Call me suspicious, but....

Author
VinylJunkie
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 939
2009/01/25 15:09:12 (permalink)

Call me suspicious, but....

I've just received a personal email from a forum member. I won't name him but on checking his profile he apparently signed up in 2005 but hasn't made a single post.

Anyway he was asking for my help. He's upgraded his computer and on installing Sonar has found to his horror that he's 'lost' the Serial Number. He says he registered online though.

So why is he sending me personal emails? ( I'm not replying since I don't want to reveal my email address to someone with no post history.)

Why doesn't he just post his question on the forum? Or contact Cakewalk support?

Kinda makes me suspicious.....or am I being too cynical?

VJ

17 Replies Related Threads

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 15:28:59 (permalink)
    Hi Vyne,

No I think you are right to be suspicious, although like you I can't see the angle, except beyond trying to get a legit serial number for a ripped software installation. In life I have found that even the clever mind of a basically honest person can't see through all permutations of the dogdy individual and the various schemes they pull to gain some advantage over the unwary. Therefore best defence sadly is to be cynical enough to be streetwise without losing the pleasure in helping without expecting anything directly in return.

Cheers

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    sf31454
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 312
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 15:31:48 (permalink)
    Just to be clear, are you worried about the fact that you got this in the first place or whether you reacted appropriately or not? I think most folks would be more concerned about the former rather than the latter...
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 15:58:23 (permalink)
    So why is he sending me personal emails? ( I'm not replying since I don't want to reveal my email address to someone with no post history.)

Why doesn't he just post his question on the forum? Or contact Cakewalk support?

SanFran,

Vyne is asking more than one question here, not just about his reaction, but also about the posters modus operandi and possible motive. Reasonable enough I would have thought?

Kiosk Out

EDIT:typo
    post edited by The Kiosk Project - 2009/01/25 16:03:09

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    SteveJL
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4644
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 16:07:24 (permalink)
    suspicious, but....

Beagle
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 16:13:18 (permalink)
    I get emails from people all the time asking for help. most of the time I'll answer them, but I'll also encourage them to use the forum instead because I can't always think of everything to try.

I think your response is simple - if it makes you uncomfortable, reply and tell him that! if you don't want him to send you an email - then turn that feature OFF in your profile.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    VinylJunkie
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 17:17:06 (permalink)
    Vyne is asking more than one question here, not just about his reaction, but also about the posters modus operandi and possible motive. Reasonable enough I would have thought?

Hi Garry

Exactly - It justed seemed an odd way to get help that's all. I may not have any answers for him - but post it on the forum and someone in the community here will point him in the right direction....

I think your response is simple - if it makes you uncomfortable, reply and tell him that! if you don't want him to send you an email - then turn that feature OFF in your profile.

Hi Beagle

If I was getting bombarded with unwanted emails then yes, I'd turn the feature off. It's not really a case of being uncomfortable - I can just as happily ignore it.... just don't want to reply to someone with no post history as I don't know who I'm really dealing with. It would be entirely different if someone emailed me who I'd struck up a rapport with in the forums.

VJ
    RockStringBender
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 416
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 19:56:49 (permalink)
    Yes , you were correct for being paranoid. I once sent an email and that night while I was out to dinner a reply email came in and stold all of my gear and guitars, right through the ethernet cable. I was pissed I tell ya. Who would have thought that an email response could have done so much damage......

On the other hand, that would have freaked the stuff outta me, and I would have ignored it also.

I wish my lawn was emo..... then it would cut itself.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/25 20:06:49 (permalink)
    I don't understand the problem.

Did he ask you for _your_ serial number?

--kwgm
    lespaulman35
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 467
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 02:21:42 (permalink)
    I wouldn't reply to him at all. He should be smart enough to contact Cakewalk Support or at least use the forum if he has a question. He may just be wanting to verify your e-mail address so he can send you spam.

