Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet?

Author
SmokeyJ628
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 809
2009/01/20 14:26:52 (permalink)

Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet?

This expansion pack really intrigues me. I'm always looking for interesting textures for Rapture.

Does anyone have it yet? If so, what are you thoughts on it?

--SmokeyJ

27 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 02:42:56 (permalink)
    Well, I have it!

Seriously, check out the video under the NAMM news...all the sounds on it (except the drum loops) were made with the Electronic Guitar Expansion Pack patches. That should give you a pretty good idea of the general feel, but of course, there's a lot more than just what's in the audio examples.

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have, but bear in mind I'm pretty biased LOL...I worked on it for over a year, and did it primarily so I'd have new sounds to use in my own music and soundtrack libraries.
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 04:32:43 (permalink)
    LOL

Is it any good?...

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 13:27:55 (permalink)
    Well, let's see what people think!

One thing about the set is that it takes some time to familiarize yourself with the various options. Some patches are meant to be played one key at a time, and allowed to develop...these are patches like the "one-finger chord progressions." If you play a big chord, they're going to sound pretty useless. If you hit just one key and work the mod wheel, then it all makes sense. On the other hand, the pads just beg to have you play huge, wide chords. I'd say the pads were the biggest surprise to me - I didn't know going in that guitar sounds could be so fat when layered and processed.

Even the basses have some built-in subtleties. Most of those sounds let you use the mod wheel to morph into an alternate patch. For example, you might want to use a particular bass sound for the verse, but move the mod wheel to bring up an alternate version for the chorus. Or you can simply think of it as having double the number of bass patches :)

So, Electronic Guitars is a somewhat "deeper" set of patches than the Minimoog Tribute pack. Lots of mod wheel options bring different elements in and out, for example, to add ornaments to the step-sequenced patches. You can hear a lot of this on the video, but it's a different experience to be sitting in front of a keyboard and morphing a patch to fit the song.
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 15:56:04 (permalink)
    Jon I'll thinking I'll wait for the review in Computer Music, if Craig or someone at cake has submitted it to them..

I tried the link off the banner, doesn't work here. did the other day and the store detail isn't specific enough. e.g. how many patches.

post edited by Fog - 2009/01/21 16:04:16
    SmokeyJ628
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 16:12:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Anderton

Well, let's see what people think!

One thing about the set is that it takes some time to familiarize yourself with the various options. Some patches are meant to be played one key at a time, and allowed to develop...these are patches like the "one-finger chord progressions." If you play a big chord, they're going to sound pretty useless. If you hit just one key and work the mod wheel, then it all makes sense. On the other hand, the pads just beg to have you play huge, wide chords. I'd say the pads were the biggest surprise to me - I didn't know going in that guitar sounds could be so fat when layered and processed.

Even the basses have some built-in subtleties. Most of those sounds let you use the mod wheel to morph into an alternate patch. For example, you might want to use a particular bass sound for the verse, but move the mod wheel to bring up an alternate version for the chorus. Or you can simply think of it as having double the number of bass patches :)

So, Electronic Guitars is a somewhat "deeper" set of patches than the Minimoog Tribute pack. Lots of mod wheel options bring different elements in and out, for example, to add ornaments to the step-sequenced patches. You can hear a lot of this on the video, but it's a different experience to be sitting in front of a keyboard and morphing a patch to fit the song.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the response. Your post mentioned basses and sequences. Can you give an idea of the number of patches and patch categories that come in the pack?

The screen shot on the webpage gives a little bit of the patch list, but I'm curious about what all is in there.

Thanks!

--SmokeyJ
    Fog
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 16:15:12 (permalink)
    smokey did you see this >

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B0LnVGOt7v8

says over 100 programs on that

I dunno I might wait for the jonbouy guitar pack on the dragon 32 to come out
    post edited by Fog - 2009/01/21 16:19:04
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 16:17:33 (permalink)
    The video at http://www.cakewalk.com/products/ElectronicGuitars/videos.asp has a section that scrolls through the Rapture browser, showing all patch categories and names of the 100+ patches. If for some reason you can't see the video, I can write down the names of the folders and how many patches are in each one.
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 16:21:55 (permalink)
    The video referenced by Fog is the same one. Let me emphasize that like the Minimoog Tribute pack, which was NOT designed to sound the same as all the Minimoog patches out there, Electronic Guitars is not supposed to sound like the 4,657 other guitar sample libraries. While all the sounds use guitar samples as their basis, the final sounds owe just as much, if not more, to Rapture's step sequencing and processing options as to the original sound sources.
    SmokeyJ628
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 16:38:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Anderton

The video at http://www.cakewalk.com/products/ElectronicGuitars/videos.asp has a section that scrolls through the Rapture browser, showing all patch categories and names of the 100+ patches. If for some reason you can't see the video, I can write down the names of the folders and how many patches are in each one.

