Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac

Author
RTB
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4
2009/01/07 15:17:14 (permalink)

Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac

Ok i moved my DIM PRO multisamples library from external hard drive to another external hard with the same name but it can't find the
multisamples folder. I've searched the internet and this forum but have found no answer. First of all what do i have to do? and
second of all why hasn't Cakewalk made a solution to this readily available? since it is common sense that an 8 GB
library may want to be moved to external storage. I am on a Mac. Thanks!

7 Replies Related Threads

chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac 2009/01/07 15:59:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: RTB

Ok i moved my DIM PRO multisamples library from external hard drive to another external hard with the same name but it can't find the
    multisamples folder. I've searched the internet and this forum but have found no answer. First of all what do i have to do? and
    second of all why hasn't Cakewalk made a solution to this readily available? since it is common sense that an 8 GB
    library may want to be moved to external storage. I am on a Mac. Thanks!

Easiest way to do this is to re-install and select 'Custom' under installation type. Then the installer will ask you where to install the Multisamples and you can choose an external HD.

Or you can edit Dimension Pro's preference file.

On a MAC Dimension Pro will locate the Multisamples folder according to the directory within Dimension Pro's property list file. You will need an xml reader, or property list editor application to open this file. One is included with developer tools on the OSX disc included with your computer, or you can also find 3rd party editors to download.

Dimension Pro's plist file is located here:

/hd/library/preference/com.cakewalk.Dimension Pro.plist

Inside this file there is a string titled "Multisamples Folder" and it's value should point to the folder in which your Multisamples folder is located.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac 2009/01/07 16:46:35 (permalink)
    I agree that Cake should adopt the kind of solution that Native Instruments (with Battery, at least) and IK Multimedia have, where the plugin preferences allow you to set your samples directory when/if you move them from the default installation location.

That said, one thing you said puzzles me a little:
    multisamples folder.

I've moved my samples for Dim Pro on Mac several times, and never had an issue if the new drive had the EXACT same name as the previous one, and the multisamples directory path was identical, and I didn't have more than one hard drive with the same name.

For example, if I get a new drive and my old install location was:
    /Volumes/Samples/Cakewalk/Dimension/Multisamples

I'll rename the old drive something like /Volumes/Samples-old, then give the new drive the name /Volumes/Samples. I'll then copy the full samples directory path over (Cakewalk/Dimension/Multisamples). After this, I'll reboot so that Mac will "unmount" the drives and "remount" the drives (don't have to do this, but I prefer to).

Make sure you're renaming the old drive so you don't have two hard drives with the same name, and then make sure the new drives name and path to the multisamples directory is identical, and it "should" work ("should" being the clincher... computers and all ).

If it doesn't work, then either reinstall or edit the plist file.

Good luck,
    - zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/01/07 16:52:43
    RTB
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac 2009/01/07 17:57:02 (permalink)
    thanks! did what you said inmazevo - works perfectly!
    post edited by RTB - 2009/01/07 18:43:39
    inmazevo
    RE: Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac 2009/01/07 18:57:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RTB
    thanks! did what you said inmazevo - works perfectly!

Excellent!!!
    Glad I did something right today. I've made so many mistakes at work as to be laughable (though my boss isn't laughing).

Of course, studio stuff is FAR more important that work.

- zevo
    mudgel
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12010
    RE: Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac 2009/01/08 01:15:20 (permalink)
    In windows its a simple as a registry edit to point to the location of the Multisample files

Mike V. (MUDGEL)

STUDIO: Win 10 Pro x64, SPlat & CbB x64,
    PC: ASUS Z370-A, INTEL i7 8700k, 32GIG DDR4 2400, OC 4.7Ghz.
    Storage: 7 TB SATA III, 750GiG SSD & Samsung 500 Gig 960 EVO NVMe M.2.
    Monitors: Adam A7X, JBL 10” Sub.
    Audio I/O & DSP Server: DIGIGRID IOS & IOX.
    Screen: Raven MTi + 43" HD 4K TV Monitor.
    Keyboard Controller: Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol S88.
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac 2009/01/08 10:32:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

I agree that Cake should adopt the kind of solution that Native Instruments (with Battery, at least) and IK Multimedia have, where the plugin preferences allow you to set your samples directory when/if you move them from the default installation location.

+1 Yeah. I hope that the new synths from Cakewalk will adopt some form of library preferences within the synth's UI. Makes it easy.
    inmazevo
    RE: Moving DIM Pro library to external hard drive on Mac 2009/01/08 12:09:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chad
    ORIGINAL: inmazevo

+1 Yeah. I hope that the new synths from Cakewalk will adopt some form of library preferences within the synth's UI. Makes it easy.

It's funny. In almost every way, Dim Pro and Rapture feel "done" to me, except for two areas:
    - the multisamples as a preference bit with Dim Pro (don't really need this with Rapture, since it's library is so small)
    - the goofy little popup window for patch selection... I can't stand that thing. It doesn't behave the same way exactly between the Mac and Windows versions, and feels sort of tacked on. This is another area where NI and IK got it right... it's integrated and searchable and (with NI, at least) it's taggable. It's a beautiful solution to patch management. You CAN organize your patches in Dim Pro and Rapture, and I have mine set up differently than the default config, but it's done by going down to the file system and moving folders and files around.

I'm not complaining. They're stellar instruments (Dim Pro and Rapture) and nothing could make me part with either of them, as they're used in every track I've done since I got them, which I can't say about anything else other than Stylus RMX.

But I would hope that they continue to get improvements over time, and I don't mind paying for a 1.5 version of each (hint, hint: Cake).

Take care,
    - zevo
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1