Successful Musician?

Author
Jonbouy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 22562
2009/01/14 01:41:18 (permalink)

Successful Musician?

What does it mean to y'all? Is it an Oxymoron even?...

Someone mentioned they were getting an Organ part done to me just now and it immediately it brought my memory back to this chap...

To my mind here is the definition of the accolade.

http://www.kennycraddock.com/

Young players have dreams of making it 'big'....whatever that is, which is great as youth shouldn't be constrained by realism IMO.

Then you get some amazingly proficient players that like some pre-peristroika Russian gymnast have abilities that put them beyond the reach of 'human' interest...freaks if you like...

There are those too that hit the mythical 'big-time' get paid 'real' unreal sums of money and end up as chronic casualties with yearly subscriptions to the best addiction units money can buy yet still end up on the wrong end of the publicity circus.

Ya get the picture?

So what if anything is the fuel that powers your charabang toward the ultimate 'prize' of becoming a 'Successful Musician' (or sustaining that if you already are of course...) and what's your definition if indeed you think there is such a thing?

I'm just being nosey.
post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/01/14 02:00:30

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy

21 Replies Related Threads

SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 07:02:59 (permalink)
    To be successful?! True success is contentment, along with a close-knit family, great friends and being proud of achievements!

Having said that....

Success?! Being famous and wealthy can have it's drawbacks such as.... what seems to be impossible demands, expectations by fans, management and the media treating you like public property, having to be very careful of where you go, what you say... one little slip up, little misunderstanding and the paparazzies will make a mountainous story out of it on the front page!! John Lennon knew that all too well. The other issue is being in fear, therefor requiring security to constantly watch not only you but also your family.

I have a love n hate for the music biz! One of the reasons why the Beatles broke up is because of fear of being killed, during their concerts a few idiots would let of a firecracker and the guys (Paul, George, Ringo) would immediately look to see if John got shot! After John's famous press statement the Beatles later decided to stop touring and soon after Brian (Eppy) Epstein died (I suspect he committed suicide) because he suffered from severe depression and his disappointment when the Beatles wanted to take more control of their direction! Yoko is not the only cause for the Beatles breakup (she may have played a small part, there was one opportunity for the Beatles to reunite but that got squashed because John decided to go back to be with Yoko), the real reason for the Beatles breakup is because of several reasons including disagreements in directions, management decisions often stalemated, also George and Ringo wanted more input in writing, George did his own greatly successful album! I have a friend who knew the Beatles since before the Beatles final lineup (long before Ringo joined), my friend was the Beatles early manager (later became a promoter and author). Eppy is a genius when it comes to business making money and he was wealthy enough to offer the Beatles new music gear, clothes and later God knows whatever else... still a mystery as to what else Eppy offered in regards to that boating trip with John.

The Beatles certainly had great success but along with that success was great disappointment. Paul and Ringo probably handled it better! George disliked the commercial aspects, John being the rebellion whilst also being a sensitive guy which I can understand since losing his mom and then his own son thinking John was not a good father yet eventually they rekindle that situation. His own son knows how impossibly demanding and stressful the music biz can be (his first rec contract soon wised him up).

A band is like a marriage and when that marriage becomes famous you also have to handle all sorts of conflicting issues along with additional issues of being under the scrutinized spotlight of the the media and the stress of having to continue coming up with yet again more goods all this whilst being extremely busy and all the other issues I already explained! Thus trying to find time for family! Being famous can cause more woes than good and in that regard I consider being in that situation as... very depressing, very stressful and it can lead to suicide or having one step in the grave. It's very, very difficult to be truly successful in the music biz.
    post edited by SongCraft - 2009/01/14 07:06:59

Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 08:22:56 (permalink)
    Ooh, you're going to get some varied answers on this one. I'll take the tough extreme. To me a successful musician is someone whose music is still played 100 years after the person's death. If it lives past 100 years, chances are it'll live as long as human civilization does.

Ok so obviously none of us will ever know success by this standard, because we'll be fully rotted by then. But we can still have fun getting there. What I'm saying is, you can't be a successful musician in this lifetime, but you can surely be a successful human being ...enjoying what you do, and being proud of it!

of course if you wake up one day and realize you're bigger than jesus, then well that changes everything...

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 08:54:53 (permalink)
    I just finished a reading book about early Greek culture.

After a long analysis of the Odyssey the author pointed out that when it's all over it turns out the story was about how important it is to most humans to have a home, friends and family, and sense of place. So 2500 years ago that's what success meant... I think, as has been suggested by the previous posts, it's still true today.

:-)

spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 08:58:14 (permalink)
    Currently, based on 42 years of playing, my opinion is defined only for myself as;
    When I'm a successful musician is when I play something that the listener "connects" to and has great enjoyment from the sound. And many times that is only me enjoying it.
    I've learned (for myself) that it doesn't take "advanced" knowledge of music theory or technical abilities of a musical instrument for one to create enjoyable music. Music is magical and it's a fantastic experience when someone that plays an instrument or a listener that is "moved" by it, to be part of that ...that's success. JMO.

