Scam To Watch Out For

Author
Harvey Cedars
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1225
2009/01/11 11:46:59 (permalink)

Scam To Watch Out For

This has been verified by the FBI (their link is also included below). Please pass this on to everyone in your email address book. It is spreading fast so be prepared should you get this call. Most of us take those summonses for jury duty seriously, but enough people skip out on their civic duty, that a new and ominous kind of fraud has surfaced.

The caller claims to be a jury coordinator. If you protest that you never received a summons for jury duty, the scammer asks you for your Social Security number and date of birth so he or she can verify the information and cancel the arrest warrant. Give out any of this information and bingo; your identity was just stolen.

The fraud has been reported so far in 11 states. This (swindle) is particularly insidious because they use intimidation over the phone to try to bully people into giving information by pretending they are with the court system. The FBI and the federal court system have issued nationwide alerts on their web sites, warning consumers about the fraud.

http://www.fbi.gov/page2/june06/jury_scams060206.htm

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

7 Replies Related Threads

space_cowboy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Scam To Watch Out For 2009/01/11 17:39:58 (permalink)
    Wow if the people who came up with such creative ideas to rob people just used that creativity for good instead of evil, we might have better TV programming.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Scam To Watch Out For 2009/01/11 18:23:10 (permalink)
    How to guard yourself against identity theft
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqMPifZRCLw

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Scam To Watch Out For 2009/01/11 18:58:50 (permalink)
    Protecting oneself is an easy manner. Always confirm their identity. On phone stuff, I always ask for the number they can be reached at, AS IT APPEARS IN THE PHONEBOOK, so I can look it up, compare, and call them back within minutes. If they won't comply, they're outta there.

Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Scam To Watch Out For 2009/01/11 21:27:05 (permalink)
    Do what I did.... shut the door BEFORE the worst happens....

FREEZE YOUR CREDIT.

Once you freeze you credit, NO ONE can access it for any reason... not even you, with out the secret code.

All the credit card offers have STOPPED.... they can't run a credit check..they are LOCKED OUT! If you need to buy a car or open a new credit card account or something like that, you simply ask which of the 3 credit reporting companies they use, you unfreeze the account for 24 hrs and re freeze it after the account is checked.

It costs $10 per account to freeze and unfreeze..... unless you have been a victim of credit fraud... in that case it is FREE.

get all you need here: http://clarkhoward.com/topics/credit_freeze_states.html

even if they have your SSN.... they can not open an account in your name.... end of story..... Lifelock is not nearly as safe as this method.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/01/11 21:31:09

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Scam To Watch Out For 2009/01/11 22:33:05 (permalink)

If jury service requires that you be 'a good man and true' then I'm very unlikely to fall for it...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Scam To Watch Out For 2009/01/11 23:22:00 (permalink)
    I have a strategy for avoiding jury service. If I ever make it to voir dir and the attorney for the defendant asks a stupid question like "Even though the accused is being tried of armed robbery, one possible sentence for him if he is found guilty is parole. Would you consider it?" (Honestly that has been asked to me on Voir Dir before). My answer has been for that one and other times that I got called "No, if he is found guilty I believe he should suffer the maximum sentence available by law."

That has gotten me out a couple of times. Of course, I was just being honest.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Scam To Watch Out For 2009/01/12 00:03:28 (permalink)
    Quite a simple scam really Harvey. First of all, jury duty never calls you when there's a warrant out for your arrest. The police come get you when it goes that far. How many people have become felons to avoid jury duty? I considered it, a few years in the poke , some new tattoos, no jury duty. Just kidding of course

Craig DuBuc
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1