Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement

Author
jwintermute
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 33
2008/12/10 17:26:47 (permalink)

Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement

Hi all,

I got WaveLab Lite bundled with Cubasis 5 many years ago, and found it really useful. Unfortunately, after up(down)grading to Vista (warning bells... ), it doesn't work too well. So now I'm looking for something that does..

WaveLab Essential costs £86.13 (to be precise hehe), which is quite steep. I've looked around but there's one feature of WaveLab that I *really* liked, and which I haven't found. Basically, I used WaveLab to do old-skool editing, like you would do with cutting the tape with a reel-to-reel tape deck (remember them?). Let's say you have a mix, but it's slightly too long and you want to chop a section out. WaveLab has an excellent feature where the cursor does "play from here". So you can focus in on where you're going to make the edit, click on the waveform and focus just where (for example) the bass drum sounds. You can then select from that point - so what comes before that section is your first edit, and then you play with the rest to find your second edit point, focus in and select whta's after the cursor, and then join the two together (I hope I'm making myself clear ).

Does anyone know of a cheaper solution that will provide this one feature? I've got Sonar PE 7 and I can't find anything like it in there.

Cheers, John

8 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/10 22:12:01 (permalink)
    Try WAVEPAD it's free. http://nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html

I use it to slice & dice and more..... but wait!.... it's free.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    JonD
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3617
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/10 22:40:48 (permalink)
    Wavosaur and audacity are the two most popular free wav editors. Wavosaur is the new kid on the block, but seems to have passed Audacity in its feature-set. It also has VST support. (Not sure if it can do what OP described in the same way, but worth checking out).

JD

SonarPlat/CWbBL, Win 10 Pro, i7 2600K, Asus P8Z68 Deluxe, 16GB DDR3, Radeon HD5450, TC Electronic Impact Twin, Kawai MP11 Piano, Event ALP Monitors, Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Too Many Plugins, My lucky hat.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/11 12:42:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JonD
    Wavosaur and audacity are the two most popular free wav editors.

+1 , wavosaur excels if your using it for loops though. errm it's good in the sense of it forces the commercial makers to up their standards and not rest on their rep

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/11 14:49:42 (permalink)
    Sony has the cheap versions of their products with some limitations. I had their Sound Forge lite before I got the real version. They run about $50 - check out the Sony site for info.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/12 02:36:35 (permalink)
    I found myself in a similar situation and tried the budget version of Sound Forge. But forget it, there's nothing like Wavelab for editing and mastering. So I got Wavelab Essential which is enogh for me since I don't do surround and four slots is enough for me.

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    jwintermute
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/12 19:16:02 (permalink)
    Cheers all for the suggestions. I will try the various suggestions, although I might just save up the money for WaveLab Essential.
    silvercn
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1238
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/15 17:40:12 (permalink)
    Does Wave Pad work the same way in terms of accessing it right from the track view of Sonar (7xl) As now, with Wave Lab lite it appears on my "Tools" menu so if I highlight a clip, and hit Wave Pad it goes right there and inserts / the clip ready for editing, then replaces / re-savesthe fixed clip back into my DAW track.
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 733
    RE: Suggestions for a good WaveLab Lite replacement 2008/12/17 22:50:43 (permalink)

Save up and go for Wavelab Essentials. As you know, you won't be disappointed!

''I work to live, but live to make music'' -Mahler
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1