Free E-MU Proteus VX

Author
KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
2008/12/18 20:58:35 (permalink)

Free E-MU Proteus VX

Maybe old news to you, but it was new to me. Has some great sounds.

http://www.emu.com/promo/proteusvx/

You will get the full version of Proteus VX Software Sound Module software which includes the enhanced v2.0.1 Proteus X Composer Bank. (a special E-MU tweaked version of the Composer bank) that can be used in all versions of Proteus X or Emulator X software. Proteus VX is not copy protected or card locked, and can be used either as a VSTi or in stand alone mode.

17 Replies Related Threads

AdamFH
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 930
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/18 21:01:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KenB123

Maybe old news to you, but it was new to me. Has some great sounds.

http://www.emu.com/promo/proteusvx/

You will get the full version of Proteus VX Software Sound Module software which includes the enhanced v2.0.1 Proteus X Composer Bank. (a special E-MU tweaked version of the Composer bank) that can be used in all versions of Proteus X or Emulator X software. Proteus VX is not copy protected or card locked, and can be used either as a VSTi or in stand alone mode.

No limitations?
    ChristopherM
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/19 05:18:01 (permalink)
    No limitations?
    Well, it's not crippleware, if that's what you mean by limitations, but it is essentially a ROMpler driven by the Emulator X2 engine, which means that it can play any already-prepared sample sets in the E-MU .exb format. Presumably, E-MU's strategy is the same as that of many other vendors - give away the player and make money by selling sample sets. However, it is not a sampler, sou you cannot create samples with it, nor does it allow the extensive editing that Emulator X2 provides. In my case, I am finding it a very convenient alternative to Emulator X2 for playing back samples in Sonar (because it is faster to load and seems less resource hungry than Emulator X2).

The sound bank that comes with it is generous, good-quality and pretty broad-ranging, although the sounds are somewhat closer to dated than to timeless classics, IMWO. A great freebie, nevertheless.
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/19 10:09:08 (permalink)
    thanks Ken , yep it was mentioned her some time ago..

other things you might like if you haven't got them already

NI kore player + the Christmas pack they are doing
    http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=koreplayer

http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=holidaycompilation&L=1

yellow tools independence free
    http://www.yellowtools.us/cp21/cms/index.php?id=842

uvi

http://www.uvisoundsource.com/uvi-workstation/article_info.php/articles_id/8

some do install copy protection things, so if like some people you don't like , then they aren't for you.

Tal has some nice things yoiu might find of interesting
    http://kunz.corrupt.ch/?Products

I like the bassline one, and I should try the vocoder they did but haven't yet.

keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/19 10:30:06 (permalink)
    Digital Sound Factory also has a couple of freebi EM-U X banks: http://www.digitalsoundfactory.com/free-soundfonts/product_info.php/products_id/206

... though I haven't had a chance to play with them...

BTW, I ws pleasantly surprised with the amount of fairly useful content in the VX freebie, and I didn't think I'd be saying that... Not a big fan of the interface, but the engine is multitimbral, which I don't think the NI Kore freebie is (which makes it a no-go for me). Speaking of multitimbral, I haven't used VX in a while, but when I did I noticed I couldn't save a multi setup in SONAR 7 with more than like 3 channels... I could add 4, 5, etc. channels just fine, but after avin and reloading the project I only got back the first 3... anyone else experience that???
    Fog
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/19 10:36:02 (permalink)
    keith, kore it's not bad in the sense of other aspects.. I mean the patch browser + the fact you can chain any of your vst-i's / fx to make new sounds even if they aren't NI ones.

ChristopherM
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/19 11:45:53 (permalink)
    the engine is multitimbral, which I don't think the NI Kore freebie is (which makes it a no-go for me).
    Just curious - why wouldn't you just load multiple instances?
    keith
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3882
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/19 12:23:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog
    keith, kore it's not bad in the sense of other aspects.. I mean the patch browser + the fact you can chain any of your vst-i's / fx to make new sounds even if they aren't NI ones.

