recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar

Author
Stu_Art
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 28
2009/01/20 16:37:28 (permalink)

recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar

Hi Gurus of the Cakewalk world..

I've got an old Alesis data disk and before selling it I want to transfer the songs, in midi format (i think '0') into Sonar (ver 7 Producer).

I can 'play' the midi song and Sonar records...but all on one track...is there a way to split out to the 16 channels...either set up to do this automatically before starting to record or do post recording?

Secondly, I started the record manually ..ie clicked on Sonar record, then started play on the Datadisk...is there a way of holding Sonar so that its on record 'sandby' then starts to record when it gets the first bit of data from the Datadisk? ...its not a problem to drag the track back to the start..but would be nice if there is a way to do this automatically...

Many thanks for any assistance

Stu
post edited by Stu_Art - 2009/01/20 16:42:31

8 Replies Related Threads

CJaysMusic
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2009/01/20 16:56:45 (permalink)
    Theres cal's that can seperate the 16 channels into seperate tracks in sonar
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Stu_Art
    RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2009/01/20 17:01:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Cj....Looking through the menus now...do you know where I might find CALs?....just looked that up in the help file, but its vague on where this is...
    Frank Haas
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2490
    RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2009/01/20 17:02:22 (permalink)
    you can also "save as" and choose midi-1(?) as your filetype..

you can sync Sonar to ext. midi-gear.. right click in the menu/icons and include the sync-tab to the menu.. start from there..
    CJaysMusic
    RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2009/01/20 17:23:07 (permalink)
    The Cals are in the Process/ then click the arrows on the very bottom of that menu
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Stu_Art
    RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2009/01/20 17:31:59 (permalink)
    Great ...thanks Cj...it was the "then click the arrows on the very bottom of that menu " that did it..I read in help that CAL programs were under Process...but started to think I didnt have it/them installed....and wow, loads in there.....more to learn :) ...you're a star...cheers!!

And Frank ...excellent too...just what I was hoping ...many thanks!

All the very best from the UK

Stu :oD
    CJaysMusic
    RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2009/01/20 17:55:32 (permalink)
    Your welcome..I dont know why there hidden like that???

Audio Blog
    pianodano
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2009/01/20 19:10:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stu_Art

Hi Gurus of the Cakewalk world..

I've got an old Alesis data disk and before selling it I want to transfer the songs, in midi format (i think '0') into Sonar (ver 7 Producer).

I can 'play' the midi song and Sonar records...but all on one track...is there a way to split out to the 16 channels...either set up to do this automatically before starting to record or do post recording?

Secondly, I started the record manually ..ie clicked on Sonar record, then started play on the Datadisk...is there a way of holding Sonar so that its on record 'sandby' then starts to record when it gets the first bit of data from the Datadisk? ...its not a problem to drag the track back to the start..but would be nice if there is a way to do this automatically...

Many thanks for any assistance

Stu

I do it this as follows with my MC500 sequencer:

In Sonar, I have a 16 track template setup that I call MC500 template configured

Track 1 input = MC500 channel 1
    Track 2 input = MC500 channel 2
    Track 3 input = MC500 channel 3
    Track 4 input = MC500 channel 4
    and so on for all 16 channels. Of couse if you don't have 16 channels to transfer you can stop at whatever channel is the highest. The tracks will only record the port and channel you have selected for input. I just open the template, set the tempo to whatever the song tempo is and immediately resave it as the song name thereby preserving my template for future use.

RE sycning: I never sync Sonar to an external midi device. I find the best method is to transmit midi clock/start/stop over the midi out port to the MC500 and put it (the MC500) in sync mode and it then waits to receive the midi start command and dutifully begins playing the song when I hit record in Sonar. You Sonar measures will correspond to your original recording ok. Just don't forget to set Sonar to the approximate tempo of the song if you do sync the sequencer.

Let us know if you need more help here.

Regards,

Danny
    post edited by pianodano - 2009/01/20 19:24:04

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
    jasonthurley
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 264
    Re: RE: recording midi from Datadisk into Sonar 2010/07/22 18:00:32 (permalink)
    You can also setup a 16 channel MIDI session and instead of recording all channels to one track... select the channels to record to each track... so MIDI track one will record MIDI channel 1.. MIDI track 2 will record MIDI channel 2.... do this and then record all 16 tracks... it should send each channel into separate tracks... or import the MIDI file into a 16 track MIDI session.

Just a few ideas to throw out there
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1