At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks?

Author
razor
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1557
2008/12/12 18:13:08 (permalink)

At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks?

Hello--

I've been recording for about 25 years (no, I'm not an old fart--I just started young), and I've been doing the same thing for so long, that I thought I'd consider doing it differently.

"It" is waiting until I've laid all of the instrument tracks before laying the vocal track(s). The reason I used to do that was when I sang the vocals, it "felt" more like I had a band behind me. The reason I still do this, is because that's the way I've always done it.

What I'm considering now is that if I wait to records the vocals until after the instruments are recorded, it will shape the melody of what I compose for the vocals based on the keys and chords of the accompaniment, etc.

I'm trying the lay the vocals on a track I'm working on now where all I have laid is the drums, bass and guitar (rhythm section) but no keys nor harmonies and I felt like the melody of the lyrics I composed were more wide-open.

Of course all of this is subjective, but there are many here that I respect that might have a good insight on this.

Many thanks,

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
Intel i7 4930K CPU
Core i7 SB-E MOBO
16 GB DDR3 RAM
7 TB Storage
Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
UAD-2 DSP
WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
Sound Forge 10 Pro

24 Replies Related Threads

MatsonMusicBox
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 879
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 18:23:17 (permalink)
    I tend to lay a scratch vocal down fairly early ... usually before I send off for real drums or guitar, and also sometimes redo some of my keys to better fit "around" the vocals.

...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 18:25:40 (permalink)
    Well, I've done it two ways so let me show what I think all three ways are and I'll elaborate:

Start with vocals
    Ala Paul Simon or other singer songwriter types. They start with a vocal melody and start fleshing out chords and then structure like that. I do not work this way at all.

Do the music, then the vocals
    I did our first record like this because I didn't have any singers yet. I was able to get rough mixes ready and then work with them to write and then track their parts. Once tracked, I could mix the vox in and lock everything else up. You can't really do a good final mix without the vox if you want the vocals to be a strong part of the song, but you can get close. Using this method I had to dull a few parts and lose some altogether here and there to make room for the vocals. This is why...

Work the vocals in early
    For our current record as soon as I had a basic structure (rhythm and a melodic line and a structure) I brought in the singers to start building their parts. In this way the vocal melody isn't an afterthought, it's written early enough that it's a core part of the song's structure and hook. I then can write musical parts that work with and around the vocals instead of in place of them. they can continue to polish their part until the song is ready to mix, and then we track final vocals and I mix the sucker. I like this way of working a lot.

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 18:25:41 (permalink)
    I do the vocals dead last. not before i master it, but i do mix the song to where i like it, then ill lay down the vocal tracks and then mix again and master it
    I'm trying the lay the vocals on a track I'm working on now where all I have laid is the drums, bass and guitar (rhythm section) but no keys nor harmonies and I felt like the melody of the lyrics I composed were more wide-open.

Yea, theres some planning and looking into the future when doing it this way and my way. It all works out in the end for me when doing them last. you just need to plan ahead and foresee the future..LOL
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 18:31:15 (permalink)
    I work a bit differently, but that's probably because I'm not the singer or lyric writer. I start with a scratch track version of the song - meaning that it's just a rough idea of the musical elements, usually played over just a drum loop - and I compose the melody and harmony ideas using a piano sound. I give this idea to the singer/lyricist to write lyrics to, then we record the vocals. After that, I go back and re-build the song around the vocal tracks. I like doing it this way for two primary reasons: (1) because I think it gives the lyricist more room for interpretation and experimentation, and (2) because the vocals are pretty much always the focus of our songs and I prefer to make the music fit the vocals, rather than vice-versa. In other words, I usually find that after the vocals are recorded, I see where I need to add/subtract/change sounds, add new elements, fill in a hole or clear out some sonic space, etc.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Susan G
    • Total Posts : 12016
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 18:43:24 (permalink)
    Hi-

I record a scratch vocal pretty early on, then maybe "scratch" vocal harmonies as well. I often have only a simple KB or guitar accompaniment in the early stage, so the first iteration is basically a scratch pad or outline.

