Antares Harmony plug...

Author
Zuma
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 525
2008/12/25 10:04:54 (permalink)

Antares Harmony plug...

Just a shot in the dark but is anybody using this? I'm wondering if the results justify the price? I have a hardware harmonizer but it sucks turd and gives the old robot voice effect. I know about all the TC gear but it's out of my price range at the moment. This one is within my budget... the question is can it do what it claims?

http://zumajunction.bandcamp.com/

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

16 Replies Related Threads

maikii
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 03:02:40 (permalink)
    Another possibility--

Go to PGMusic.com and buy a sequencer called Powertracks, for I think $49. It comes with a software audio harmonizer from TC Helicon. I assume it's as good or better than the Antares one, but I don't know. Certainly much cheaper.

Actually Powertracks seems on the road to be discontinued, so pick it up while you can. PG has a new sequencer called RealBand, which looks better, also inexpensive, and has features of Band in a Box built in. However, from what I heard, RealBand does not have the TC Helicon harmonizer, present in Powertracks. So, you might want to pick up Powertracks, while it's still avalable.
    Zuma
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 10:12:34 (permalink)
    Alright. I will check it out. Thank you kindly, maikii.

"the bus came by and I got on that's when it all began. There was cowboy Neal at the wheel of a bus to never ever land."_

Zuma
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 10:49:40 (permalink)
    Well... now I have 7 sequencers...*shakes head and frowns*... you know, Cake needs a TC harmonizer plug bundled w/Sonar. PTracks is $49 for Christ sake and it has one??? I know you can accomplish the same thing with V-Vocal but the harmonizer plug seems to be less convoluted and simpler to use... course I haven't used the fekking thing yet and probably should shut my mouth until I do. Anyway, thank you for the heads up.

Silence Dogood
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 434
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 11:31:50 (permalink)
    yeah, BIAB has had that TC harmonizer for years! Unfortuntely, BIAB doesn't seem to have a "standalone" .dll for it, so I can't seem to link it (TC) into SONAR.
    post edited by Silence Dogood - 2008/12/26 11:32:36

If at first you don't succeed, keep sucking 'till you do succeed! ("Curly" Howard)
    CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 11:38:30 (permalink)
    Just a shot in the dark but is anybody using this? I'm wondering if the results justify the price?

I have and use them sometimes. What results are you expecting?? The way i use them, they perform great. My results justify the price. I really dotn and cant answer if they will for you
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Zuma
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 12:27:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

Just a shot in the dark but is anybody using this? I'm wondering if the results justify the price?

I have and use them sometimes. What results are you expecting?? The way i use them, they perform great. My results justify the price. I really dotn and cant answer if they will for you
    Cj

I was just hoping to avoid the robot voice effect that I hear when I used my hardware harmonizer(Acai). At the time I bought it I was looking to lay down some Crosby Stills & Nash like 3 part harmonies. It just didn't sound very human and I wasn't enough of a power user to dial the thing in the way Acai claimed you could. I can sing pretty good but was looking to save a little time and not have to sing three separate harmony tracks. But, if that's what it takes in the end, that's what I'll do.

Edit: I will play with V-vocal too and see which one does the job better. I'm ashamed I really haven't delved into V-Vocal that much, yet. But again, I'm not a power user as a lot of you guys are, so I have to proceed slowly and always guard against getting frustrated when I want to achieve something within Sonar that is beyond my current understanding and skill level.
    post edited by Zuma - 2008/12/26 12:35:09

dke
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 14:38:27 (permalink)
    If you can sing the parts yourself I can about guarantee you will like the results better than even the TC-Helicon units though they are better than the software harmonizers I've tried. If I still had the range neccessary for harmonies I'd gladly spend the little bit of time recording each take, than use my VoiceWorks. In the end you don't even save much time because getting everything dialed in takes time too. :) I haven't found V-Vocal to be very good for harmonies at all, you can get by if you bury it in the mix and don't try to go beyond a 3rd but that's my opinion on it.

