Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading

Author
Feedingjoey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 18
2008/12/27 16:11:52 (permalink)

Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading

Hi All, I just up graded to Studio 8. I previously had SHS4 & 6XL. The upgrade went great but I quickly realized my shortcomings in computing power. SO, I built a new Machine and installed SS8 on it. It runs Awesome But... Everything has been installed on a fresh new drive meaning that none of my previously installed synths are there. I want to utlize all the sysnths from my previous versions. For some I was able to just copy the folders from the old machine onto the new one but that didn't work in all cases. For inststance, How do I get DYAD installed in the new machine. I obviously copied the folders and all supporting files to the new machine but SS8 doesnt see it at all. So I assume I'm missing something. I also obviously DON'T want to have to install the previous versions of the software. I'm trying to keep this new machine clean and pristine for only making music. Can any one help?
Thanks

SS 8.3.1, i5 2500k 3.30GHz, 16Gb Ram, M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, Yamaha 01V96, Behringer ADA8000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 49, , Z3TA+, Dim Pro, OPX Pro, 2 Ibanez RG570's, Yamaha RGX-TT , Schecter Hellraiser C7, Fender Strat, Ibanez Artist, Line 6 Variax, Washburn Woodstock, Sigma, Rack-o-Guitar and synth Shizzle, EZ-Drummer a pair of Rocket 6's and a Partridge in a Porcupine Tree.

8 Replies Related Threads

kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2008/12/27 16:20:10 (permalink)
    Most VST plugins can be installed this way, but many commercial publishers require registry entries and some require services installed to support their copy protection schemes. With these kinds of plugins, you have to install.

The active x plugins also have to be installed. You can't just copy the folders. If you're using some from old Sonar versions, look for newer substitutes. Some of those synths are years old, and sound it. If you can't do without, some installers will let you install plugins and other utilities, without installing the main application. Load your install disk, choose the custom install, and see what your options are -- you can always bail out without installing a thing if you need to.

Finally, don't forget to run the plugin manager scanner when you've copied or installed your new/old plugins. You can then add them to a new plugin menu for use in Sonar.

--kwgm
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2008/12/27 19:27:16 (permalink)
    IF you have your old SHS disk you can do a custom install just for the DXI/Vsti's.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    RockStringBender
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 416
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2008/12/27 21:51:36 (permalink)
    Yeah, I wouldn't trust the drag and dropped versions as much as just inserting the older sonar cd and checking off only the synths and plugs that you want to keep using and clicking install. You do not need to check the older sonar version, just the perps that you want.

I have never did any copy of sonar or soft synth stuff like you did but I have tried to pull old software off of work PCs from the programs folder and they didn't exactly come along willingly (or complete)..

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
    Feedingjoey
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2008/12/29 00:34:45 (permalink)
    DUH!!!!! I should have looked to the install disks first.
    YOU GUYS ROCK! Thanks it worked like a charm!

SS 8.3.1, i5 2500k 3.30GHz, 16Gb Ram, M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, Yamaha 01V96, Behringer ADA8000, M-Audio Keystation Pro 88, E-MU X-Board 49, , Z3TA+, Dim Pro, OPX Pro, 2 Ibanez RG570's, Yamaha RGX-TT , Schecter Hellraiser C7, Fender Strat, Ibanez Artist, Line 6 Variax, Washburn Woodstock, Sigma, Rack-o-Guitar and synth Shizzle, EZ-Drummer a pair of Rocket 6's and a Partridge in a Porcupine Tree.
    mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2008/12/29 14:35:03 (permalink)
    One more thing, isn't DYAD a DXi? If so, you need to register it with the OS, but I never can remember the command to do that. Good thing you still have the old install disk...
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2008/12/29 16:25:30 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mumpcake

One more thing, isn't DYAD a DXi? If so, you need to register it with the OS, but I never can remember the command to do that. Good thing you still have the old install disk...

regsvr32 dllname
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2009/01/03 23:13:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: techead

ORIGINAL: mumpcake

regsvr32 dllname

Not quite. It's regsvr32 "path to the .dll". You must have the full path to the .dll, and you must have the quotation marks around the path.

ew
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    RE: Keeping old Soft Synths when Upgrading 2009/01/04 08:24:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ew

ORIGINAL: techead

regsvr32 dllname

Not quite. It's regsvr32 "path to the .dll". You must have the full path to the .dll, and you must have the quotation marks around the path.

You're being nitpicky, so here is the broader explanation. I displayed the basic info required to register a dll on the commandline as indicated by the regsvr32.exe help dialog box as shown below:

It does indeed work (I use it frequently on the commandline to resolve DLL registration issues on Windows for customers). In certain circumstances one does need to specify the full path to the DLL and/or include its path/name in quotes:

a) if the DLL is not in the current directory then the full path must be specified;
    b) if any part of the DLL name (or its path if not in current directory) contains spaces then the name/path must be enclosed in quotes;

However, if the DLL file is in the current directory and does not contain spaces then the full path and quotes are not needed. This is typical behavior for most command-line tools on Windows.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1