Maybe now I can retire all my Software

Author
DonM
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4129
2009/01/10 09:18:24 (permalink)

Maybe now I can retire all my Software

Did you guys (and gals) see This?

Micorsoft's songsmith - put a fork in your eye before you watch it - it will reduce the pain.

-D

14 Replies Related Threads

Dave Modisette
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/10 09:35:51 (permalink)
    Did anyone notice the Autotune artifacts? I wonder if MS knows how to deal with quarter tones?

I guess Soundclick will have a bunch of new users.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/10 09:37:26 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DonM

Did you guys (and gals) see This?

Micorsoft's songsmith - put a fork in your eye before you watch it - it will reduce the pain.

-D

Hi Don,

You need to acquaint yourself with the new forum layout. This discussion has been going on in the... ... ... Coffee House!

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1598080

GK
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/10 10:04:02 (permalink)
    I sit corrected

The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/10 10:24:38 (permalink)
    And that is exactly the problem with segregated conversations and segregated settings for conversations.

No chance for unanticipated cross pollination of ideas.

The premise that we should not speak out of turn in a certain environment because someone thinks it's unsuitable is the very reason we should continue to say what ever we want where ever we want.

Something about growing up in the U.S.A. I guess.

Segregation is bad policy.

best regards,
    mike

makinson1
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/10 11:29:12 (permalink)
    Freedom of speech? I know you lose it when you enter the workplace, just like your 13th amendment rights. Now you lose them if you join a Forum? Sounds Un-American to me too.

Now that Bill is retired, doing "Charity" work, making the Third World safe for PCs, I was able to get him on his cell to get the skinny on this MySong app. Here's his reply, and I quote, "Oh yah, Mellisa thinks she can sing (Didn't you ever see citizen kane!!) so I started the project before I left MicroSoft. Our first stage requires "reverse engineering" the code inside Cakewalk and ProTools. That was problematic since we don't really have that many people left who can actually write C++ code. I suggested using the Cocoa app inside the Apple's Tiger OS. That's when they suggested that I gracefully step down. So we just rearranged a bunch of APIs and other software junk I really don't understand too well. And waalaah! MySong! Like the name? That was my idea. It's like MySpace. Software for idiot's."
    "Well Bill, I'm a little speechless. That's a new all time low. Even for you. just to clarify: Reverse Engineer. isn't that called stealing?"
    Click.
    Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/10 15:43:09 (permalink)
    I downloaded Songsmith yesterday and spent a fair amount of time using it. I found it interesting and fun and, most of all, useful, or at least potentially so. Especially if some of the limitations are eliminated and some new features implemented... options made available... that kind of thing... nothing too radical... just a bit more than what's there right now.

But its simplicity is part of its appeal. There's practically nothing to it. No distractions. No operational or conceptual overhead.

It would make an excellent scratch pad for rapid-sketching melody-based songs or improvising new song ideas. It's kinda like working with someone plays unusual or unexpected chords just because she feels like it. Or like when you don't quite remember or are trying to anticipate what the chords to a new song are. There's a somewhat dyslexic quality to the experience. Accidents and other odd collisions happen. I think that's good!

It exports to MIDI and wav files. But export is one area it needs some enhancement. The range of alternate chords being the other and much more important thing they need to address.

I can definitely see buying it for $29 -- that's one-tenth the cost of MasterWriter!!!

Go ahead. Try it. It won't bite! It might even make you smile.
    wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/11 17:42:57 (permalink)
    For those that don't quite date back to the days of the Commodore Amiga this is likely a port/update of an Amiga program called SuperJam, which was (I think) ported to Windows 3 back in the day.

It's a pretty clever tool, but no, it won't compose music for you<G>...

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    cram1960
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 149
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/13 14:46:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: makinson1

Freedom of speech? I know you lose it when you enter the workplace, just like your 13th amendment rights. Now you lose them if you join a Forum? Sounds Un-American to me too.

The First Amendment to the US Constitution only tells what Congress cannot do.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. "

Through interpretation this has devolved to the States, but does not prohibit private entities, in any way.

"Be the hammer, not the nail" - Ray Lewis

mumpcake
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/13 17:08:37 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wst3

For those that don't quite date back to the days of the Commodore Amiga this is likely a port/update of an Amiga program called SuperJam, which was (I think) ported to Windows 3 back in the day.

The about page says:

Songsmith includes thirty musical styles, from Rock to Hip-Hop to Country to Jazz. We’ve tried to span the landscape of musical styles so you can explore a variety of songs, and so a wide variety of folks can enjoy Songsmith. And if you want even more breadth, we've partnered with PG Music – makers of Band-in-a-Box – to allow you to expand your collection of styles by purchasing more styles from PG Music.

... so it looks like it borrows heavily from BIAB.
    post edited by mumpcake - 2009/01/13 17:15:14
    i8ipop
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 568
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/22 02:37:02 (permalink)
    For those that don't quite date back to the days of the Commodore Amiga this is likely a port/update of an Amiga program called SuperJam

I had an Amiga 500 back in the day with dynamic drums on it...ahhhh memories!

Still raining...still dreaming!
    Anubis
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1059
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/25 11:20:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

...The premise that we should not speak out of turn in a certain environment because someone thinks it's unsuitable is the very reason we should continue to say what ever we want where ever we want...

Right on point. Let the expletives fly!

X2Studio_Win7(64)_SamsungChronos_QuNexus_QuNeo_Axiom25_Saffire24Pro_Saffire6USB_EdirolPCR300_Nocturn
    Amplitubes_AmpegSVX_StylusRMX_SampleTank/Tron_Komplete7_AddictiveDrums_TRacks3_Wavelab6
    miTunes
    dstrenz
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1067
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/25 22:04:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wst3

It's a pretty clever tool, but no, it won't compose music for you<G>...

Yes it was ported to Windows and I happened upon my copy while cleaning out a closet the other day. It was a pretty fun program for the time.

Some of My Stuff
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/27 07:35:42 (permalink)
    Someone took the raw David Lee Roth vocals from "Runnin' with the Devil" and plugged them into Songsmith. Hear the results: http://music.metafilter.com/2943/Runnin-With-The-Songsmith

Kinda funny

You can use me as your eSoundz referral (altima_boy_2001).
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Maybe now I can retire all my Software 2009/01/27 10:16:09 (permalink)
    Don,

http://www.dustybin.org.uk/IM.htm

Instant music I remember..hehe I still have the tape somewhere..

I guess it's aimed at a certain audience which is fair enough....

if MS really wanted to the could do a decent music program.. I mean they took on the other big players in the console market. Just I can't seem them doing a serious project as well it's too much of a niche market and it's quite crowded as it is.

I notice it's the research department. MS also help / support the people who make .net paint also. Maybe they could include more, but then there's the whole monopolies thing to consider.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1