Computer slowed down

Author
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2008/12/21 08:59:06 (permalink)

Computer slowed down

HI there. I have a Q6600 chip @2.4Ghz with 3G RAM running XP. This system used to hum 3 months ago and then something started to happen. It now is very slow and has ocasional crashes. I have tried to clean the registry, run spyware, antivirus and defragged- all to no avail. Could someone help me fix this situation?

3 Replies Related Threads

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Computer slowed down 2008/12/21 11:27:44 (permalink)
    do you install updates? do you go on the internet? did you install any new hardware?

- jack the ex-cynic
    PathosLogos
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Computer slowed down 2008/12/21 11:43:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: munmun

HI there. I have a Q6600 chip @2.4Ghz with 3G RAM running XP. This system used to hum 3 months ago and then something started to happen. It now is very slow and has ocasional crashes. I have tried to clean the registry, run spyware, antivirus and defragged- all to no avail. Could someone help me fix this situation?

Perhaps it would be a bit more helpful if you posted your PC specs and some pertinent apps that you have installed so others can give you better suggestions or advice.

Some things to consider:

1) It's quite possible that some antivirus softwares can't detect certain "worm" variants (and these are starting to infect your system files one by one eventually slowing down your system)...

2) How's the ventilation of the PC DAW? Did you overclock your processor? Is your processor fan still ok?

3) When your PC crashes/hangs/reboots or slows down, does it happen when you use a particular application OR when you perform a particular task (e.g. recording, simultaneous VSTi)

4) How's the memory (RAM)...did you overclock above its specs? Are the mem modules of the same batch, model, speed and manufacturer? Are they still in good condition (try running MEMTEST

5) How's the PSU (i.e. Power Supply Unit)? Do you smell anything like "burning silicon"? Does your PC power-up then turn off...then power-up again only to turn off after some time for no reason?

6) How's the motherboard, do you notice any leaking capacitors? See any "burned" parts near or around the processor socket?

Troubleshooting is always a challenge and oftentimes a headache, and in the end...despite all of the advices/suggestions you'll get...only you can determine the culprit...assuming you decide against having a computer tech diagnose it for you.
    post edited by PathosLogos - 2008/12/21 11:51:26

Pentium D 925 3GHz dual-core , MSI P31 Neo v2, 4GB DDR2 800, ATI X1650 Pro 512mb, Audiophile 2496, Seagate SATA HDDs (80, 80, 320, 500), Antec 430w PSU, Behringer UMX61, Casio Privia PX-320, Emu Xmidi 2x2, Pearl Drum set (acoustic), Carlsbro mixer
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Computer slowed down 2008/12/21 14:26:02 (permalink)
    Check all the stuff that is running "behind the scenes" . Many computers have lots of TSR's running and also check the startup menu. Only allow the machine to start the programs it needs to run.

If it's just a music machine...shut off the firewall, antivirus, and other "protective" programs. They do take up space & time to load. Just be sure to turn them on manually IF you connect to the net.

Be careful when you are on the net.... all those little "free" pop up offers, are loading all kind of crud on the system, and they usually set themselves up to start and run automatically......not a good thing.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1