Mastering at Home?

Author
JParenti
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
2008/12/24 00:13:55 (permalink)

Mastering at Home?

Hey!

So, I'm just finishing up a recording project and I'd like to have it mastered. But since I've done the rest of the production work myself, I think I might like to master in myself too. I have Sonar Home Studio Producer Edition and I try to crank up the volume and then compress the master files before I convert them to .wavs and I've been calling that 'mastering,' but I'd really like the finished files to be able to compete with the other songs on my iTunes.

Do you guys know of any good programs I can download that have a mastering function? I've been looking around for something, but have had trouble finding anything that looks really promising. I found a program called Amphiotik Synthesis that looks okay, but I haven't been able to find any specific customer reviews.

Thanks for any help folks!

16 Replies Related Threads

JParenti
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 00:16:51 (permalink)
    Oh, and I have Windows XP and about 20 gigs of free space on my computer, if that's at all pertinent.
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 07:02:57 (permalink)
    Do you guys know of any good programs I can download that have a mastering function? I've been looking around for something, but have had trouble finding anything that looks really promising. I found a program called Amphiotik Synthesis that looks okay, but I haven't been able to find any specific customer reviews.

A mastering function?? I master all my songs in sonar and so can you. Yuo just need to learn what how to master. Having or getting a program doesnt mean you can master. Mastering is an acquired art. No program will master for you.
    If you have sonar, and some dynamic controlled processing plugins and an EQ and some reverbs, well then, you can master using those and more. What you need to do is learn the tools you have. you also need some studio monitors and a room that is tuned. This helps in the mastering process. Your ears are the most important tool in mastering. Theres books on mastering. Yuo wont learn it in a day or 2. Ive been doing it for years and im still learning.
    Oh, and I have Windows XP and about 20 gigs of free space on my computer, if that's at all pertinent.

Get another hard drive. 20gigs is nothing.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 08:20:38 (permalink)
    have a look at the "Precision Mastering Demo" - video here:
    http://www.uaudio.com/products/software/precmax/index.html
    Pay attention to the way he uses the eq!

Those plugins alone are worth about a 1000USD without the hardware.., another cheaper and good alternative is Izotpoes Ozone 3 or "4"(?) which is about to be released.

Besides the right tools, you'll need a good mix to start with.. the better the mix the easier the mastering process..

you need some kind of spectrum analyzer that shows your frequencies from 20Hz to 20KHz..
    you need to compare your spectrum with that of a commercial, good sounding, CD.. try to match your mix(individual tracks) to that of the commercial spectrum..

the mid-frequencies are very important..
    use a hp and lp filter on your master out and have only the mids come through.. now listen closely to each instrument.. adjust each track until they sound even. Now disable the hp and lp-filters again..

and so on..

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 08:43:43 (permalink)
    Mastering at home...vs paying a pro to do it...... another age old question.

Can you do it at home? ......Depends .... on what you want to do with the song.

If you are recording it for friends and family, to post on the internet song sites, to sell at gigs, to send as a demo tune to music biz folks...you can probably do a decent job at home....and save the money.

If you're recording it to release commercially to radio stations, and maybe to get a record company interested..... get it done professionally..... unless you really know your stuff with mastering.... both of those entities know what "professional" sounds like, and if your song is not "pro".....it gets canned.

My thought is you're probably in the first group..... if so... you can go to the music store...(Sam Ash, Guitar Center, and the online stores too) and buy some "mastering software" to use.

I have Ozone 3 ( I hear 4 is coming soon) which I bought at GC for $200USD. I don't feel like spending lots of time learning all the details of operating the various components required to master a tune. So I use O3 which has many presets from which I start. I find that it saves alot of time....and I am learning about what each module does as I go along. Ozone does a decent job.

BTW: you can download a demo of O3 from their website. get it and try it.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/Ozone/download.asp

You can also decide to buy some more expensive products as well..... your choice.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2008/12/24 08:45:55

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 11:22:54 (permalink)
    Mastering - started as a way to get the sound onto a record.

Once the LP was developed about it also included some "sound" in the sense you wanted a coherent whole.

Now mastering means gettting it loud.

Mastering should only be the final sheen on a finished product, along with a little of the coherence (esp. if you have recorded in a lot of different places). If your mix is bad, there is not much Mastering can do. Mastering is like a varnish over painting.

