VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews?

Author
guylarge
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2008/12/07 19:33:27 (permalink)

VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews?

Hi, do any of you use the Special Edition or any other Vienna Synphonic Libraries VSTs?
I'm tempted by affordable price of 200GBP here -

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75063

as this is supposedly much better than the other libraries in this price range.
My questions are:

1. What's the learning curve for these? and-
2. How easy is it to group instruments, or are there 'multi' presets?

Thanks!

12 Replies Related Threads

pscherer
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/07 20:55:52 (permalink)
    I use VSL mostly for strings. Steep learning curve - you should watch the DVD tutorial. Still worth it, the sounds are great and with key switching you can get some very realistic articulations. I also have Garritan Personal Orchestra - very nice for less money, but if you're doing serious scoring go for VSL. Good luck!
    Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/07 21:09:32 (permalink)
    For practically the same money you can buy Kontakt 3 which has over 33gb library, which includes a lot of the VSL library. Take a look at the Kontakt library: http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=kontakt3library&L=1
    There's a PDF file you can download of the complete library, so you can compare it with VSL SE.
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/07 21:19:18 (permalink)
    Very easy to use. Quick learning curve. You can not group instruments. Every instrument has to have it's own instance. That is its only downside. But remember 1st Violins are played as 1. Trumpets are 1 etc....solo instruments will all need their own. If you have any inkling on how to orchestrate the correct way you will love this library. Look at getting Kontact 3 either as an alternative or in combo with VSL SE. Kontact 3 you will be able to load 16 instruments at once, But you will want the melodies/solo instruments to come from VSL SE. VSL's playability is fantastic. Learning how to use keyswitching for different articulations will really help and is not hard to learn. Kontact 3 has VSL samples in them that will crecendo and brighten using the mod wheel. These sound fantastic and make a huge difference.

If you are serious about the Orchestra then jump on it. If you want to program all your strings as one (Not orchestrating differently for Violin2, Viola, Celli, Dbass etc.) then you will be wasting your money. Then I would guess a program like Symphonia would be better, but eventually your orchestrations and orch effects will sound just like everyone else who has that library.

I hope that helped.
    koolkeys
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/08 04:15:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Oaf_Topik

For practically the same money you can buy Kontakt 3 which has over 33gb library, which includes a lot of the VSL library. Take a look at the Kontakt library: http://www.nativeinstruments.de/index.php?id=kontakt3library&L=1
    There's a PDF file you can download of the complete library, so you can compare it with VSL SE.

Yes, but the Kontakt Vienna library is only a taste of things. The Special Edition libraries are much larger, although also more expensive. Although I do agree that the Kontakt edition of it is great and I personally use it, it's not really the same thing.

I do think that anyone who is going to be using a lot of samples should have Kontakt. It's my main instrument plugin personally. But I rarely use the factory library, despite it's quality, outside of the orchestral stuff.

Brent
    Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/08 11:07:00 (permalink)
    Yes, but the Kontakt Vienna library is only a taste of things. The Special Edition libraries are much larger, although also more expensive. Although I do agree that the Kontakt edition of it is great and I personally use it, it's not really the same thing.

I do think that anyone who is going to be using a lot of samples should have Kontakt. It's my main instrument plugin personally. But I rarely use the factory library, despite it's quality, outside of the orchestral stuff.

Brent

I totally agree. I was just suggesting he compare the two, and maybe there's enough stuff in the Kontakt library to get him started.
    Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/08 14:00:19 (permalink)
    Hi, do any of you use the Special Edition or any other Vienna Synphonic Libraries VSTs?
    I'm tempted by affordable price of 200GBP here -

I was recently asked to join in a blind A/B/C demo to determine which of three identical tracks was real orchestra, which was VSL and Which was EAST WEST Platinum.

We all got it wrong the Best Sounding was EAST WEST Platinum with *Hollywood* type sounds Second came the Live Strings and third VSL. All of them were the top of the Range in their sets. The VSL apparently costs 14000 Euros and the EAST WEST was a bit cheaper. The Client finally went with the EAST WEST and is very Satisfied.

I must admit I was pretty impressed with the Sounds and ended up Getting the EAST WEST GOLD Symphonic which to be honest blew the Garritan Away but then Garritan is 2Gb and GOLD is 16Gb, maybe you can't compare.

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/08 16:13:40 (permalink)
    East West Gold sits on my hard drive hardly used. I've found the strings almost worthless as they don't have a legato mode and sound synthy to me. I use the Garritan libray quite a bit more.

VSL Special Edition is a nice library although the dongle causes me problems from time to time. The best thing in the VSL is the performance legato patches. I mix the VSL strings with the Kirk Hunter strings. With Vienna Ensemble 2, which is a free download, you can load up 16 instruments in one instance. It's also x64 compatible.

Jim
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/08 23:45:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: haydn12

East West Gold sits on my hard drive hardly used. I've found the strings almost worthless as they don't have a legato mode and sound synthy to me. I use the Garritan libray quite a bit more.

VSL Special Edition is a nice library although the dongle causes me problems from time to time. The best thing in the VSL is the performance legato patches. I mix the VSL strings with the Kirk Hunter strings. With Vienna Ensemble 2, which is a free download, you can load up 16 instruments in one instance. It's also x64 compatible.

Jim

I'm with you and agree about the legato thing. Interesting mixing The Hunter strings and VSL.

Can Vienna Ensemble 2 load VSL SE instruments??
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/09 05:38:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Desperate Dan
    We all got it wrong the Best Sounding was EAST WEST Platinum with *Hollywood* type sounds Second came the Live Strings and third VSL. All of them were the top of the Range in their sets. The VSL apparently costs 14000 Euros and the EAST WEST was a bit cheaper. The Client finally went with the EAST WEST and is very Satisfied.

I must admit I was pretty impressed with the Sounds and ended up Getting the EAST WEST GOLD Symphonic which to be honest blew the Garritan Away but then Garritan is 2Gb and GOLD is 16Gb, maybe you can't compare.

So the live strings came in second, LOL. Just goes to show how the "Hollywood sound" has come to be so pervasive that's what a lot of us expect our strings to sound like nowadays.

Dan, you mention the 2GB Garritan -- is this GPO you're talking about?

JD

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    guylarge
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/09 18:26:29 (permalink)
    haydn12
    haydn12
    , what is the advantage of the Kirk Hunter strings as opposed to just using VSL? thanks!
    guylarge
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/09 18:41:08 (permalink)
    And to all users commenting, thankyou firstly! - You seem to get a lot of VSL instruments with Kontakt - the price of Kontakt3 and VSL Special Edition are the same, which makes the K3 seem more appealing as it has all those other instruments . . .

Do you think there are -enough- of the VSL instruments in K3 to do rich scoring with?
    haydn12
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: VSL Special Edition vst libraries - USER reviews? 2008/12/10 17:16:49 (permalink)
    VSL only has one violin section. I use Kirk's strings for either the 1st or 2nd violin section depending on the piece. I also use Kirk's strings down mixed in the cellos and basses depending on the piece as VSL doesn't always have the sound I'm looking for. Kirk's strings have quite a bit more vibrato which works better in many situations.

You may get quite a few of the VSL instruments in K3 but they don't have as many velocity levels. Usually K3 instruments only have 2 versus the 3 or 4 in SE. Also K3 doesn't have the performance legato patches which are essential for great sounding legato lines.

Jim
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1