After I've recorded the other parts against the scratch vocals, I re-record the final vocals, then tweak the other parts if necessary.

This is the easiest way for me, since I often re-compose the song as I record the vocals, and I also often end up changing the lyrics as I go.

Totally different, of course, if you have a "finished" song to start with, but that's the way I've always used SONAR. It wasn't so easy in the olden days!

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
    Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
    SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 20:22:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi-

I record a scratch vocal pretty early on, then maybe "scratch" vocal harmonies as well. I often have only a simple KB or guitar accompaniment in the early stage, so the first iteration is basically a scratch pad or outline.

After I've recorded the other parts against the scratch vocals, I re-record the final vocals, then tweak the other parts if necessary.

This is the easiest way for me, since I often re-compose the song as I record the vocals, and I also often end up changing the lyrics as I go.

Susan's process is pretty much mine as well. I find that the sooner I have at least a reference vocal, then the sooner I have the spine and the focus of the song, which gives me something to hang the rest of the parts and production on. Sometimes, I'll even have the vocal melody and phrasing worked out fairly well before I even start recording, even before I figure out the actual chords, cos I usually sing them unaccompanied for a while (usually into a tiny digital dictation machine) just to find the shape and where the hooks are and to work on what kind of phrasing the lyrics actually need and want. I guess it all depends on the kind of music you do. But this works for me as a pop/rock writer.

AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 21:26:46 (permalink)
    You'll hate my answer...

It depends.

I typically write songs in one of two "modes"...

one is where the riff/chord pattern/melody come with the words fairly close after. Then I practice/perform the song a lot with just guitar/vocal until I know what I want(this can take months...I don't know I'm happy with it until I'm happy with it...if that makes sense) Basically the arrangement is built in my head. Then the recording process basically becomes a "download" of the arrangement with vocals last. There will be some creative additions/subtractions in that process but basically what comes out is the song I heard in my head.(check out my tunes "Here", "Janet's Song" or "Rescue Me" for this mode.)

The other method is that I only come up with a chord structure/beat/melody but no words. I typically lay down a rough version of this and move on. Sometimes I completely make it an instrumental with a guitar or synth where the "vocal" should be(check out my tune "Light the Muse" for an example of this) . Later(sometimes YEARS later) a lyrical idea I have suddenly fits and I then compile the song together. This tends to be frustrating if I had fully fleshed out the instrumental arrangement and then realize that I need to completely rearrange to make it work with the vocal. I have a song that I'm going through the rewrite process right now because I had the audacity to write lyrics!

Anyway...any way that works is "right" but thanX for posting...I am going to experiment a bit with process now and see what changes!

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 21:35:26 (permalink)
    I do a click track and the main instrument the song was written in. Then I lay down vocals. This works well when pieceing a song together from scratch, as you can get a better feel for when and what needs to be accented or fills and solos. If you are doing the vocals early, it's better overall from an efficiency standpoint. Even in a band setting there are opportunities overlooked before a song gets laid down; even if it's a practiced song. The vocal is undeniably the most important part of 99% of all songs. The bass, guitar, drums, and keys all can be written to accent and carry the vocal. Why add the vocal at the end of the line only to find you need to change something else around it after all the tracks are already down and the equipment packed up? It makes more sense to add it early, before you are fully vested in the rest of the tracks.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 21:39:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Susan G

Totally different, of course, if you have a "finished" song to start with, but that's the way I've always used SONAR. It wasn't so easy in the olden days!

-Susan

Yeah, back in the day they called me "Baron Von Rogel" because I was a bit overbearing on how I wanted things played...and how I treated people playing other instruments on songs I wrote.

Sorry

and that goes out to all the people that put up with my crap over the last 30 years

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 21:46:07 (permalink)
    Unfortunately, I'm with Andy.

It all depends on "WHO" came first!!!!

Sometimes I hear a vocal melody - jolted from the ether by a phrase I've come across, or a random thought — and fairly early on I start "mushmouthing" a vocal part - I can hear the cadence, beat and perhaps some vocal ideas, and occasially the odd line or two - but for the most part it's extremely rough.