No, not bad at all. I thought it sounded good, and hey you can't argue with a free player for loading low-cost sound packs. For some reason I was just put off by the one-at-a-time nature of it... like you have all of this "engine power", if you will, but you can only deal with one sound at a time. I guess that's probably one of the things that separates the free product from the not-free product (at least from what I can tell from the description of the missing "sound matrix" from Kore 2)...

As far as why one would want to avod multiple instances: obviously, if it requires multiple instances to get the sounds you want, then you need to use mulitple instances... this is the reality of using most of today's soft synths, particularly VAs and such that are not generally multitimbral. However, with something as complex as the Kore player with it's 5 or so sound engines, I'm thinking a single instance of Kore player has a certain substantial per-instance overhead that you'd like to take advantage of across sounds/patches. So... if a single Kore player requires, let's say, 100MB by itself (no sounds loaded, just voice and engine buffers, etc.), then 5 instances carries an overhead of 500MB. On the the other hand, if a single instance could host multiple sounds then the overhead might be 1/4 of that. This perspective is based on my experience with Kontakt, but I don't have any real data to back this up wrt. Kore free or Kore 2... would be curious to see real numbers on Kore player overhead, which I might do later if I have time.
    post edited by keith - 2008/12/19 12:25:52
    JSkeen
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 612
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/20 13:04:25 (permalink)
    thanks for the link :)
    freendeed
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/27 23:12:34 (permalink)
    Fog,

Thanks for all the mentions of the other synths. I have them all but have never installed them. But after finding what an incredible thing the Proteus VX was I tried some of the others.

One you didn't mention was Tascam's CVP (Continous Velocity Piano): http://www.tascam.com/details;8,7,51.html. It's a free download but I can't get it to install. I don't see that you need anything previous (any Tascam, GVI, GIGA, etc.) thing installed. There are several "setup.exe"'s in the installation package (of course only one per folder) so I started with the first one named but installation error I get is

"This software requires Service Pack 2 for Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600) or later. Please see the documentation for the operating system requirements.".

I have WinXP (Home) with Service Pack 3 and all critical updates. Has anyone else seen this problem or know the answer?

TIA.

free

Upright
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 434
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 02:27:57 (permalink)
    Awesome stuff guys.....Thanks Ken and Fog.

Windows 7 64-bit, i7 2.93 GHz, EP45-DS3R Mother Board 2GB ram, 2 sata 500GB drives, M-Audio ProFire 610, Sonar 8PE, Alpha Track, Mpc 2500

Bless the Lord!!
    ChristopherM
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 05:42:57 (permalink)
    "This software requires Service Pack 2 for Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600) or later. Please see the documentation for the operating system requirements.".

I have WinXP (Home) with Service Pack 3 and all critical updates. Has anyone else seen this problem or know the answer?
    You seem to have answered your own question. My guess is that the coders neglected to consider the "SP2 or higher" case, so the installer fails because you are now on SP3. This category of coding screw-up used to be very common, but, fortunately, it is not widespread any more. As I think that Tascam has given up supporting this (and other Giga) products, I think your only chance is to roll back to SP2 ... but is that really worth it? Only you can decide ...
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 06:57:20 (permalink)
    You seem to have answered your own question. My guess is that the coders neglected to consider the "SP2 or higher" case, so the installer fails because you are now on SP3. This category of coding screw-up used to be very common, but, fortunately, it is not widespread any more. As I think that Tascam has given up supporting this (and other Giga) products, I think your only chance is to roll back to SP2 ... but is that really worth it? Only you can decide ...
    I had no trouble installing it on my Vista system. BTW thanks Free for telling us about this.

Best
    John
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 07:17:42 (permalink)
    One you didn't mention was Tascam's CVP (Continous Velocity Piano): http://www.tascam.com/details;8,7,51.html. It's a free download but I can't get it to install.

