Craigslist Musician Flaming

Author
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
2009/01/09 14:23:54 (permalink)

Craigslist Musician Flaming

I don't know how common this is, but it's been on my mind for a long time and I feel the need to vent (Yay CoffeeHouse!!!). The Musician's section in our local craigslist (Sacramento) has become overrun by a bunch of idiots who just want to bash each other. Granted, most of their posts get flagged and removed within a short time, but I can't believe how childish and hateful this music "community" (used very loosely) is toward each other. I've never seen anything like it. Where I come from (East Lansing, Michigan), the musicians all pretty much knew each other and were generally very supportive of each other. But, as soon as I moved to Sacramento 7 years ago, I immediately noticed that, aside from not really having a "scene", the musicians all generally seem to hate each other and now they've pretty much ruined what should be an excellent resource for bringing the music community together. How widespread is this? Is it just here? Is it just me? Is it a sign of the times? Am I just too old?

BTW, you can see a few of them here, although the majority of them have already been removed. But, believe me, you don't need to wait very long for new ones to appear.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/muc/

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

17 Replies Related Threads

inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 15:15:26 (permalink)
    Strange.
    Are people using craigslist like a forum or something?

It's not really meant to be a message-board, is it?

- zevo
    cryophonik
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 15:29:55 (permalink)
    Yeah, they use it just like a message board, even though they have to go through the hoops of posting the ad, receiving an email reply, and confirming the ad. All that just to reply to someone else's ad looking for other musicians, so that someone can tell everybody else that they think the original poster sucks or whatever. Then, everybody piles on. It's ridiculous.

LanceJ
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 15:32:31 (permalink)
    In Wichita, Kansas (its the state between Nebraska, Oklahoma, Missouri, and Colorado) all the musicians seem to know each other.

It is not uncommon for many bands to play their gigs and end up at someone's house in the wee morning to continue socializing and playing. Many, as might be expected, have studios.

When bands are in a pinch due to someone departing, getting sick, or conflicts in schedules other bands try to help fill the vacancy.

It is a good town for this.

Lance
    henkejs
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 489
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 15:49:43 (permalink)
    Haven't seen anything like that on craigslist around here -- that kind of juvenile behavior would really get tiresome. Just another reminder of how a small number of jerks can ruin things for everyone else.

A few of my songs

SONAR Platinum, Cakewalk by BandLab, Windows 10, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6.
    Truckermusic
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1924
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 15:57:48 (permalink)
    This is why I really love this board........

Cliff

http://www.soundclick.com/cliffordamundsen 
    NZXT Phantom Case (in Black)
    Windows 7, Service Pack 1, 64 Bit OP
    Sonar X3 Producer, 64 Bit 
    Asus P8P67 Pro Rev.3 MoBo
    16 Gig of Ram 
    4.5 Gighz
    Intel i-7 2600k Quad Core Sandy Bridge
    Unibrain Firewire Card
    Edirol FA-101 Firewire interface
    Mackie Big Knob
    NI Komplete 8
    Machine 2
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 16:03:47 (permalink)
    It's been sad, watching Craig's List devolve into a sleazy back alley of the internet.

It was - and still is - such a good idea, providing a place for free classified ads. Being free, it's possible to offer $5 items for sale, giveaways ("free couch, U haul it") or cashless trades.

But we've seen an explosion of scams to the point where people are beginning to abandon it altogether. Recently, somebody posted an invitation for free furniture. Just take what you want, it said, and gave the address. Problem was, it wasn't the poster's house - the owner was simply out of town.

Since I only cruise CL for musical instruments and recording gear, I was unaware of the phenomenon you describe. So I checked my local CL > musicians, but no such postings could be found here in the Seattle area.

There were interesting posts ("seeking fun, weird female singer for demented pop project") and the usual pathetic posts ("wanted: drummer, bass player, guitarist, keyboard player and vocalist for new band"). But nothing particularly inflammatory. Maybe it's just a small group of people who are responsible for those annoying posts?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    LeeNeitzelMusic
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 16:41:47 (permalink)
    yea....ive seen a lot of that here in charlotte as well. we are frantically looking for someone on keyboard/synth right now. so we are posting damn near every other day. so ive seen a ton of this ripping on each other or some random club.

sidenote: has anyone ever had any success finding musicians with it?
    inmazevo
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 16:56:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper
    "wanted: drummer, bass player, guitarist, keyboard player and vocalist for new band"

Hahaha!!!
    That made me laugh.

- zevo
    inmazevo
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 16:57:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: LeeNeitzelMusic
    yea....ive seen a lot of that here in charlotte as well. we are frantically looking for someone on keyboard/synth right now. so we are posting damn near every other day. so ive seen a ton of this ripping on each other or some random club.

