OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up

Author
rchristiejr
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1342
2008/12/18 16:20:45 (permalink)

OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up

Im using a 750G drive to store backups, etc on my P4 3ghrtz 2G ram HP.

However when I connect the drive to the system and restart it, the system hangs up.
If I connect the drive after I log into the computer system it works fine.

Any suggestions on how to allow the drive to be connected to the computer system while it comes up / restart?

RFC JR
Pure Desires~~

9 Replies Related Threads

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/18 16:30:58 (permalink)
    This sounds like a boot disc order problem that you may be able to configure in BIOS, and may be a simple matter of setting the internal drive as the default boot drive.

If you are comfortable doing this sort of thing, check the BIOS disc settings on the next reboot.

If not, bring to a computer tech -- they'll know what to do.

--kwgm
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/18 16:45:39 (permalink)
    "The system hangs up" does not really tell us very much. I agree that you may have a problem with boot order, but really need to know what happens. Does the system not boot at all? Generally, the OS would need to be loading from somewhere before it could even recognize that there was a USB device connected unless your bios is USB aware and set to look for a boot drive on USB. What exactly do you see and hear when you start the computer?
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/18 17:49:36 (permalink)
    I have a P4/3.0 ghz and if I restart while my LaCie 1tb BigDisk is turned on, it also hangs on the BIOS screen. I have got in the habit of shutting the computer off then on again instead as the BIOS likely doesn't know what to do with this hardware. I consider it normal behaviour: when new meets old, things don't always jive.

rchristiejr
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/19 13:23:00 (permalink)
    "The system hangs up" does not really tell us very much. I agree that you may have a problem with boot order, but really need to know what happens. Does the system not boot at all? Generally, the OS would need to be loading from somewhere before it could even recognize that there was a USB device connected unless your bios is USB aware and set to look for a boot drive on USB. What exactly do you see and hear when you start the computer?

Nothing happens. The screen stops at the XP "splash" page.

Thanks to all responders.

RFC JR
    Pure Desires~~

Desperate Dan
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1554
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/19 13:37:15 (permalink)
    Im using a 750G drive to store backups, etc on my P4 3ghrtz 2G ram HP.

However when I connect the drive to the system and restart it, the system hangs up.
    If I connect the drive after I log into the computer system it works fine.

Any suggestions on how to allow the drive to be connected to the computer system while it comes up / restart?

I had the same problem, the Jumper on the Seagate Hard drive inside the case was set to "SLAVE" position (ie No Jumper) instead of "MASTER" (Jumper on Pins 2/7) It was hanging my Vista and eventually BSOD in PARTMGR.SYS

Windows 7 Professional  64 bit - Intel Q-9550 2.83 CPU, 8Gb DDR800, Gigabyte EP35-DS3R, M-Audio Delta 44, Yamaha HS-80M Monitors, UAD-1 Ultra Pack

I'm reading a book about anti-gravity at the moment and I just can't put it down
    slartabartfast
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/20 21:39:10 (permalink)
    Ok, so if the splash screen is showing, your system has probably found the correct boot drive (or it would not be booting). Considering how easy it is to plug in an external drive, the best advice is to quit now. If you want to pursue the quest, consider setting your computer to boot up without the splash screen. If you take away the pretty but boring splash screen you will find more than you ever wanted to know about what is happening as windows boots. If you are very lucky, the last thing you see may be an error message suggesting why your system boot stops if the drive is plugged in when you start it.

how to disable the windows splash screen

ORIGINAL: rchristiejr

Nothing happens. The screen stops at the XP "splash" page.

Thanks to all responders.

don4777
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/20 22:00:24 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem. I found an option in the BIOS for "USB Emulation". This provides a way for the hardware to communicate with a USB device before the USB drivers are loaded by Windows. Once I DISABLED this option Windows would boot successfully. Before that I needed to keep the USB drive unplugged while booting and then plug in the drive. I think the option is there so that you can actually boot from a USB device. If you aren't booting from a USB device I would recommend turning this feature off if you find it in your BIOS settings.

Don
    slartabartfast
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/20 22:47:57 (permalink)
    1+
    This is your best/easiest first try at a fix.

Here is a more verbose article describing the process to enable USB booting, you just need to do the opposite, i.e. disable it, to see if that solves the problem.

ORIGINAL: don4777

I had a similar problem. I found an option in the BIOS for "USB Emulation". This provides a way for the hardware to communicate with a USB device before the USB drivers are loaded by Windows. Once I DISABLED this option Windows would boot successfully. Before that I needed to keep the USB drive unplugged while booting and then plug in the drive. I think the option is there so that you can actually boot from a USB device. If you aren't booting from a USB device I would recommend turning this feature off if you find it in your BIOS settings.

Don

rchristiejr
    RE: OT: External USB 750G drive hangs system upon start up 2008/12/22 15:02:05 (permalink)
    Thanks to each of you!

ORIGINAL: slartabartfast

1+
    This is your best/easiest first try at a fix.

Here is a more verbose article describing the process to enable USB booting, you just need to do the opposite, i.e. disable it, to see if that solves the problem.

ORIGINAL: don4777

Don

RFC JR
    Pure Desires~~

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1