Author
Spaceduck
Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2499
2008/12/20 12:36:48 (permalink)

Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$

The battle is officially over, according to this article
Music industry drops effort to sue song swappers

The verdict... in case you didn't see it coming a mile away...
"Because of high legal costs for defenders, virtually all of those hit with lawsuits settled, on average for around $3,500. The [RIAA] association's legal costs, in the meantime, exceeded the settlement money it brought in."

RIAA lost money, the illegal downloaders lost money, the artists lost money, the lawyers made out like bandits

Spaceduck music [HERE]
Spaceduck videos [HERE]

9 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/21 11:34:59 (permalink)
    Space , I don't have any time for the RIAA for one reason.. those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones..

the majors (who I guess fund the RIAA in part) in the US turn a blind eye to sampling NONE US music, which is making US artists/labels money off others backs.

thing is copyright is worldwide? apparently not so, you'll quite happily get people chasing none US artists for not clearing samples, but if your in the US, you can sample anything from outside the US and have to go to the states to contest it...

it's a big double standard and the amount of stuff that is obscure (but still copyright) that's been used without proper clearance is a joke.

so when people were kids in the 70's and 80's they didn't make up tapes of their favourite music, even recording a TV show, your supposed to delete it after a certain time etc. I guess it's the scale in which people do things also and if they are profitting etc from it.

Lawyers will always make money, that's how it is. The world is litigious and well it's just a replacement for some peoples lack of common sense.

post edited by Fog - 2008/12/21 11:37:32
    Spaceduck
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/21 12:46:51 (permalink)
    Yup, that's the problem... there is simply no "internet court" that can protect copyrights and stop illegal downloads. So it's a waste of time & money trying to make a legal issue out of it. As this debacle shows, you'll just end up feeding the lawyers, and nothing will get solved in the end!

I think the music industry (that includes us!) should just accept it that once the music is in digital format, it's free & fair game for the entire world. We'll just have to make our money elsewhere (tours, DVDs, t-shirts... donations... ). Or here's a novel concept--as soon as we finish a song, we should sell the rights to some big label (or rich benefactor like in the old days) and let them worry about who's stealing it while we focus on making new music. In any case, like you said, this is a whole different ballgame from the 70s & 80s. We just have to adapt.

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/21 20:43:56 (permalink)
    space.. people need to eat / pay bills.. so giving it away free.. different.. hhmm

not everyone I know gigs.. some it would cost a fortune (my friend uses 10+ musicians , violins etc.. for their setup and they rarely play live due to the expense)

licensing is a good thing if you can nail it, like moby did with his play album.. EVERY track was used in an advert / film etc. and the bonus of a free advert.

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/22 09:55:11 (permalink)
    i think yep said one time that the whole pop star phenomenon is a relatively new development and there's no particular reason to think it would last. or something to that effect. but the point is that you couldn't always get rich off music and it looks like it's heading that direction again. local bands and artists just getting by is the norm.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Spaceduck
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/22 10:58:46 (permalink)
    Yeah... historically musicians have been dirt poor, and that never hurt the music. I agree the pop star phenomenon is something completely different. It's sortofa hybrid between movie star, social icon and fashion model. With an ounce of music thrown in for flavor.

As far as music piracy goes, I don't think any of us grassroots musicians will ever be affected... and we'll still be able to make a modest living if we do it right. I think music piracy only becomes an issue if we're talking about millions of downloads, which is why the only complainers seem to be the RIAA and Madonna. I for one would be honored to get that much attention, paying customers or not!
    post edited by Spaceduck - 2008/12/22 11:01:58

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/22 11:21:58 (permalink)
    to me the issue is that recorded music isn't worth what it was before distribution became effectively free. however it is still worth something. finding out what that is - that is the difficult part. the same music is worth more to some people than others. especially in album format.

- jack the ex-cynic
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/22 13:04:23 (permalink)

Well I'm not up to date on theRIAA issue but I do understand the
    issues here. Stealing as it is is just that. However the issues at hand
    can become extremly complex. If somehow we could get the world
    to SUPPORT artistry and respect it then hopfully theyd show that
    with finacial support.

They are TAKING the music in part because sociaty tends to give
    the impression that its free. I once gave a freind a cd of three of my songs and he made me take his twenty bucks for it. He valued it
    and supporting me was important to him.

Now lets take an example of something. If a million people sent me
    a mere ten cents a song for my stuff thats ten grand. That sure would
    help me invest more in my studio upgrades.

Getting to know the person behind the music I think would go a long in helping this issue. As far as little ol me a good website and interaction
    with the poteintial customers i think would be good. I like the group
    Rascal Flat to use one example but I dont see me being able to send em
    an email and say antyhing about this or that.

Or say Maria cary or anyone for that matter. They are big and im sure busy etc. Those of us here do interact with each other. We arnt out of
    reach so to speak. Music shouldnt become a free comadity nor should
    it be so big that those who do buy or steal it are treating it as just a
    thing.

What I've seen from some of the artist is after it gets out of hand they
    creat an uproar about it. And some percieve it as greed. Whether it is
    or isnt is not for me to say. But I can say that respect and support from the writer to the buyer would be a good thing.

I could buy a nice house with the money I've spent on musicical
    and recording equipment through the years. If you count the hours
    I've spent in my project studio getting it up to par I'd be in the negative
    and I mean way in the negative.

The general public does not realize just how much time and money
    goes into us little guys efforts. they only see the end result. Some of
    them arent even interested in knowing.

Again there are so many different situations so its hard to say if its
    this then do that and if its that then do this. So id say its back to interation
    but how would I interact with my fans one on one if there were 100
    million of them?

I enjoy meeting someone who gets to know about an artist or subject.
    Not just someone who throws a bunch of stuff on an ipod. I'm new
    here as a member but I've got about fifty years in music. I"ve seen many
    people here be extremly supportive of each other.

Some of the music is so so at best and some of it is astonishinly
    remarkable. I'm impressed with some of these peoples willingness
    to help share and support each other.

Now if only we could get the world to see how much we care and
    do here then at least some of them would support artistry and start
    to do away with the lack of whatever it is.

jimmy

Spaceduck
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/22 13:07:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jacktheexcynic
    the same music is worth more to some people than others. especially in album format.

I've often wondered if musicians get back to making albums rather than singles, will that have an impact on the value of music? For one thing, it's harder for people to swap entire albums because of the file size. But more significantly, I think the listener has a sense of pride to own an album complete with artwork & interesting liner notes. And who knows, the album itself can become a collector's item in 30 years like those copies of Abbey Road that sell for $600 on ebay. You can't do that with mp3 files

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Final score... RIAA: 0, Pirates: 0, Artists: 0, Lawyers: $$$ 2008/12/22 13:27:37 (permalink)
    i think the music industry really screwed themselves by producing "albums" based on the merits of one or two songs. look at dark side of the moon - that was a work of art in and of itself, besides the individual songs. the sum was greater than the whole of its parts. the idea of an album is not just a collection of 10 songs but to present itself as a work of art. the industry took advantage of that by turning albums into filler.

by destroying that idea, and maintaining a stranglehold on album prices through distribution rights, the industry ensured that when that stranglehold was broken they'd get a world-class backlash. not that it is their fault that people steal music, but they certainly set themselves up for a much bigger fall than was necessary.

the reality is, i would pay even more than $17 for a really great album. or more than 99 cents for a really great song. of course i'm in the minority, because a generation has been trained that music is worthless and the industry is partly to blame. and we've lost a lot more than just money.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1