Thanks for the links, Craig and Fog.

For some reason, the one on Cake's site wouldn't load for me, but I was able to see the YouTube version that Fog posted.

I'm intrigued by what I've seen and heard. I don't have the cash right now, but this is on my list.

Overall, I'm pleased to see another Rapture expansion pack. Part of the reason I bought Rapture was to own an incredible synth with lots of options to expand it (e.g. Anderton's packs, Galbanum, etc). I hope to continue to see more packs in the future.

--SmokeyJ
    Fog
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 16:43:07 (permalink)
    smokey you have the 2 mentioned in my sig also? both free.
    post edited by Fog - 2009/01/21 16:46:57
    SmokeyJ628
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/21 16:58:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Fog

smokey you have the 2 mentioned in my sig also? both free.

Absolutely. They're both fantastic.

--SmokeyJ
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/22 08:36:01 (permalink)
    There are six strings on a guitar, and six elements inside of Rapture. :) Guitars inside of Rapture is the meat to my potato. The sound design options are wide open here. I was lucky enough to catch Craig's demo at NAMM. My favorite patches are the ones that switch between major and minor chords on the mod wheel. I was also happy to see certain programs taking advantage of all of Rapture's elements by loading the corresponding guitar string multisamples into the respective element on Rapture for individual string processing.

Now all I need is a solid MIDI guitar controller:

Casio DG20 anyone?

:)
    Fog
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/22 09:42:58 (permalink)
    chad I think a friend had one of them, well some midi guitar controller , this is going back YYYEAAAAAAAAARS though..
    although I think his one was a yamaha one (was one of them days I wasn't paying much attention)
    chad
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/22 10:45:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog

chad I think a friend had one of them, well some midi guitar controller , this is going back YYYEAAAAAAAAARS though..
    although I think his one was a yamaha one (was one of them days I wasn't paying much attention)

Built in the 80s, yet seems soo right for 2010. :)
    wrench45us
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4991
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/22 12:15:58 (permalink)

ModWheel con move from major to minor!

is there a Mod Wheel for tritone substitution?

Malibu1328
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/22 22:19:55 (permalink)
    Is there a pdf file that comes with "Electronic Guitars?"
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/23 19:17:26 (permalink)
    What would you want a PDF to include? It does come with the video but I suspect you want something else....
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/23 19:20:13 (permalink)
    Oh, I should also mention that it comes with 10 free loops using the various sounds.
    dburns
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/24 14:53:04 (permalink)
    I bought it the first day. All I need to see is "Anderton" and "Rapture" (or "Cakewalk") and I am ready to buy.

I haven't played with it a lot, but, as mentioned, using the MOD wheel to go from a minor to major chord is nifty.

It's not a set of loops or guitar emulations, although there are some nice guitar-sounding patches. It's not a construction or loop kit. It (apparently) uses funamental guitar sounds to build pads and other patches.

In some patches you can hear that it may have started out as a guitar sound, but that it has been processed and Raptured into something else. Some patches seem to use a guitar only as a basic oscilator, but the result is nothing like a guitar.

I think I would use it as a starting point for creating something. You can browse the patches and get inspired, and there are many different sounds in there. Of course, you can further tweak them within Rapture.

EDIT: I just went back and watched the video referenced in this thread. Hadn't seen it before! Everything is as advertised. Yes, it's good. :)

post edited by dburns - 2009/01/24 15:03:58

Dave Burns
    Lowell, MA
    More equipment than skill.
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/24 17:20:22 (permalink)
    Thanks very much, Dave, you "get" exactly what I wanted to do - create something BASED on guitars rather than EMULATING guitars.

While you are right that Electronic Guitars is not intended to be a loop kit, I think as you play with it more, you'll find that the "one-finger chord progressions" and "one-finger rhythms" are ideal for looping. In fact, I'm creating an audio loop library based on those for my own use...maybe they'll become part of a larger loop library someday. Or maybe I should send them as a "thank-you" to people who bought the patches; I would think Cakewalk has captured those email names somewhere.

Thanks again for the review! Please let us know if you come up with any interesting tips or insights on using them. One of the coolest things about getting a product like this out into the world is when people tell me "Yeah, I'm using it for..." and it's something I never would have considered.
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/01/24 17:22:11 (permalink)
    Oh one more thing...ALL oscillator sounds started off as guitar samples, even the kick drum patch. There are no waveforms other than guitar in there.
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/03/06 18:57:59 (permalink)
    I just realized this has had one review, and it was positive, so I can say that it got "100% positive reviews on Cakewalk's web site!"