Sometimes I'll get a wave of lyrics with a melody that I'll just write down. So I've got a complete lyric without any music being set down (but I can hear the music when I read the lyrics.)

Other times, I'll simply get an idea for the song with ABSOLUTELY no vocals, started by a beat I hear, a lick I play, or a jam I start.

There really isn't any rhyme or reason in my methodology.

In fact, I have one song right now I'm struggling with lyrics for. It started with a cool drum beat and nothing else. I have the idea for the theme but I'm not sure how to put down the story. So ATM I'm focusing on fleshing out just a cool tune that "makes sense" and that doesn't suck. The lyrics will HAPPEN when I get to the sweet spot. I won't rush it, they'll just come and then I'd better be ready!!!!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Gregmang
    • Total Posts : 1592
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 22:36:46 (permalink)
    we do a scratch vocal (which sometimes makes it to *final*) over the scratch guitar, bass and drum tracks. However sometimes the scratch tracks make it to final but that happens fairly rarely.
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 22:41:13 (permalink)
    I prefer to track vox near the end of the project. Typically before final leads, harmonies and synth/piano/organ, etc. fillers. The problem I have with using a scratch track for vox is that sometimes I get attached to the first one I carelessly tracked at the begining and never seem to get that same feel back.

Dave
    Songs

Wiz
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 22:49:27 (permalink)
    I do a vocal as early as possible....then I may have a couple of more goes at it during the songs development, tightening vocal phrasing etc...then at the end I usually have another go...

One of those will be the final vocal....sometimes, its the first, as is the case on one of my songs on my new album..the "writing vocal" the very first take of the song...ever....made it to the end...that was pretty cool..

but, whatever works..

cheers

Wiz

Wiz's Album "Forty Years" done with Sonar 7!

http://www.ozlandmusic.com/ozlandstudios/Preview_music.html

Wiz On Itunes
    AndyW
    Max Output Level: -45.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2956
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 23:04:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: spindlebox

Unfortunately, I'm with Andy.

Hey! What's that supposed to mean?

Best,

AndyW

OBJECTS IN MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR

www.soundclick.com/andyw
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 23:46:10 (permalink)
    My process is similar to some others on this thread.

I'll get some basic chord progressions going, record a scratch guitar, maybe a little drums. Then I write the lyrics and lay down a scratch vocal. During recording of the scratch vocal I envariably change the melody and the lyrics. I work at this scratch vocal until the melody and lyrics are composed fully. This is key, because the vocal becomes the central part to which everything else is arranged around. Then I can re-record guitars, start working on the bass line, drums, etc. At this point I'll do the final vocals and then harmonies. After that I add extra parts and begin to mix.

AdamFH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 930
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/12 23:54:00 (permalink)
    I usually lay my vocal tracks when I'm done recording... or when I think I'm done, but sometimes I have one of those uncorrectable vocal flaws (the one which always happens when you sing that certain note, that never goes away no matter how many times you re-record it) so I have to add some extra instruments to cover it up--or extra vocals. I'm all for dual vocals at once. I try not to do more than 3 at once.
    CTek
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/13 00:23:36 (permalink)
    I usually write with guitar / voice simultaneously or kboard / voice. I then record scratch guitar or keyboard to a midi drum "click track". Then record real or scratch bass, then a scratch vocal track. I then start adding real tracks.

If you want to create 'popular' music then the melodic and lyric hooks are what are most important. I would think it difficult to record vocals last.

I use this method because I write and record alone which makes for weak song writing unless you work very hard at it. The 3 songs I have recorded so far are pretty weak in some respects - lack of dynamics, melodic and rythmic monotony etc. I would love to work with a good group of musicians. Where are the Zaiger brothers when you need them?

www.soundclick.com/johnnemo

My Songs 

Sonar 7 | EZ Drums | Pod Farm| Dell Optiplex GX 270 with 1G | XP Home | Mackie 1202 mixer | Adam A7s | AKGC414 B-ULS | Shure SM-58
    spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/13 03:09:02 (permalink)
    the first one I carelessly tracked at the begining

This is an excellent point. Referring to what Gregmang said above as well:

ALWAYS track carefully.

