Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
SteveJL
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4644
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 04:09:20 (permalink)
My Fav's are:

Christmas Eve in Sarajevo by Transiberian Orchestra http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iY4Tom6-wM

Do They Know It's Christmas? by Band Aid (Orig version) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jEnTSQStGE

Little Drummer Boy by David Bowie and Bing Crosby http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9KpNznVLlY

Merry Christmas Everyone

papa2004
Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6475
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 05:49:00 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

The other folks in the pit for the production of Peter Pan I'm currently playing (the trombone chair) have been going on about this song called 'The Christmas Shoes" which sounds really terrible but which I have not heard. Apparently, it's all about the emotional manipulation...

You haven't heard the song, yet you think if "sounds really terrible"...? The song is, in fact, about "emotional manipulation"...Then again, don't many--if not most--songs fit into that category?

The song is about a man shopping for last minute Christmas gifts. He's irritated by the crowds and the bothersome nature of his chores. He encounters a young child wishing to purchase a gift for his dying mother...The "hook line" to the premise is the child iterating "I want her to look beautiful, when Mama meets Jesus tonight"...

Regardless of one's religious background or personal beliefs, the song was well-produced, performed to (IMO) perfection, and contains a message that many of us might be better off by revisiting it sometimes...

Have a listen to the song...Put aside all of your personal musical preferences...Listen to the song with an open mind, concentrate on the story (isn't "story" a part of song composition?)...I don't care if you're a hard-rocker or a shredder...The lyrics tell the story of a young child trying to deal with the inevitable loss of his mother and his "last chance" to do something he thinks is worthwhile for his mother...

I haven't read all of the posts on this thread, I was compelled to stop (and reply) to the post about the song "The Christmas Shoes"...The song isn't a recent release (at least not the original version)...I first heard the song circa 1998...

For the record, a cheezy movie (starring Rob Lowe) was made based on the song (or perhaps the novel or written story that inspired the song...perhaps like the "You Light Up My Life" disaster)...Nonetheless, the song has a great message...

Oh yeah, the song "Dear Mr. Jesus" makes me cry...I'm not afraid to show my emotions and the idea that we, as a society, still haven't seriously addressed the issues of domestic violence (including pet abuse) is completely beyond my comprehension...Additionally, "Old City Bar" (TSO) is a great song that elicits a lot of emotiona response (unless you're one of the emotionally-challenged visitors to these forums)...

Merry Christmas to you all...I sincerely hope you are all able to stay warm & comfy with your family and friends and enjoy good fellowship & memorable experiences...
post edited by papa2004 - 2008/12/21 06:13:09

Regards,
Papa
daveny5
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 16934
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 12:47:23 (permalink)
o holy night is by far my fav
rarly hear a man do it well.

Josh Grobin recorded it for his Christmas album. I've heard it and its pretty good if you like Grobin's style. You might still be able to get it for free from Oprah's site (my wife told me about it).

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
godino
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 401
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 13:34:34 (permalink)
Best/worst christmas song - cant decide

Theres one I here quite often in a shop at Christmas time(they use the same disc every year) - I think is called something like 'The little boy that Santa Clause forgot' could be from 20's-40's

Nice tune - but its got one killer line something like
'I'm so sorry for the laddie, cause he hasn't got a daddy'
must have been a real choker in its time.

gordo

Sonar Platinum - intel I7 7700K - Windows 10 home 64 bit - focusrite 214i -  Roland Guitar Synth GR55 - Maschine Mk3 - Oxygen8 keyboard - Guitars basses etc
mrBun
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 17:23:34 (permalink)
Personal favourite, would have to be Robert Earl Keen’s- Merry Christmas from the Family;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P37xPiRz1sg
I always play this after doing the annual rello's roundup.

Paul Kelly- How to make Gravy;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPaCUidUkQ
Paul Kelly is just cool. full stop.
Spins a great yarn….this isn’t his best effort by a long shot, but stands out as a great Xmas song all the same.

Finally;
Kevin Bloody Wilson- Hey Santa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCN82vMrI2Q
People…this is a VERY Australian song.
It has to be said, that if language offends…then please don’t watch this….. You have been warned.

