Suffering

Author
Spinedoc
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 574
2009/01/01 12:11:12 (permalink)

Suffering

Have not posted a song in a long time and would like to hear some feedback on this Alice in chains type song, particularly on the mix. Thnaks for any thoughts...

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5331406245d5246a/

6 Replies Related Threads

mgh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8594
    RE: Suffering 2009/01/01 19:12:14 (permalink)
    so welcome back then!
    nice guitar tone, a touch over-saturated in places and distorting, nice riffs in there, the change-down to the clean guitar is great. drums are well programmed, if a touch lost in all the guitar-dom. so needs more oomph and clarity to the drums,. so we can hear the kick, and back off the distortion on the guitars a tad. the song is cool, a bit hyperactive in how it changes verses/parts, but you clearly have a great imagination. i guess the mp3 cnversion isn't doing you too many favours.

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    tcaylor
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 701
    RE: Suffering 2009/01/01 22:51:42 (permalink)
    I liked this song too, I agree with Mark's assessment of bringing the drums up and maybe dropping the guitars back (not much though). I also like the change to the clean guitar sound. It sounds like the solo is too weak too me and coming predominantly out of the right side of the stereo image.

Still a great rockin' tune.

Tom

My Soundclick Page

Sonar Platinum, AMD FX-4100 Quad Core, 8GB RAM, Win 7, RME Fireface USB, UA LA-610, Dynaudio BM 5A monitors, G&L Asat Classic, Peavy Wolfgang, 1990 Strat Ultra, Alvarez PD-80SC Acoustic
    jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    RE: Suffering 2009/01/02 00:07:53 (permalink)
    Cool tune.

The two measure acoustic break before the chorus could use some presence to it.
    +1 on adding some balls to the drums...
    howieizme
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    RE: Suffering 2009/01/02 01:04:42 (permalink)
    I like this song a lot. It needs a big fat bass line behind it. If it's there I can't hear it well enough. The hi hat needs to be pulled back for my tastes. +2 on adding some more balls to the drums. The first vocal piece is a little too wet with effects. I'd like to hear your voice a little more during that first section of the song. Also the rythem guitar tone is a little dry, it could use a small amount of delay or something to kinda round things out and fill it up a bit. Nice guitar leads. I like how you switch the song up in the middle, it works well but you might rethink the drum transition to bring the two pieces together better. I typically only have this many notes for music that I actually like, this I actually like. Nice job. You have song writing talent, which is hard to come by, keep it up.

Mike,

"DAW's make you fat".

Chazdaddy
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 215
    RE: Suffering 2009/01/02 03:38:52 (permalink)
    Hey this is pretty cool, reminds me in parts of Type O Negative too, especially the heavy plodding bass and guitars. I think the drums could be punchier maybe too, would probably make it rock even more and provide some more clarity to the parts. It does seem like the song is suffering from MP3 compression or something perhaps to my ears also.

Cool tune, thanks for sharing
    cjlinus
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: Suffering 2009/01/02 08:05:42 (permalink)
    Well, since it's been a long time since you put a song up I gues it's only fitting that this is my first review in a long time as well. I have to agree that the drums need some low end to push them through. I'm wondring though if it's just that your mixing on a system that hypes the low end and it's making you back off the bass. It could be that the MP3 conversion plays in as well. Anyway, push the bass up or bring the bass guitar and bass drum up a little. I like your guitar sound because I think I know what you were going for and I think you pulled the tones off well. Great job on the writing and the overall production!

When I was a kid we had to use Portastudios, uphill! both ways!!

Listen to my songs here
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1