What do you think about the itunes changes?

Author
ara
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
2009/01/07 14:01:10 (permalink)

What do you think about the itunes changes?

this new forum would seem to be the perfect avenue to whet my curiousity about the latest itunes changes namely new price points and elimination of DRM? What do you guys think? I've always hated the fact that .99 was the defacto value for a song because Steve Jobs said so. When I finish a song I feel its worth $1000...(I know no one else agrees!) so I was happy to see that songs will be offered at 1.39. As for the other issue, I probably won't sell a lot, or any, volume so how does the independent artist get protection? Cheers, Ara www.aratunes.us

3 Replies Related Threads

Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: What do you think about the itunes changes? 2009/01/07 14:16:45 (permalink)
    I herald the de-DRMing of iTunes myself. It's a good move for the music industry. Apple has blazed a big path with iTunes, and recording companies almost derailed it with the DRM demand. Amazon probably also brought pressure to bear on iTunes with their protection free music. I don't know how much though since the music selection wasn't very deep as compared to iTunes.

Regarding the Price points I don't think much about it. My opinion is that music is a premium luxury item that should be regulated by market demand economics; tendered by musicians sense of giving value to the consumer.
    I also think that these days with so many sources for great music that a single outlet like iTunes no longer has the muscle to dictate pricing across the board. If there pricing is too high or doesn't jive with the customers, they will quickly lose market share.

I do wonder if iTunes is going to offer high end bit rates for more. Anyone know if they are?
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: What do you think about the itunes changes? 2009/01/07 14:56:50 (permalink)
    they only did it because others don't have DRM on their things... then use it as a PR stunt.. classic apple.. it'll reduce the cost also.

me, I never much cared for DRM.. if someone is gonna buy your music they will regardless, if they aren't.. they won't.

If someone is decent enough to buy 1 copy of my work, thats fair enough.. why should they be forced to buy another disc / mp3 or whatever if they want to have the same thing in the car etc? .. I don't mind..as long as it's obviously not shared with 1000's of others..

people will buy into the music if they like it enough.. Nate although they may not have the muscle in one area BUT they bought universal music AND all their back catalog..so they do have a lot of muscle still.. my friends were on a label that was independent that was bought up by universal, and apple etc.. they didn't like it... so have put their work out on their own label.

post edited by Fog - 2009/01/07 16:01:15
    Boogie
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2106
    RE: What do you think about the itunes changes? 2009/01/07 23:58:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

they only did it because others don't have DRM on their things... then use it as a PR stunt.. classic apple..

Not so. It was the record labels that required DRM for iTunes songs, not Apple. Then again, if Jobs had conceded and allowed flexible pricing the labels may have caved much sooner and dropped DRM.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1