You never know when you're going to peg something. It just doesn't make any sense to do it otherwise. It's a "building good habits" kind of thing.

I've made it a habit that WHATEVER I'm tracking, I get levels perfectly set, instruments perfectly in tune, etc., before I record one lick. Not only does it help my performance, but I've been pleasently surprised with the results on a few occasions, and the first takes have become my LAST. Just like MUSICROOM said, there is sometimes SOMETHING about first takes that captures the essence of the song. I stopped doing throw aways a few times after I experienced the loss of the EXCELLENT first take due to careles tracking.

Food for thought.

post edited by spindlebox - 2008/12/13 03:13:04

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/13 04:10:41 (permalink)
    I can't sing so I have to record the vocals last otherwise everything would be in the key of flat
    razor
    • Total Posts : 1557
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/14 01:31:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input. I see that the new order of where I record my vocals is not new to many of you here. I think I've been boxing my vocals in and making it harder to come up with vocal harmonies by tracking the vocals late in the project. The project I'm working on now will be the first where I've done it differently--so it should be interesting to see if I'm any happier with the melody and harmony of the vocals.

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
    ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
    Intel i7 4930K CPU
    Core i7 SB-E MOBO
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    7 TB Storage
    Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
    UAD-2 DSP
    WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
    Sound Forge 10 Pro
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/14 10:32:02 (permalink)
    If I'm doing a band recording, scratch vox with the band. It is the only way some can find their way through the song.

For my own stuff, my wife sings. I usually get the song finished otherwise, make her a copy, and she figures it out (she provides the melody with it, since I dont' do no stinking melody). We have done a few songs where she comes up with the vox line/melody first.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Milt
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 781
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/14 15:46:54 (permalink)
    I always do the vocals early, right after I have laid down the drum tracks, bass, piano (if one) and guitar rhythm. As previously stated, I always consider that every vocal take might be the right or best one, so I prepare appropriately. Nothing interferes with the vocal harmonies this way, and I can make anything thing added later ( strings, horns, synths, leads, fills etc.) more complimentary.
    ...wicked
    Max Output Level: -1.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7360
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/14 16:13:10 (permalink)
    Looking back over the O/P, I think were seeing a need for distinction here.

There's two processes for vox that I undertake: WRITING the vox (melody and lyrics) and TRACKING the vox (final tracking, like going for it with good gear kind of deal).

Per my original response, but echoing what everyone else says: I like to get the WRITING part in as early as possible because it helps shape the remaining parts around the vocal. This also gives the vocalist time to toy with their part (ha, in my case it gives them MONTHS because that's how long it takes me to write)

TRACKING the final vox tho, I save that for right before final mixing. In most cases I'll have a pretty robust rough mix already (because I'll have the scratch vocal), but I save that well into the process so the singers have something substantial to hear for reference.

On our first record my mixes were penultimate, and I only changed things after the vox to sculpt out some room for the vox. On this record I'm building to mix with all the ingredients last. There's something very rewarding about having all the bits you know need to finish and not having to dicker about in someone else's studio or wait on talent any longer. :-)

===========
    The Fog People
    ===========

Intel i7-4790 
    16GB RAM
    ASUS Z97 
    Roland OctaCapture
    Win10/64   

SONAR Platinum 64-bit    
    billions VSTs, some of which work    
    mrphil
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: At What Point Do 'You' Lay Your Vox Tracks? 2008/12/15 10:21:40 (permalink)
    I lay down all basic tracks to get the harmonies and the feel of the song in place before vocals are recorded.
    A scratch track with vocals may be done sometimes.
    Last comes solos and additional melodies and tracks that "feed" off the vocal parts.
    This is at least when it comes to my own material.
    Different projects may need different approaches.
    post edited by mrphil - 2008/12/15 10:22:54

Sonar 8 | SSL Mixtreme 192  16 I/O |  Mackie 24:8 BUS | dbx | Milab, Shure, AT, AKG
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1