What should I buy?

Author
sunrisesunset
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2008/12/24 16:43:03 (permalink)

What should I buy?

Hi guys,

I'm considering purchasing some guitar amp modelling software.

I'm in a metal band; at the moment we're working on an album. Although I'm getting a decent recording of my amplifier using my condenser microphone, it seems that I could do with a better tone; I'd like my guitar recordings to be as close to studio quality as possible. However, I can't afford an expensive tube amplifier. Also, I like the flexibility of amp modelling software since it allows you to change your tone if the current one isn't satisfying.

I have tried the demos of Guitar Rig 3, Amplitube Metal and ReValver MKIII. Out of those three ReValver MKIII has impressed me the most. However, it's certainly not cheap; the lowest price for it that I have found on the internet is £166.37. When I think about spending that much money it makes me feel terrible, hahaha. I wonder whether it could be spent on more things that are just as useful. Then again, producing a near studio/studio quality album is what we're aiming for.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do? Would I be wasting my money? Is there anything that I should buy instead? This is the quality of recording I have achieved so far: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=575528. Check out "Climbing Mountains" which reflects maybe the best guitar recording we've done so far.

2 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: What should I buy? 2008/12/24 21:51:57 (permalink)
    I'm not a metal guitarist by any means .... but that recording was so distorted it was hard for me to hear clearly the "tone" of the guitars.

I use a mesa boogie for live playing.... I use a POD2 for all my studio stuff... and I have a VOX AD-30 for my church playing.....

I find that the POD gives a wide variety of sounds..... have you ever used one.... it's hardware..not software.... I recommend it highly.

The VOX has modeling for several amps.... and one of the sounds is nu-metal.... the VOX is a hybred amp.... tubes & Solid state..... I've never been a fan of SS ampls but I love the sound of this amp, and the price.....less than $250.

my 2 centavos

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: What should I buy? 2008/12/25 22:43:37 (permalink)
    you can get decent results with a POD. i think someone here was even saying it worked out alright for metal as it is kind of biased in the upper mids and highs a bit. while i am not a metal player the super-high gain stuff is the most convincing on the POD in my opinion. you also don't have the bother of extra latency since you'll need to do input monitoring (although some say the pod does have latency of its own, it's never bothered me).

- jack the ex-cynic
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1