But seriously, I would be interested in any comments, pro or con. They're always useful for the next project.
    Fog
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/03/07 04:47:55 (permalink)
    Craig , but that's like a beer advertised here.. "probably the best beer in the world" .. it may well be, but I haven't tried all of them yet

I dunno what mag it was reviewed in, but like more I suspect we have our favourites and stick to 1 or 2, I mean I decided to buy S.O.S the other day, I haven't bought that in a very long time. I subscribe to CM , and FM is from the same publisher. So maybe submit it to both of them as well? .. just a thought.

Generally speaking , I rarely buy something solely on 1 review if I'm honest and if it only has the 1, well if I can I test the thing in the shop as well if possible.
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/03/08 01:58:02 (permalink)
    Oh, actually, I was referring to the one post here from the guy who'd bought it

Magazines don't review my stuff because I write for so many of them...it would look too weird to get either a favorable review or a negative one. If it was favorable, people might think it was because I was a "bud," and if it got a negative review, it would make the magazine look stupid for hiring me to write for them!

Anyway, the reason why I bumped this is because feedback is invaluable to me. Anything I do is always shaped by how people reacted to the last thing I did, and I'm trying to figure out which of several projects to do next.

Fog
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/03/08 12:59:39 (permalink)
    yep I guess there is that aspect Craig.. the balance for you since you write as well..

obviously that could be leveled because you work for a mag, bit of a conflict of interests.. Someone here in the UK you'd probably know thru your work also used to write for a mag, but was also a distributor and if memory serves he did a review on one of the products he distributed but didn't exactly make it obvious of his connection with it

I mean if you did more stuff and submit it to a few without your name obviously on it that might work..

A friend did that with a EP he did, was rather funny when he was playing a live gig and a guy commented on how he liked the songs, how he played... then later he was at the bar slating another band.. the joke was the guy playing (a friend of mine) , he used that band name as another alias..hehe

I guess it's like the saying "your only as good as your last album".
    dburns
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 323
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/03/08 18:06:19 (permalink)
    I'm the guy who posted the review. :)

I have messed around with Electronic Guitars and the Moog Tribute, but I have nothing to post for you to listen to. But, that shouldn't reflect on Craig's work at all, of course. The tools are wonderful, it's my creativity and skill that are my problem.

Since you, Craig, mention always wondering what to do next, I'll make a suggestion. I don't think there would be much of a market because I want sounds for the EWI 4000S (or EWI USB), and there are just a few of us out here.

Here's a copy of a post I made in a thread in the U-He forum (Zebra2) on KVRaudio.

"I'd buy patches set up for wind controllers, specifically the EWI 4000S and EWI USB. Some emulative patches, perhaps real-sounding or 'electronically altered' sounds based on real world instruments. Also, some more esoteric things, but with breath control, vibrato (pitchbend or "bite") control, and maybe some controls to map to EWI's glide strip.

I find it a challenge to convert most synth patches, especially the beautiful but complex Zebra2 patches, for use on my EWIs. It's not a simple as replacing CC7 with CC2. You have to consider all the oscilators and modulators, and try to figure out which ones can be mapped to the controller for the most overall control of the sound.

You would still have plenty of modulation sources that the EWI can use; pitchbend (bite), volume/expression, pressure (breath control sensitivity), the glide strip. You could even allow for parameter controls using MIDI notes at the extremes of the EWI's range; notes that wouldn't be missed in normal playing, but could be used to trigger modulators, the step generator, etc.

Give me a pad that I can trigger with a MIDI note, then play and layer other MIDI notes, while changing cutoff/res with breath pressure, start an lfo with bite, change X/Y parameters by playing certain other MIDI notes (with their own modulations)....well, you get the idea.

So, if you make some patches designed for expressive control, and with parameters that can be adapted easily to wind synths, I'd be a customer."

Of course, Rapture has tremendous possibilities in its Mod Matrix. But, it's translating the patch from keyboard-speak to EWI-speak that stumbles me.

I have some of the sample based horns, like SaxLab, The Trumpet & Mr. Sax T, etc. But I think an oscilator based synth, not a sampler, would be more expressive and controllable for EWI playing.

Maybe someone will build a computer/software that can mimic a VL70-M, using real time physical modeling rather than samples. A Pianoteq for wind controller players?

Just an idea. :)

post edited by dburns - 2009/03/08 18:15:42

Dave Burns
    Lowell, MA
    More equipment than skill.
    Anderton
    RE: Anyone have the Anderton Electronic Guitars for Rapture yet? 2009/03/16 02:28:56 (permalink)
    Very good idea...but I'm not the one to implement, I don't play wind controller and wouldn't really know how to optimize patches to work well with it :( Sorry!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1