I'll add that I've experienced a great deal of that magic here.

Michael
    No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 09:24:13 (permalink)
    For me a successful musician is one who has had his/her music heard (as in really listened to) by someone ELSE...(outside their immediate environment).
    post edited by No How - 2009/01/14 10:13:14

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    The Big D
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 152
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 09:43:35 (permalink)
    Here's my answer... and this only really relates to my twisted perception of things.
    Good question!

To me, success is the favorable outcome of something you try.

If I was in the music business to make a living, feed my family, pay my mortgage, car payments and put a bit away for retirement, that would mean a weekly paycheck. Playing any gig, subbing, studio work, teaching... whatever it took to 'make the payments'.

If I was in the music business to 'become a star' and feed the ego, well, maybe I'd be aligning myself with the glitziest people, being outlandish on stage, doing whatever it took to be noticed. (actually, what does it take to be a 'star'? I sure as hell don't know!)

Now... I have a day job that 'makes my payments'. I don't think my ego is so huge that I need to be a star, but let's all admit it... if you like being on stage, you have at least a little bit of an ego. So, why do I gig twice a month for little or no accolades, dismal payments and complete apathy from my friends and family?

Because I love to play. Pure and simple. If at the end of a gig, someone comes up and says, "Hey, I really liked that" and they buy a CD, or the owner/manager says "Hey, you guys were pretty good, we'd love to have you back" And they pay us! I guess that makes my day. Heck, even when everyone is not paying attention and there are three drunks in the house... if I can hit that harmony, play that lick and we're sounding good, well... that made my day too. In my case, it's the little things. I realize that this is a hobby.

So... I guess I do this the because it's either this, or bowling every wednesday night, right

SHS6XL, GTP3, 2.66Ghz P4, HD:80Gb/500ex, XP Home(SP3), Presonus Firepod, Line 6 Guitar Port, Behringer 2030A Monitors.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=911331
    www.thisisthis.net
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 10:33:17 (permalink)
    In my youth (a LONG time ago) I confused being a successful musician with being a professional musician. Since I'm well past the point of thinking I can make a profession out of it, I've had to revise my notion. My current philosophy is much like No How's. I think of myself as a successful musician because 1.) I make music I like that is appreciated by others, and 2.) I'm pretty happy doing it. Since making money at it is no longer a consideration, that #2 is easier to achieve
    Mark

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 10:35:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Jonbouy
    So what if anything is the fuel that powers your charabang toward the ultimate 'prize' of becoming a 'Successful Musician' (or sustaining that if you already are of course...) and what's your definition if indeed you think there is such a thing?

IMO success is when you've set out goals and achieved them. If your goal is the ubiquous 'making it big' you probably will have little chance of achieving it. If your goal is to make a good living within the music business you probably will achieve it. Goals also have multiple layers of success, or at least mine did. The Multiple layers of my goal of making a living as a musican were as follows: being able to say musically what I wanted to say; being able to accurately document it on tape and records; earning enough money to be in the economic basics worry free zone; to travel the world as part of my work; to meet girls; to have an interesting life; to explore and educate myself etc...

By that criteria I was a very successful musician. By that criteria I am also a successful business owner. I also think that success changes in meaning and purpose as we age. And it changes according to the foundation we have built up over time. If your foundation is one of regret and not achieving your goals, your view of success in life at 40 plus years old...no matter what degree you may have achieved...you probably won't ever feel successful. But if your foundation is one of achieving your goals, or at least always giving your best shot at reaching them, then you will probably feel more successful, and will probably reach new levels of personal sucess as you age.

And life always has a way of redefining what you think is being successful. Such as for me I was a late bloomer type, and didn't get married until I was in my late 30's. I didn't have children until I was 40. When the kid showed up my whole life redefined itself in meaning and purpose. Not that anything I did or wanted to accomplish meant less, just that something with more meaning and purpose came into my life. So now while my goal is to continue being a successful businessman ( I'm still in the music business) it is overshawdowed by the desire to be the best father I can be and that my business will improve rather than interfere with the well being of my family. So my veiw of success is tempered by my famlies success. Which is why I say that life can redefine what you deem successful over time.

post edited by Nate - 2009/01/14 10:41:42
    thegeek
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 13:27:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nate

IMO success is when you've set out goals and achieved them.

Spot on!I totally agree with this so the question "what does a sucesfull musician mean to you?" is really translated into :

"what goals does a musician set to himself-herself according to you?"