I can't even get the link to work...

Regards,
    Papa
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 07:23:31 (permalink)
    You will need to use the search function on their web site to get to the software. Use this as your term Continuous Velocity Piano.

Best
    John
    Fog
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 11:06:05 (permalink)
    I forgot about the piano.. I did download the tascam one , but am pretty much swamped with pianos and haven't tried it.. thankfully they aren't real or I'd have to move to a warehouse

All the companies are pretty much going for the angle where the money is being made from the additional sound packs and the engine being the intro.

probably my favourite freebies over the years are things like synth1, dahornet , glitch and a few more.

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/214.html
    (the additional presets people have made REALLY make it good)

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/416.html

http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1904.html

I'd have said superwave p8, but heck they lost kudos when the messed their registered customers (inc. me) about.

of course Muz3um (for rapture & LE) by Francesco is very good also, but heck I'm biased..hehe

It's tricky though if you go KVR, you can find a lot of gems, but some of the things look very nice, but the sound is poor. Or they are coded in a way and really batter you cpu.

post edited by Fog - 2008/12/28 11:13:39
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 11:53:27 (permalink)
    Sunday Morn

Using Sonar 7.03, XP pro, 32

Proteus VX does not start playing unless I double click the sample name.

Consequently I cannot bounce to tracks, fast or real-time.

This may be related to XP service pack 3.

And it behaves the same in standalone.

However, I can start the project, then click a 2nd instrument and then the one I want. (Cannot do this when used as plug-in.)

I recorded the part to a track real-time. (I tried other plug-ins, none had the organ sound I liked.)

Annoying but true.

=========
    Other stuff does not work as plug-in:
    using first letter to find items in the library,...

J

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Free E-MU Proteus VX 2008/12/28 13:50:57 (permalink)
    Synth1 is an excellent VA, and amazingly, keeps playing along with each new version of Sonar.

Other synths, available for free download, or a small donation, that are quite good:

- Oatmeal - a most interesting VA hybrid, that always surprises me with the variety of sound available (like Synth1). The base skin for Oatmeal is bland and uninspiring (hence, the name). Fortunately, there are alternate skins available, that improve the plugin's useability and overall aesthetics. You'll find many patch libraries available for download, from the whole cast of web-based sound designers. It's a very popular synth.
    - DSK Ethereal Pads, Darkness Theory, and many of the instrument simulations: Guitar, Organ, Horns, etc.
    - Krakli many synths emulate old workhorses, and include a few esoteric electronic sound generators as well. It's a large collection and all free.
    - Ugo is another producer of interesting synths, some free.
    - Wollo Drone and FMera -- Drone sounds like old Roland analogs, while FMera is a pad synth with a few interesting features. These are free.
    - H.G. Fortune has a unique collection of synths, some free and some for shareware prices (in the range of $40 to $80), based on interesting libraries of SF2 waves. These libraries include sweet string pads, drones, metal, unique modulations and morphs, additive, subtractive, fm, and other synthesis techniques -- you name it. He's also been developing a line of rhythm/mood generating synths for electronica.
    - Finally, don't forget the RGC freebies like Square, Triangle, and Pentagon, which may be available here, but if not, check KVR.

I've barely scratched the surface. There are dozens of great sounding synths freely available for download, but you must do your own research. Fortunately, KVRAudio.com contains a comprehensive database of plugin info. KVR is a great source of news, information, and has a forum peopled by knowledgeable participants (who are also highly opinionated, so if you choose to participate, do not forget to wear your under armor). Also, Rekkerd.org is a source of patch library downloads (and the source of DSK downloads).

A warning -- you can lose a good year exploring this territory, so use your time wisely. The excitement of discovering new sounds and tools can be very distracting, and has been known to kill the momentum of many projects. It is usually best to postpone this adventure until you are between projects. (Some say that you're much better off postponing this exploration, forever.)

--kwgm
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1