A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...)

Author
variaxman
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 596
2008/12/31 12:28:14 (permalink)

A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking advantage of vacation time and been developing some new tunes.
This one marks my debut on keyboards...The bass player in my band has a old Ensoniq synth that he let me mess with....probably hasn't been played in 15 years...cleaned it up, taped the note names above the keyboard , and let er rip.....was difficult mixing with the synth and guitars...here is what I came up with:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7193380&q=hi
post edited by variaxman - 2008/12/31 13:08:30

13 Replies Related Threads

lhansen
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4765
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 13:06:45 (permalink)
    I stopped in to give this a listen because I feel sinister today... I hear nothing wrong with keyboard skills, tho I was waiting for some sort of ELP solo!! Good song man and i love your creative spirit!!

Slow Marching Band

Win 7 x64, Sonar X1E x64, Studio One v2, Focusrite Saffire 24 DSP Pro, Genelec 8030a, True Systems P-Solo, Focusrite ISA One, FMR RNP, GAP-73. 

"Someone to watch over me".
    robby
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5819
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 13:14:01 (permalink)
    LOL! Not what I expected, but it was fun, kinda like the B52s meet Ian Durry and the Blockheads :-)

I like that chick vocal, nice touch and she had a nice voice. And the guitars are having a party in this one. Good mosh pit fodder.

==================
    It is better to travel well than to arrive.

www.reverbnation.com/rockinrobby
    variaxman
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 13:19:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lhansen

I stopped in to give this a listen because I feel sinister today... I hear nothing wrong with keyboard skills, tho I was waiting for some sort of ELP solo!! Good song man and i love your creative spirit!!

Ha, yeah Keith Emerson is just a little beyond my skills..maybe Rick Wakeman?
    I actually indexed fingered evreything and had to do this to the keybaord to work with it:

variaxman
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 13:20:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: robby

LOL! Not what I expected, but it was fun, kinda like the B52s meet Ian Durry and the Blockheads :-)

I like that chick vocal, nice touch and she had a nice voice. And the guitars are having a party in this one. Good mosh pit fodder.

Hey thanks Robby! Big fan of early B-52's...actually no chick on vocals...all me just trying to make my voice weird, so I guess it worked...Thanks for the listen, appreciate your comments!
    rockyrose
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 13:33:07 (permalink)
    Great tune! kind of a retro feel to it. Also checked out some of your cover songs, very cool mix of songs. Cowboy song and spread your wings are 2 of my fovorite songs ever. I was wondering how the singer on s.y.f was gonna handle "sammy boy dont you know who you are" LOL!! kudos to him, that songs a b**ch to sing!! I dont see how a mortal could hit that without using a falsetto, Freddie was a great one.
    Richard
    variaxman
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 13:43:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: rockyrose

Great tune! kind of a retro feel to it. Also checked out some of your cover songs, very cool mix of songs. Cowboy song and spread your wings are 2 of my fovorite songs ever. I was wondering how the singer on s.y.f was gonna handle "sammy boy dont you know who you are" LOL!! kudos to him, that songs a b**ch to sing!! I dont see how a mortal could hit that without using a falsetto, Freddie was a great one.
    Richard

Thanks so much Richard, The Queen cover was a online collab I did with a musician I met on another forum...he did the vocals, and I did the rest..it's also one of my favroite songs by my favorite band...The Cowboy Song is a live recording of my cover band that plays out once a month....we just have fun trying to play tunes that arent beaten to death in the bars
    Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 18:30:51 (permalink)
    Not my genre ... (note my disclaimer)

Hyper-compressed ... I slammed the volume down twice ... backing vocals drown worse, thus. Sex-pist'ls and Ramones aren't this compressed! Suddenly everything is half the volume it could have been! (Hence radios-TVs would destroy this with their hyper-compression).

"Its a sinister" hook is a bit incoherent (tongue speaking?) and alien for me ... but, methinks, effective propaganda, especially for punkers and Brits ... who relish sarcasms.

