Software Advice

Author
z1812
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 294
2009/01/22 14:53:30 (permalink)

Software Advice

Hi All,

I am "serious amateur" who likes to write songs with mostly acoustic instruments. I enjoy a variety of styles. My Computer is an Intel Quad 6600 with 4G ram and Vista 64 bit.

I have Sonar Power Studio 5. At the moment I have Motu Symphonic and Motu Ethnic sounds VST's. Also IK Sample Tank 2L. Some of the sounds from these are just fine and some are not. I presume, like myself, people like as many choices as they can have for the particular sound they want for an instrument.

I have $550 to spend and I am not sure of the best way to use it. For example should I take advantage of IK MultiMedia's buy 1 get one free or crossgrade to Sonar 8 producer platinum edition which would give me the complete E-MU Proteus sample sets as well as other goodies.

Perhaps I should just focus on sample sets. Any advice is very much appreciated. I know what is available to buy. I just am not sure what to buy.

Regards John

6 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Software Advice 2009/01/22 21:34:54 (permalink)
    $550 to spend..... hummmmmm.... what about your sound card? could it stand an upgrade? With 64 bit Vista... you'll need a 64bit compatable platform.....Is Sonar8 64 bit? Not much help...sorry.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Software Advice 2009/01/22 23:48:17 (permalink)
    He's running Power Studio, so he's most likely using the Edirol UA-25 that comes bundled with Power Studio. No need to upgrade unless more than 2 input channels are needed.

OP: I'd say invest in a good microphone if you are actually recording real acoustic instruments. But if you're doing mostly sampled acoustic instruments, you'd probably be better off with a good sample library. Which one? Well, that really depends on the type of music you do. If it's orchestral, the Vienna Symphonic Library is killer. If it's more pop, rock or country you might have more fun with something like EastWest's Ministry of Rock. Or maybe a GM library.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    RE: Software Advice 2009/01/23 00:30:29 (permalink)
    What types of acoustic instruments do you like to write for ? There was recently a very good sale on NI Akoustic Piano for instance. Garritan is about to launch several new instruments as well a second library of orchestral samples. Personally I would stay away from guitar samples unless you want to sound like a really poor guitarist. So.. for acoustic instruments you're sort of limiting your library selection to ...plucked strings ( guitars - harps )... bowed strings...( violins viola's blah blah blah ) hammered strings ( piano's - clavinets - hapsichords etc ) ....reeds ( oboes - harmonica's - saxes clarinets etc ... percussion/ mallet ( all kinds )...horns ( blah blah blah ).
    I guess I would recommend something open ended like Kontact 3 and you can then add to your library as your styles change. NI free Kore player is a good one to get into for specialty synth like sounds that you can get a good variety of with out sinking a whole lot of money into a one trick pony kind of synth. Check out some of the free synth's and samplers. Lot's of fun to make your own samples as well

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Software Advice 2009/01/23 00:37:13 (permalink)
    Try the SONAR PE upgrade. Dimpro - nice synth with a lot of sounds. NOt just the traditional stuff, but wierd sound design presets. Worth it just for that, along with all the other PE goodies (the tube leveler and convolution reverb are great, transient is useful and the mastering stuff worthwhile if you don't have others). Z3TA is a great synth for those synth sounds (rather than sampler stuff), and Beatscape is worth experimenting with (again, more electronic oriented, but ...).

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    moosetex
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Software Advice 2009/01/23 02:55:18 (permalink)
    (For z1812)

If you really want to spend that money, then I would say that the upgrade to SONAR 8 PE would give you the best return on your investment. There are ways to make poor samples sound 1,000 times better using the tools in SONAR. It takes some work on your part to do that, but there are plenty of available free resources to learn how. Also, you can read a few books on manipulating samples free from your local library. (If your local library doesn't have the books you need, the library can order them for you through the Inter-Library Loan System [ILLS], which is nationwide -- and FREE.)
    post edited by moosetex - 2009/01/23 18:23:04

ASCAP writer, composer, arranger
    CAE/IPI: 346.26.24.66
    AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 3.40 GHz
    16 GB DDR3 1333 SDRAM
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    SONAR X1 Producer
    z1812
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 294
    RE: Software Advice 2009/01/23 10:08:26 (permalink)
    Hi All,

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. So far I am leaning to the Sonar 8 Platinum upgrade. I have listened to some of the E-MU samples included and more than a few interest me.

There is just so much "out there" it becomes hard to make up one's mind.

Regards John
    post edited by z1812 - 2009/01/23 10:09:21
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1