18 01:06:08 (permalink)
    Another happy SF user, here. It is great for doing many of the things SONAR doesn't do well. Again, there is a lit version (studio, I think the name is) of their products, and other than effects the biggest missing feature is working at 16 bits (if I remember right).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/18 09:52:45 (permalink)
    For many years I owned, used, updated, etc Sound Forge, Wavelab, Audition and Samplewrench.

Each one has it's strengths and weaknesses.

Sound Forge, for me, is the easiest of the bunch. Everything is where I'd expect it to be. It's fast, it integrates well with Sonar, and for detailed audio editing it was my first choice.

Wavelab has their effects rack and the Audio Montage. These things are fantastic for audio editing, but at this point I can do all of that in Sonar (though I can still do somethings more quickly in Wavelab<G>) I have to admit that the integration of CD burning in Wavelab is slick, I also like their audio file database and a couple of their plugins... but I won't be upgrading to V6.

Audition (at least back when it was CoolEdit Pro) is a really fast, easy to use multi-track recorder. I found some of their conventions odd, but it worked. These days Sonar works as well, if not better. This one is finished for me, I haven't even installed it this time around.

Samplewrench remains the fastest editor for hardware samplers, and I do keep it installed, but I don't do a lot of editing for my old hardware samplers these days, so it does not see a lot of use.

About the time that Sound Forge 9, Wavelab 6, and Audition 3 surfaced I decided I needed to thin the heard. I ended up going with Sound Forge for a couple of reasons:
    1) integration with Sonar
    2) ease of use (admittedly I've been using SF since V3, so some of the ease of use is really familiarity)
    3) integration with CD Architect

I did have issues with Sony's recent bundling and upgrade policies, but a phone call to Sony resulted in what I considered a fair deal.

Bill

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/22 02:37:40 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper

Adobe Audition is a viable alternative to Sound Forge. Similar price, similar features but you're buying from a company whose mission statement does not include anything about global domination and has never installed a virus on anyone's computer.

Hehehe that's comforting to know

IMHO! From what I've seen of the demo I'm impressed with Audition! I've always liked Adobe products, very nice GUI and workflow.

harmony gardens
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3490
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/22 07:48:41 (permalink)
    I got Sound Forge about the same time I moved to Sonar, and they have been side by side tools for me. Sound Forge was a Sonic Foundry Product absorbed by the big fish, so my original purchase wasn't a contribution to any giant corporate thing.

Over time, Sonar has added a lot of extra editing tools, which has made a dedicated editor less nessessary, but I still use it for a lot of tasks.

I like the way it integrates with Sonar and CD Architect.

I haven't really tried other editors, but Sound Forge is something I use regularily and I'm glad I have it.

Limelight
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: sony soundforge 2008/12/24 21:55:06 (permalink)
    I love Sound Forge and O3

www.limelight.moonfruit.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1