I used to live in Charlotte.
    Don't have any keyboardist recommendations, though...

Do you guys play out?
    Where?

- zevo
    Ron Vogel
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 17:15:48 (permalink)
    Craigslist is a joke. It's full of ads you get no reply from when you send an email on it, or if you place an ad you get 20 responses-10 actual calls-5 people saying they are coming over to pick up-and never show. In 2 years I sold one thing on it. The lowballing on items is insulting too. If I need to sell something, it goes on ebay.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    cryophonik
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 18:03:11 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ron Vogel

Craigslist is a joke. It's full of ads you get no reply from when you send an email on it, or if you place an ad you get 20 responses-10 actual calls-5 people saying they are coming over to pick up-and never show. In 2 years I sold one thing on it. The lowballing on items is insulting too. If I need to sell something, it goes on ebay.

I've actually had very good luck selling and buying on craigslist. I prefer eBay for selling (usually more money) and buying (better selection), but I've found some good deals locally and I will often put an item for sale on CL before eBay, especially if it is large, bulky, and/or otherwise expensive and difficult to ship. But, I have found that I really need to be very specific about condition, provide very good information/detailed photos, and my asking price. I also tend to use the same standard bit of default text that clearly indicates things like "serious buyers only, price is firm, the item is priced to sell, so don't waste my time with offers, if it doesn't sell locally within a few days, it's going on eBay", blah, blah, blah. It actually works pretty well for me and tends to keep the scammers and tirekickers away.

Now, finding musicians on craigslist is another story. I actually found the two singers that I currently work with, as well as some others that I previously worked with, through craigslist. But, I had to deal with countless flakes and wannabes in the process. Same story though, I place ads that describe in very good detail exactly what I'm looking for and what I'm not looking for in a singer and I always stress that reliability, professionalism, and the ability to communicate with other humans is a prerequisite, but the flakes still keep coming. That's why I refer to it as "flakeslist."

ricstudioc
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 18:10:59 (permalink)
    Oh, don't know about that. From the local craigslist since fall of last year I've picked up my 145 Leslie, a decent hard case for my VK-7, and my day-after-Christmas-present to myself, an Alesis Ion in immaculate shape. Oh, and a spare Roland-ready Strat to back up my current one. All for really good prices.

Posting a Godin XTSA of mine, I got several serious replies - but since I wasn't willing to budge at all on my asking (not an inch, sorry) it hasn't sold yet.

As to the Musicians listings - yeah, sad to say that the local one can get pretty juvenile. But then, I only read them for the amusement factor anyway......

Ric
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 22:40:59 (permalink)
    ("wanted: drummer, bass player, guitarist, keyboard player and vocalist for new band")

You know here in LA it's hard to find that perfect tambourine player. Apparently, (s()he moved to Seattle.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/09 22:46:55 (permalink)
    LMAO!

LeeNeitzelMusic
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 84
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/11 19:05:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: inmazevo

ORIGINAL: LeeNeitzelMusic

I used to live in Charlotte.
    Don't have any keyboardist recommendations, though...

Do you guys play out?
    Where?

- zevo

The Muse, mainly. But occasionally Milestone and the Visulite.

This town has really grown on me. :-D
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/16 22:50:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: cryophonik

I don't know how common this is, but it's been on my mind for a long time and I feel the need to vent (Yay CoffeeHouse!!!). The Musician's section in our local craigslist (Sacramento) has become overrun by a bunch of idiots who just want to bash each other. Granted, most of their posts get flagged and removed within a short time, but I can't believe how childish and hateful this music "community" (used very loosely) is toward each other. I've never seen anything like it. Where I come from (East Lansing, Michigan), the musicians all pretty much knew each other and were generally very supportive of each other. But, as soon as I moved to Sacramento 7 years ago, I immediately noticed that, aside from not really having a "scene", the musicians all generally seem to hate each other and now they've pretty much ruined what should be an excellent resource for bringing the music community together. How widespread is this? Is it just here? Is it just me? Is it a sign of the times? Am I just too old?

BTW, you can see a few of them here, although the majority of them have already been removed. But, believe me, you don't need to wait very long for new ones to appear.

Same in Denver, and I imagine, all over.

The anonymity of the web puts people on their worst behavior, as there's no age requirement or intelligence test required to sign up.

--kwgm
    cryophonik
    RE: Craigslist Musician Flaming 2009/01/22 13:36:32 (permalink)
    The latest "DJ Loot" postings are perfect examples of what I'm talking about - this is getting ridiculous:

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1