We have a fairly casual approach to swearing down under, and I have seen this played on mainstream television here. (Denton for the Oz folk)
Kevin Bloody Wilson writes songs for and about what we call “Bogans”…. Similar to the folks the Poms call yobbos, and the Seppos call rednecks (sorta)…
...in spite of having virtually no industry support, the man moves truckloads of this stuff, and is a multi-millionaire as a result.
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 18:04:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mrBun

Kevin Bloody Wilson- Hey Santa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCN82vMrI2Q
People…this is a VERY Australian song.
It has to be said, that if language offends…then please don’t watch this….. You have been warned.

Marvellous stuff Geoff - I guess you must be a Billy Birmingham fan too?

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

mrBun
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 173
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 18:52:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: SteveStrummerUK

Marvellous stuff Geoff - I guess you must be a Billy Birmingham fan too?

Aah the twelfth Man….. yeah, pretty funny stuff….dude’s a great mimic.
…. Mind you we look like we’re in for a sticky wicket this season….. planet Earth is caning our lads pretty hard……. All that sledging had to come back and bite us eventually I guess…. I suspect we’re in for a series of suspiciously quiet Mondays around the water cooler in these parts.

Christmas starts in our retail outlets around August/September here…. So by December, I am completely over schmaltzy attempts to part me from my hard-earned.
I tend to enjoy irreverent or thoughtful takes on the subject…… A few people mentioned the Pogue’s Xmas song which is also cool….. But sadly it is also hitting saturation point on all the local “alt” media outlets who feel the need to dip a toe in….. But can’t quite come at Bing n’ Bowie.
Aah well, it will be done in a few days I guess….. Someone needs to write a JANUARY SALES!!! Series of songs…. There’s gold in them there hills!
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 19:43:33 (permalink)
Worst?
Dominic the Donkey......
Enuff said....

Best?

Silent Night
The Chestnut Song.
Have Yourself a Merry Little Xmas
Sleigh Ride
Frosty the Snowman (Johnny Mathis Version with the Bimbettes)
Santa Claus is Coming to Town (Manhattan Transfer)
Kenny Rankin Christmas stuff is real nice.

I'm just back from my annual Xmas gig at the children's hospital and got into a discussion with another keyboard player and we were talking about the complexity of Christmas songs in general.
I'm a jazz pianist, professional, and I have to say some of the variations on these tunes are incredibly interesting.
Yea, you can play O'Little Town of Bethlehem the easy way or the hard way.

Listen to the Beegie Adair Trio for some really nice stuff.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and Happy Hanukkah to all!

jcschild
Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3409
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 21:07:09 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: daveny5

o holy night is by far my fav
rarly hear a man do it well.

Josh Grobin recorded it for his Christmas album. I've heard it and its pretty good if you like Grobin's style. You might still be able to get it for free from Oprah's site (my wife told me about it).

found him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQWXfHzOKUU

very good your wife was right another i found was John Berry

also the one by Tran Siberia Orch.
post edited by jcschild - 2008/12/21 21:10:16

Scott
ADK
Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
wormser
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 984
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 21:43:05 (permalink)
Josh and Buble' have a lot of talent.
For a nice change try Lee Anne Rimes or Lee Anne Womack (can't remember which one) Man with the Bag...
Some kool big band singing!
RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/21 22:11:17 (permalink)
My all-time favorite: the Mannheim Steamroller rendition of Silent Night.
Gets me every time.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
mumpcake
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1609
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/22 01:04:34 (permalink)
Two ex-Beatles are strong contenders for best and worst, respectively.

But a song that could win in all three categories would be Spinal Tap's "Christmas with the Devil":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sixsHSheV4g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvCjZJenyN8
zungle
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2745
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/22 01:30:11 (permalink)
Christmas Eve in Sarajevo by Transiberian Orchestra

Originally recorded by Savatage on the "Dead Winter Dead" release.........Produced by Paul O'Neil and Jon Oliva..................the song went over so well in Europe it was later re-mixed and released in the US ........then giving birth to Tran-Siberian Orchestra.

superdan54
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 526
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/22 10:18:13 (permalink)
Best:
"Little Saint Nick" - Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem
David Grisman's Acoustic Christmas - the whole album
Drifters - "White Christmas"

Worst:
that friggin hippopotamus song
that friggin Paul McCartney song

Oddest:
Weird Al - "Christmas at Ground Zero"
post edited by superdan54 - 2008/12/22 10:19:17
space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: Best, Worst and Oddest Christmas Songs? 2008/12/22 12:34:16 (permalink)
I Love Christmas Island By Leon Redbone. It is never really Christmas until I hear that.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1