Dan
    Tom Riggs
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1752
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 19:20:19 (permalink)
    IMHO You can go a lot more than a 3rd with V-Vocal and have a very natural sound.

What I have found it that the vocal needs to be hot enough for V-Vocal to properly sense the pitch and if you change the formant dial toward the middle so it does not modify the formant too much when it changes the pitch it will beging to sound much better.

Its not automatic or anything but if you take some time to get familiar with it it can do some good for you.

i7-3770k OC at 4.5Ghz, asus p8z77-m, 16g g.skill aries 1600 c9 ram, Noctua d-14 cooler, RME HDSPe Raydat, Motu FastLane, Nvidea GTX 980 ti 6G, windows 7 and 8.1 pro x64. Sonar Platinum and x3e currently installed

My Music 
    My YouTube

Oaf_Topik
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2105
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 19:33:47 (permalink)
    Sound On Sound December 2008 - reviewed Zplane Vielklang - Automatic Harmony Generation Software, and overall they liked it a lot. Here's a preview of that article: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec08/articles/vielklang.htm

CJaysMusic
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/26 23:20:05 (permalink)
    I was just hoping to avoid the robot voice effect that I hear when I used my hardware harmonizer(Acai

I dont get that effect, but you can get it with those plugs
    IMHO You can go a lot more than a 3rd with V-Vocal and have a very natural sound

Sure you can, but the Antares vocal plugs do different things than the v vocal. There different animals, if you know what i mean. I get great sounds and sound effects from the Antares plugs.
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    maikii
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/27 11:12:25 (permalink)

What is Voiceworks?

ORIGINAL: dke

If you can sing the parts yourself I can about guarantee you will like the results better than even the TC-Helicon units though they are better than the software harmonizers I've tried. If I still had the range neccessary for harmonies I'd gladly spend the little bit of time recording each take, than use my VoiceWorks. In the end you don't even save much time because getting everything dialed in takes time too. :) I haven't found V-Vocal to be very good for harmonies at all, you can get by if you bury it in the mix and don't try to go beyond a 3rd but that's my opinion on it.

Dan

dke
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 724
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/27 14:55:18 (permalink)
    Voiceworks is a hardware 4 voice Harmonizer made by TC-Helicon. It works pretty well, but real is still better. :)

Dan
    Wiz
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/27 19:04:09 (permalink)

I was just hoping to avoid the robot voice effect that I hear when I used my hardware harmonizer(Acai

I dont get that effect, but you can get it with those plugs
    IMHO You can go a lot more than a 3rd with V-Vocal and have a very natural sound

Sure you can, but the Antares vocal plugs do different things than the v vocal. There different animals, if you know what i mean. I get great sounds and sound effects from the Antares plugs.
    Cj

Hey CJ

do you have a particular song, that has a good example of the antares plugs in action, I would be interested in checking it out...

cheers

Wiz

Wiz's Album "Forty Years" done with Sonar 7!

http://www.ozlandmusic.com/ozlandstudios/Preview_music.html

Wiz On Itunes
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/27 20:36:27 (permalink)
    Wiz, Yea i do. One song is Called Alone. Another song is called Are you Gone and another is called the Dark Room
    There all in my signalture.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Wiz
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/27 20:38:42 (permalink)

Wiz, Yea i do. One song is Called Alone. Another song is called Are you Gone and another is called the Dark Room
    There all in my signalture.
    Cj

Cool...thanks CJ...will check them out..

cheers

Wiz

Wiz's Album "Forty Years" done with Sonar 7!

http://www.ozlandmusic.com/ozlandstudios/Preview_music.html

Wiz On Itunes
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Antares Harmony plug... 2008/12/27 20:39:55 (permalink)
    Coo, those songs where some of my first ones recorded in sonar..
    Cj

Audio Blog
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1