Best radio humour?

Author
Garry Stubbs
Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2619
2009/01/15 18:09:33 (permalink)

Best radio humour?

I was listening to Count Arthur Strong on Radio 4 yesterday, as well as laughing so much that I nearly ran my car off the road, I got to thinking what quality radio we have here in the UK and hope you get as much pleasure out of the radio wherever you are. I think radio humour should appeal more to folks like us who are more "aurally" inclined. So here I am with my late night mug of hot milk and whiskey, thinking about my travels around the world and listening to radio in small snippets where I can like in hotel rooms, taxi cabs or hire cars, and I dont recall hearing any humour / comedic based talk radio on my travels, is this just a UK thing or have I been tuned to the wrong part of the dial around the world..... Any comments or tell me about your best stuff.

Cheers

Garry Kiosk
post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/01/15 18:13:58

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)

7 Replies Related Threads

thegeek
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 631
    RE: Best radio humour? 2009/01/15 19:12:19 (permalink)
    hmmm Im wondering if the following REAL incident that hapenned at a greek radio station can be thought of as "radio humour"......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn-q4dakss0

......nahhhhhhhhh didnt think so!

For your info: the guy just keeps on reading the news regardless of what happens.......
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: Best radio humour? 2009/01/15 19:57:11 (permalink)
    A true professional !!!

Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Best radio humour? 2009/01/16 22:48:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: The Kiosk Project

I was listening to Count Arthur Strong on Radio 4 yesterday, as well as laughing so much that I nearly ran my car off the road, I got to thinking what quality radio we have here in the UK and hope you get as much pleasure out of the radio wherever you are. I think radio humour should appeal more to folks like us who are more "aurally" inclined. So here I am with my late night mug of hot milk and whiskey, thinking about my travels around the world and listening to radio in small snippets where I can like in hotel rooms, taxi cabs or hire cars, and I dont recall hearing any humour / comedic based talk radio on my travels, is this just a UK thing or have I been tuned to the wrong part of the dial around the world..... Any comments or tell me about your best stuff.

Cheers

Garry Kiosk

You do have an advantage over us yanks -- our golden age of radio was over 50 years ago.

The satellite provider, Sirius runs two or three comedy channels on their monster system and I find myself switching between them on long drives. The problem is they're all taped standup bits, so you tend to hear the same stuff over and over if you listen regularly (Americans ruin most things this way).

They also have an old-time radio channel, that runs the old radio dramas. I get a big kick out of these.

As for broadcast radio, in the 1990's, the Clintons deregulated the airwaves (gave away the public airwaves, basically), and now a handful of companies own 97% of all broadcast stations, so what we get is homogenated pap with no goals other than selling product. There's no more creativity in broadcast radio -- only tested formulae.

We still have a local station or two here and there, but in general, the US is a radio wasteland, similar to the broadcast wasteland of commercial TV.

--kwgm
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Best radio humour? 2009/01/18 06:27:24 (permalink)
    Garry do you know of "Barry from Watford" ? he's fake but when I heard it originally I laughed when he rang up the radio.

http://www.barryfromwatford.com/hear.html

the slugs call, but it was obvious he was a plant.

he did some tv stuff. but the radio stuff I liked more

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=kIll7-sOoVc&feature=related

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=iL-PKL-L1P8

kwgm, a lot of people from the US listen to London stations via the net, a few of them put it... well it's different in a good way to what we have over here.. yep we have the same boring commercial stations that play 20 songs on a loop, but thankfully thats not all
    post edited by Fog - 2009/01/18 07:17:29
    Garry Stubbs
    RE: Best radio humour? 2009/01/18 08:54:52 (permalink)
    Cheers Fog, No never heard of Barry from Watford, having a bit of trouble with the MP3 files on my lappy right now so I will have a listen tonight. I love radio, I did some hospital radio in my late teens "Sunshine Radio" at Fazakerly hospital in Liverpool all those years ago. I also briefly played a character I created "Iggy Braithwaite" for a BBC WM radio show in the mid nineties "The Groovy Garden". He was a Lancashire guy who claimed he wrote many songs which were pinched and rewritten to become big hits for other artists mainly in the late 60's 70's, a great excuse to sing stupid rewrites of songs , a particular favourite was Gary Puckett and the Union Gap's "Young Girl" which Iggy claimed he originally wrote and performed as "Young Lass, get out of my loft, my luv for you is all way 't cock (lancastrian for confused btw) etc etc Oh well, it kept me out of the pub.............

Kiosk out

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Best radio humour? 2009/01/18 10:11:40 (permalink)
    well you know of Sven the fisherman from swiss cottage? he used to ring up clive bull on LBC in London back in the day.. it was really peter cooke

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Best radio humour? 2009/01/18 11:40:59 (permalink)
    Get a copy of "Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the plyers" by Firesign Theater. Put it on your stereo. Sit on your couch and pretend you are driving.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1