So, for practical purposes. Get Voxengo's elephant limiter and Curve EQ if you want to spend some money and have some good tools. Apply these after you have finished your mixes. Both are nice and clean and precise. Ideally, you want to have the same setting across all the songs to be mastered for a project so they "sound" like a single production. Obviously, you might have to make some adjustments - if you are doing a heavy metal CD the obligitory ballad won't sound as loud as the rest. But if you have good mixes in a style you should be able to almost get away with the above techique. Curve will balance the frequency spectrum across the work, and elephant will raise the level of the songs to a similiar level. Presto - mastered.

Then take that file, trim it, convert to 16 bits/ 44.1 CD and print.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 12:13:29 (permalink)
    Check out Ozone. At least take a look at it. They offer a free evaluation. The program functions completely normal for 30 days (or something like that) and then it turns into a pumpkin

It comes with a ton of presets that seem geared towards just about any style of music. Plus it has that frequency copying routine where you can measure the curve of your favorite songs and apply them to your own mixes.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 12:28:14 (permalink)
    Do you guys know of any good programs I can download that have a mastering function?

You already have everything you need.

Everything except knowledge and experience, neither of which can be downloaded (although that would really be cool if you could!). Pick up a copy of the Bob Katz book "Mastering Audio", read it more than once, and then just plunge in.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Frank Haas
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 12:42:22 (permalink)
    Bit you don't mean the mastering.. science.. art.. do you ?
    bmdaustin
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1114
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 12:52:27 (permalink)
    Although you have plenty of tools at your disposal already, there is something to be said for another dispassionate set of ears evaluating your mix, and preferably in a high quality audio environment (as opposed to another bedroom, basement, etc.).

Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    http://www.bakersjazzandmore.com
    MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 15:30:21 (permalink)
    On the cheaper end of things but not free you can get IK Multimedia T-RackS Plug-In Mastering Software for $99 now as clearance. The newer version 3 has come out so they are blowing out the older version.

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/IK-Multimedia-TRackS-PlugIn-Mastering-Software-?sku=702379

For a free guide check out the Izotope "Mastering with Ozone" guide. Although written for Ozone it is applicable to the mastering process in general.

http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/ozone/guides.html
    post edited by MarlboroMan23 - 2008/12/24 15:36:05

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    pkev
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 21:27:47 (permalink)
    Hi there,

I'm sometimes tempted to put a 32 Band Graphic EQ on my mastering chain given that most of my EQ'ing for each track has already been done in mixing

http://tda.tention.org/index.php?cat=tdae&dest=eq2032

I just sometimes think that if your checking / analyzing the whole freq range in the mix then sweeping 8 - 10 bands or less might not be enough.

Obviously, you don't have to use them all but having fixed bands can have advantages as well!

The other plugs I'm evaluating at the moment are Stillwell's Rocket & Majortom (Compressors)

Just my 2 cents
    pkev

ASUS M2V Mobo, AMD 64, 3.6Ghz, 2 Gig Ram, 80 Gig HD, 160 GB Ext F/W Drive, Presonus FP 10 F/W Audio Interface, Yamaha Midi Interface, Reaper / Cubase SX3
    Limelight
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 87
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/24 21:50:35 (permalink)
    ozone 3 has pre sets that will do the job 4 you eeeezzzzzzzzzzzz

www.limelight.moonfruit.com
    JParenti
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/25 11:28:44 (permalink)
    Hey, thanks a lot for the input guys, I really appreciate it.

I'm definitely aware that mastering is something that takes years to learn and can't be downloaded or bought, I just didn't know if there were any specific programs that are better suited for it than others. I'll probably go ahead and download the Ozone 3 program just til I get the hang of it, and then check out some of the other stuff that's been brought up.

Thanks again!
    bitflipper
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/25 13:06:54 (permalink)
    Bit you don't mean the mastering.. science.. art.. do you ?

"Mastering Audio, the art and the Science" by Bob Katz.

Should be on every home recordist's bookshelf.

My Stuff
    Frank Haas
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/25 15:45:18 (permalink)
    well, it probably will stay there for the rest of..
    maybe I should read it again as you suggested.. but I doubt that there's any essential information for "me"..
    bitflipper
    RE: Mastering at Home? 2008/12/25 16:45:16 (permalink)
    Read it again. I was disappointed in it after the first read (not technical enough and too much emphasis on gear I'd never own). But I've now read it four times through over a three-year period. Each time I was surprised at how much more I got out of it.

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1