Guitar is so beautiful at 1:30-ish that it actually redeems the Alice-Cooper droid a bit.

If the hook and compression were realistic or less-sarcastic, I'd like this more. There's a lot of talent ... overwhelmed by vanity and loudness-wars, to my ears. Albeit, its good enough not to change it

IOWs, I look forward to your next piece!

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    Mamabear
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8954
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2008/12/31 23:35:16 (permalink)
    That was a fun listen! :-)

I won't let my piano students tape the notes on the piano, but it would certainly help some of them!

Now if only guitars had black and white notes, maybe I could learn to play one! Or I guess I could tape the notes to one. hmm... great idea!
    variaxman
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2009/01/02 08:48:59 (permalink)
    Philip: Not my genre ... (note my disclaimer)
    Hyper-compressed ... I slammed the volume down twice ... backing vocals drown worse, thus. Sex-pist'ls and Ramones aren't this compressed! Suddenly everything is half the volume it could have been! (Hence radios-TVs would destroy this with their hyper-compression).
    "Its a sinister" hook is a bit incoherent (tongue speaking?) and alien for me ... but, methinks, effective propaganda, especially for punkers and Brits ... who relish sarcasms.
    Guitar is so beautiful at 1:30-ish that it actually redeems the Alice-Cooper droid a bit.
    If the hook and compression were realistic or less-sarcastic, I'd like this more. There's a lot of talent ... overwhelmed by vanity and loudness-wars, to my ears. Albeit, its good enough not to change it
    IOWs, I look forward to your next piece!

After listening to this on a few systems, I totally agree about the compression...just a bit over the top eh? Bleh! I will be addressing that upon remixing...will work on making the vocals more cohernt as well...I think I didn't use my ears to this well and went formula with what worked on my last song...Thanks for the listen and feedback...

Mamabear : That was a fun listen! :-)
    I won't let my piano students tape the notes on the piano, but it would certainly help some of them!
    Now if only guitars had black and white notes, maybe I could learn to play one! Or I guess I could tape the notes to one. hmm... great idea!

Thanks Mamabear..I didn't know any other way witth the key's....never played before, or even entertained the thought...strictly a guitar guy...although I'm really excited about all the new sounds/noises I can now make on my goofball tunes ...
    Thanks for listening!
    variaxman
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2009/01/02 12:52:43 (permalink)
    Worked on this one a while today....tried to give the overall mix some more air/less compressed overall sound. Also wanted the bass guitar and synths a little more visible in the mix.

The link at the top of the thread plays the new mix as will this:
    A Sinister Dessert...(Quivering Mass)
    variaxman
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2009/01/04 08:40:47 (permalink)
    Ok, one more shot at this one...I think I have the keyboards mixed in nicley now, as well as a easier overall sound on the ears...not so cpmpressed....anyways here is a link to my last, and probably final mix, for those who may have followed along:
    A Sinister Dessert! (Quivering Mass...)
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2009/01/04 08:47:24 (permalink)
    Excellent! A threatening pudding!

Sounds great to me Gene, very Zappa/Tubes ish, guitars are perfect, as are the 'Flo and Eddie' backing vocs

No crits from me, mix sounds spot-on. Hit!

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    variaxman
    RE: A Sinister Dessert (Quivering Mass...) 2009/01/04 08:50:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Excellent! A threatening pudding!

Sounds great to me Gene, very Zappa/Tubes ish, guitars are perfect, as are the 'Flo and Eddie' backing vocs

No crits from me, mix sounds spot-on. Hit!

Hey thanks James! Zappa/Tubes ish....I'll take that ...Man, the Tubes are one of those great great bands from yesterday I haven't listened to in ages...have to dig some of there stuff out now!
    This has been a real fun one for me to work on,and the synth has kinda inspired me to try diffrent stuff...
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1