Vocal Track Mix Effects

Author
Dave King
Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2862
2008/12/13 11:10:46 (permalink)

Vocal Track Mix Effects

Hey,

I'm sure folks here who are working with Sonar on a daily basis have settings/plugs that they use consistently from project to project.

I would be interested to find out what your standard plug-in setup is for lead vocal tracks.

Generally speaking, I'm always after a natural and clean lead vocal with presence.

In my case, here's what I usually use:

Effects Bin:
Sonitus Compressor
Sonitus EQ

Sends:
Camelcrusher
Lexicon Pantheon
Sonitus FX Reverb

Anyone else care to share?

Thanks.

Dave King
www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
StudioCat PC
Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
RAM 8 GB
M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

12 Replies Related Threads

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/13 11:31:35 (permalink)
    Its almost always different, depending on whether its lead on background vocals, but I guess this is my "go to" setup.

Voxengo Voxformer in the effects bin. The "in your face" preset, then tweaked before final mix.
    A reverb. This is different almost every time. Sonitus, Lexicon, Studioverb, etc.. Just depends on what the song calls for.

I've worked alot on mic technique over the years, so I'm not using a compressor so much of late. By doing a double track (not a clone), and perhaps a whisper track, I can usually get a nice full vocal track without compression. The Voxformer does a little compression, but I usually dial it way down.

Randy
    post edited by rsp@odyssey.net - 2008/12/13 11:34:25

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    Dave King
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/13 11:48:25 (permalink)
    I'm not familiar with the Voxformer, but it looks similar to the VC64.

You like it better?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/13 12:01:14 (permalink)
    I don't have VC64, so I can't say. I can tell you the Voxformer is the only thing I have found that instantly gives a vocal track great presence and clarity. It makes the track pop out and makes it very easy to get it to sit in a mix, without any pumping that compressors can sometimes cause, especially on longer held notes common to background harmonies. I really like it. I have Sonar8, not PE.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/13 17:16:15 (permalink)
    Usually it's:
    Prosoniq Voxciter, just the de-esser and plosive reducer nothing else enabled

VC64 Fat Vocal, on the active eq reduce the high boost to something reasonable like +2-3db and adjust the compressor as directed in the manual. Turn on the noise gate if it's off.

Line 6 GearBox Gold or Perfect Space for ambiance fx.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/13 21:33:21 (permalink)
    would be interested to find out what your standard plug-in setup is for lead vocal tracks.

I wish i did have a standard, but i use different things in every song. I start with a dry vocal and i mix it and process it to the song at hand. what works for one song will or may not work for another song. Too many variables... I just insert what ever the vocals need for the sound im going for.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/14 17:20:45 (permalink)
    Ozone's harmonic exciter and the Sonitus multiband compressor are the two plugs I use on every vocal track, the former to give it some grit and the latter to de-ess and tame the occasional low-mid woofs.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/15 02:21:26 (permalink)
    Dave,

have you tried the new Tube Leveler. Soon to be on most of my vox tracks. And a Plate convolution Plate. I usually don't do reverb except for Sonitus for carving out the bass a bit, maybe add some high, but if I do it used to be an analog type plug, like Nomad's English or Pultec style. With the analog emulation in Tube Leveler, tho, it might be analog overkill.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Dave King
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/15 20:27:28 (permalink)
    have you tried the new Tube Leveler.

By who? Is this in Sonar 8?

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/15 20:35:37 (permalink)
    Dave,

yea, the Tube Leveler is in 8. A third party analog emulation company is involved, and I think it sounds very nice. Different than most other Cake stuff - rounder. I find it very good and different than most other software.

I've also got voxengo's Soniformer, which can also do the same thing - getting rid of some of the digitalitus hard edge in the upper spectrum - the sharpness.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Dave King
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/15 20:43:08 (permalink)
    Ah. I don't have 8 (yet).

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/16 12:34:48 (permalink)
    Well, I must be from the hills... I use the cake platform Fx .... reverb for some depth & paraEQ to add brilliance ,.. if I need them. And of course, Ozone in the master buss.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    cryophonik
    Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4724
    RE: Vocal Track Mix Effects 2008/12/16 15:17:35 (permalink)
    I don't have a standard setup, but I typically start with the Sonitus EQ and Compressor inserted in each vocal track's FX bin and adjust each one as needed. BTW, I often have my verses, choruses, bridges, etc. on their own tracks for more flexibility and to minimize automation, envelopes, etc. I route the outputs of each vocal track to a "Vocals" buss to process the vocal tracks as one. I typically insert either the Waves Ren Channel or VC64 on this buss' FX bin and use this to shape the overall sound of the vocal tracks. I also usually tend to de-ess at the buss stage, rather than the individual tracks, depending on the tracks. If there are background vocals, I usually take a similar approach, but with the vox routed to their own "BG Vocals" buss.

As far as effects go, my standard templates have three busses set up as send FX for vocals: (1) Sonitus Delay, (2) Tone2 WarmVerb, and (3) Waves RenVerb

For special vocal FX, all of the above goes out the window and I just do whatever it takes, but that usually involves inserting Tone2 WarmVerb and/or FilterBank 3 into the track and just going a little bit bonkers.

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
    Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1