mic placement for recording metal drum kit.

Author
dgabriel
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2008/12/11 21:22:05 (permalink)

mic placement for recording metal drum kit.

I will be doing a recording of live drums in a decent room. Last time i recorded drums, they did not come out so great. I ended up having to do a lot of after production because they sounded too "live".

any great tips in micing a single kick drum kit? I have the use of 6 to 7 inputs for recording. i dont want to get too complicated.

whats best for a good punchy kick? or what are the results in putting two mics on a snare?

should i dedicate a mic for the high hat? or let the over head mics catch the high hat? how many overhead mics??

how should i mic the toms to get them all in the mix? or should i let some overheads catch the higher toms?

I WANT to hear about how to get a studio like quality sounding mix.

I do understand equipment plays a major role.. i just want to maximize with what i have..

I just want to hear how some of you guys do the mic ing?

thanks Gabe.

6 Replies Related Threads

Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: mic placement for recording metal drum kit. 2008/12/11 22:44:11 (permalink)
    There are all sorts of ways to do it, but since you need articulation with most metal drumming...you will probably need lots of mics to get the sound. With a big kit, you will probably get lots of reflections that are hard to control in the mix with tons of bleed also.

Basically, if you have time to experiment, I personally would try to isolate and deaden everything you can. Forget trying to pick up room reverb, it will be much easier to contol with plugs or whatever in the mix. Might look a little funky having shields and blankets all over everything, but might be worth it in the long run.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: mic placement for recording metal drum kit. 2008/12/11 23:03:04 (permalink)
    Acoustic Drums for Metal: A Guide

Drum Samples, Replacement, Triggers FAQ

Lots of great info in those 2 links for metal drums.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    johnreelsound
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: mic placement for recording metal drum kit. 2008/12/12 06:45:34 (permalink)
    There is a load of info on drum recording and some downloadable sessions http://www.recording-microphones.co.uk/recording-Polaris.shtml

John
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: mic placement for recording metal drum kit. 2008/12/12 13:11:15 (permalink)
    Most metal records I've heard have the drum sounds tweaked so they don't swamp the low end and can cut through the rumble of all the guitars that are in that space. So the kick drum may sound more like a clicking in the final mix. Toms and snare are gated short so mud does not build up at high tempo and gated reverb is added to fatten up just the parts that need it. Again the very low end is almost all gone so bass and guitar and have that frequency spectrum in the mix.

It's kind of interesting... if you could be there in the studio and solo the drums you would laugh, they sound like crap alone. But when mixed with everything else it works perfectly. Same for the other tracks. In fact,... you can solo a track and it sound full and good, it's not going to work. It's going to swamp the mix. And if you have more then one good sounding track (soloed) and mix those together you will get nothing but mud. That mixing stuff is a fine art.
    skullsession
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1765
    RE: mic placement for recording metal drum kit. 2008/12/12 15:36:44 (permalink)
    Funny...there is actually a lot of advice being given here that I do the exact opposite of....no offense to these other guys. I'm sure they get great drum sounds when they record heavy rock. But for ME....

I DO want drums to sound good SOLO'd.

I DO want drums to sound like drums....and not something that I deadened to all hell.

I DO want to pick up the sound of the room. Most killer drum tracks are completely related to the room and the sound of the room. The ROOM - I would argue - is less important than the player, but more important than the actual drum kit.

I don't worry about bleed....I use good mic placement and the bleed is what it is. If the drummer is decent, the bleed is usually acceptable, and your HH will sit just fine in the OH mics.

If I were YOU...and I only had 7 channels to mic the kit. Regardless of how many pieces the kit was, I'd do the following:

Channel 1: Kick
    Channel 2: Snare Top
    Channels 3 & 4: OH mics - spaced pair or XY
    Channels 5: MONO room mic - as far away from the kit as possible
    Channels 6 & 7: Split between toms if necessary (You could also go with MONO OH mic as well if you'd rather close-mic all of your toms...or if you really want to mic that HH.)

My main focus would be to get the kit sounding as good as possible with ONLY the OH mics and the ROOM mic. I'd not compress the OH mics. I like transients. But I'd CRUSH the hell outta the room mic with my fave compressor and blend that in with the OH. (I don't time-align these tracks as some would suggest....let it be...)

Once I had that, I'd add in the close mics to taste. I can tweak/gate/compress/EQ/trigger to my heart's desire on these if I want....it's all good.

The bottom line is that if I don't have the sound of a good drum kit in a decent space to beging with, I can't get a drum track that sounds right to me. Great drum tracks start with the room - in my experience.

HOOK:  Skullsessions.com  / Darwins God Album

"Without a doubt I would have far greater listening and aural skills than most of the forum members here. Not all but many I am sure....I have done more listening than most people." - Jeff Evans on how awesome Jeff Evans is.
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: mic placement for recording metal drum kit. 2008/12/12 21:42:15 (permalink)
    I think the write up was great info.

This is what is good about this forum

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1