OK I hate the new forum architecture

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
RE: OK I hate the new forum architecture 2009/01/14 08:49:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

The adoring public isn't as large in a sub-forum...notice as you browse round and read the various whines most of the complainants are from the (good old) Producer forum...where in fact it is much improved from the perspective that any worthwhile app specific info is far easier to find but from the 'notice me' perspective it's a real downer.

You have a point here but I don't think that's the only complaint.

As an example, I for one have no known current concerns that would drive me to the "computer" section.

In the past I could stay abreast of developments in computers and systems by simply observing topics of conversations that were taking place in the Producer section.

Now I have to go to the computer section to specifically observe the latest conversations in depth... there's no longer a causal familiarity which then might inspire me to pay more attention and perhaps learn something.

It concerns the concept of know not know. If these categorical topics are segregated there is far less chance that people will expand their awareness without having some specific need.

I maintain that the premise of those advocating for segregation is willful dis enfranchisement from the broad scope of concerns that effect DAW users. In my view it's an act of selfishness to use claims of convenience as the primary motivation for segregating conversations into narrow topics.

The claim that it's too hard to find info in an era where we all have access to search engines like google is a poor excuse.

The idea that an ideal forum is some sort of reference document that is easily navigated and searched as an encyclopedic resource is misguided

I believe it's this basic flaw in realization, and the resulting refusal to accept that forums are in fact dynamic conversations where topics are going to be repeated perennially, that seems to create the most frustration for people who seem to think the forums should grow into some sort of ideal reference document.

I regret having observed the recent changes to the forum structure and I predict that it will have long term frictional issues as the forces of human nature continue to defy the will of those that wish to control and categorize topics of thought into segregated areas.

very best regards,
mike

jacktheexcynic
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3069
RE: OK I hate the new forum architecture 2009/01/14 20:12:15 (permalink)
well said mike.

- jack the ex-cynic
John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
RE: OK I hate the new forum architecture 2009/01/15 03:28:41 (permalink)
You have a point here but I don't think that's the only complaint.

As an example, I for one have no known current concerns that would drive me to the "computer" section.

In the past I could stay abreast of developments in computers and systems by simply observing topics of conversations that were taking place in the Producer section.

Now I have to go to the computer section to specifically observe the latest conversations in depth... there's no longer a causal familiarity which then might inspire me to pay more attention and perhaps learn something.

It concerns the concept of know not know. If these categorical topics are segregated there is far less chance that people will expand their awareness without having some specific need.

I maintain that the premise of those advocating for segregation is willful dis enfranchisement from the broad scope of concerns that effect DAW users. In my view it's an act of selfishness to use claims of convenience as the primary motivation for segregating conversations into narrow topics.

The claim that it's too hard to find info in an era where we all have access to search engines like google is a poor excuse.

The idea that an ideal forum is some sort of reference document that is easily navigated and searched as an encyclopedic resource is misguided

I believe it's this basic flaw in realization, and the resulting refusal to accept that forums are in fact dynamic conversations where topics are going to be repeated perennially, that seems to create the most frustration for people who seem to think the forums should grow into some sort of ideal reference document.

I regret having observed the recent changes to the forum structure and I predict that it will have long term frictional issues as the forces of human nature continue to defy the will of those that wish to control and categorize topics of thought into segregated areas.

very best regards,
mike

Outstanding post and not far from my own view. I do believe that it will be a matter of how rigorous the mods are in keeping things on topic. However a too heavy hand may prove to be anti forum. It could kill it if they are too restrictive.

Best
John
Oaf_Topik
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2105
RE: OK I hate the new forum architecture 2009/01/15 04:22:03 (permalink)
John, I know it pains you when I agree with you, but your post is right on! I know space cowboy was partly joking, but I do feel somewhat disoriented. Well, more than usual...

space_cowboy
  • Total Posts : 9813
RE: OK I hate the new forum architecture 2009/01/15 12:05:12 (permalink)
Whoa who said I was partly joking?

I try to stay on top of a bunch of topics, but i am never sure where anything is any longer.

And I do agree that while they are trying to clean up the Sonar forum, answers to topics like "Which pre-amp" or "Which toothpaste" will get much fewer answers.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
Jonbouy
  • Total Posts : 22562
RE: OK I hate the new forum architecture 2009/01/15 17:36:22 (permalink)
Actually I'm not that fussed either way...after all it's only a forum.

The pace has slowed down for sure though.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1