With that in mind,i guess succesfull is the musician that manages not only to express himself through his creations BUT also this expression,this "transmition" if you will,is able to be received by AT LEAST one other person.Actually Im not sure if that indeed IS the goal every musician sets to himself but I believe this SHOULD be the case.In other words thats a sucessfull musician TO ME

Also agree that we must not confuse the terms "sucessfull musician" with "professional musician" And as I already mentioned they do not need to be bonded - only if the beholder believes that profits and publicity are sucess in other words only if the beholder has set a goal to make money and have fame!
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 14:18:42 (permalink)
    To me a successful musician is simply someone who makes their living from music. Good enough at it to be 'in demand' and to provide for their family if they have one, making music day in, day out. Being a well-known musician is another thing entirely.

There are players that I see every now and again, with this band or that artist and I think 'yeah, you're still doing it' A lot of these people are keyboard players - Spencer Cozens, Foster Patterson, Andy Giddings, Guy Fletcher..you'll probably have to Google 'em, but they're always working, cropping up on the end credits of a TV show, or backing a 'big name', unobtrusively.

Longevity in the music biz, without all the trappings of 'success', but undoubtedly with the respect of their peers. That would do for me.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Spaceduck
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2499
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 14:38:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

There are players that I see every now and again, with this band or that artist and I think 'yeah, you're still doing it' A lot of these people are keyboard players - Spencer Cozens, Foster Patterson, Andy Giddings, Guy Fletcher..you'll probably have to Google 'em, but they're always working, cropping up on the end credits of a TV show, or backing a 'big name', unobtrusively.

That's a weird phenomenon, especially with regard to super rockstars who quietly slip into the world of tv & film, or even less conspicuously on backing tracks of other bands' songs. I'm thinking of people like John Paul Jones who, after Zeppelin, started doing orchestral arrangements. You'd never see his name unless you dig deep into the liner notes.

Another one is Trevor Rabin who, after getting ousted from Yes, seemed to fall off the edge of the world. But just the other day I saw some recent Schwartzennegger film and happened to notice the credits... sure enough there's Trev.

I'd love to interview these people and ask point blank, is their new direction as fulfilling as being a skintight-pants-wearing rock star with 15 groupies waiting backstage? Do you think I'd get an honest answer?

Spaceduck music [HERE]
    Spaceduck videos [HERE]
    jamesg1213
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 14:42:09 (permalink)
    D'ya reckon Yes ever had groupies? I have my doubts..

Jyemz

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 14:43:22 (permalink)
    Yes, Groupies....Groupies, Yes,
    there's a sign of success.

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 14:48:05 (permalink)
    To me a successful musician is someone who can read, write, think, play, perform the language of music as fluently and easily as speaking. The rest of the world is just to flakey to use as a measure of success. If you can do all that and collect the big bucks too, then you are hugely successful.

Craig DuBuc
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 15:18:59 (permalink)
    can you do a babe-count?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    dlogan
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2544
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 15:26:27 (permalink)
    I consider myself a successful musician because it brings me happiness and I know music I've created and music I've performed with others has made other people happy as well. Of course, I would like my music to make a greater number of people even greater happiness so I will keep striving for a higher level of "success", but I personally don't define my success as a musician by making a living at it, writing a hit song, etc.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 15:32:13 (permalink)
    I think Nate nailed it pretty much. I also think the definition is different depending on your age. Like Nate, mine has changed over the years. In my teens, it was chicks. In my 20's, it was big gigs and no day job. In my early 30's it was a really good band, with steady gigs and no hassles. Things changed in my mid 30's, with marriage and children responsibilities. Now I measure my success by how good my recordings sound to me.

And to answer the question about the group Yes, and did they have groupies. The answer is a definite yes! I actually met some of them. Nicest bunch of guys you would ever want to meet, and excellent chess players as well.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jamesg1213
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 16:11:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rsp@odyssey.net

I think Nate nailed it pretty much. I also think the definition is different depending on your age. Like Nate, mine has changed over the years. In my teens, it was chicks. In my 20's, it was big gigs and no day job. In my early 30's it was a really good band, with steady gigs and no hassles. Things changed in my mid 30's, with marriage and children responsibilities. Now I measure my success by how good my recordings sound to me.

And to answer the question about the group Yes, and did they have groupies. The answer is a definite yes! I actually met some of them. Nicest bunch of guys you would ever want to meet, and excellent chess players as well.

Randy

Well Steve Howe always has been a babe-magnet..

post edited by jamesg1213 - 2009/01/14 16:17:02

Jyemz

Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 16:30:19 (permalink)
    Erm...uhh...James, is that you with Mr. Howe?

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    jamesg1213
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/14 16:35:15 (permalink)
    Nah. I'm rubbish at chess. I'd be afraid he'd take my bishop..

Jyemz

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Successful Musician? 2009/01/16 12:03:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jamesg1213

Nah. I'm rubbish at chess. I'd be afraid he'd take my bishop..

Probably not, James. But he might make your white queen run so fast..........

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1