Gateway GT5228 AMD Athlon 64X2 Processor 4200+ 250 GB Sata II WD Raptor 150 GB Sata II 2048 MB DDR2 Microsoft XP Professional Delta1010LT Audiophile 192 Sonar Producer 8
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 10:18:53 (permalink)
    The chances that this a phishing-hacker attempt at gaining access to your personal computer by sending you a bad email is to great to ignore. If the subject was about anything other than a serial number it might be chalked up to personal embarrasment on the part of the sender. Since it is a well known fact that you can retreive your lost serial # by calling Cakewalk, I would not answer the PM other than through the forum. I would also report it to Cakewalk with as much relevent info. as possible. I have had several bad experiences with my mailbox after answering such PM's.
    ORIGINAL: VinylJunkie

I've just received a personal email from a forum member. I won't name him but on checking his profile he apparently signed up in 2005 but hasn't made a single post.

Anyway he was asking for my help. He's upgraded his computer and on installing Sonar has found to his horror that he's 'lost' the Serial Number. He says he registered online though.

post edited by Crg - 2009/01/26 10:23:53

Craig DuBuc
    Geokauf
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 11:07:53 (permalink)
    I've just received a personal email from a forum member.

Hello,

The answer is so simple. You ignore the message. If there is no reply there can be dialog. You end it right there. Then you go back to your business and don't waste yours and others time speculating on "why" and "what to do." Don't you think?

GK
    post edited by Geokauf - 2009/01/26 11:12:09
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 11:38:39 (permalink)
    I think if people see your name mentioned on the forum, the contact you.. the only way is for them to be a registered forum user.

propellerheads have that sussed better in the sense on their forum,a private / public area.. although I visit their far less for a number of reasons. Your nickname shows up , BUT also what registered products you own in the form of icons, obviously not the serial number etc. So if someone has a problem in the private bit of the forum and it shows they are registered.. then I don't mind so much helping, but even then you could have someone who is registered for 1 thing and uses 3 etc... So even then it's not 100%

I don't mind answering hardware questions as they would have had to have bought the physical product.. which makes me laugh when I see companies have their drivers hidden and you have to register to get them.

very tricky... I've had I guess about 5 people ask me things and you never see them post OR they have a very low post count.. a polite reminder that they paid for tech support when they bought the product and to contact them is the way I go about it. With sonar LE it's an OEM product, so I don't mind so much with that, but thats a one off.

if it's someone who posts a lot and it's really obvious they own the product, then I don't mind helping, BUT normally they are clever enough to suss it out themselves so thats another way to look at it.

I post on products , hardware ones that I don't own and maybe a bit vague but you pick up info on what others have posted who do own the thing. I contacted a few people about a few things none sonar related before, simply because it might be of interest to them. e.g. someone posted about an old computer they used to use years ago, so I posted them a link for an emulator.

it's partly because the small limit on PM's I leave my email on which is part of it.. if it was say 30 or something then I wouldn't.

Vinyl as for "lost" serial numbers.. simple they should have the common sense to contact cake directly or they are trying a little stunt to freeload. If I see posts regarding lost numbers or whatever, I let a friendly baker know who will remain nameless since they are the only ones who have access to the full list.

post edited by Fog - 2009/01/26 11:43:17
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 12:35:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Geokauf

I've just received a personal email from a forum member.

Then you go back to your business and don't waste yours and others time speculating on "why" and "what to do." Don't you think?

GK

I don't imagine most of the people who replied consider it a waste of their time or they wouldn't bother to reply. He is, after all, among friends here.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    VinylJunkie
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 12:52:36 (permalink)
    I don't understand the problem.

Did he ask you for _your_ serial number?

No, he didn't. There is no problem.

The answer is so simple. You ignore the message. If there is no reply there can be dialog. You end it right there. Then you go back to your business and don't waste yours and others time speculating on "why" and "what to do." Don't you think?

GK

Quite right George. I'm not fretting over what to do about it. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

I have had several bad experiences with my mailbox after answering such PM's.

Vinyl as for "lost" serial numbers.. simple they should have the common sense to contact cake directly or they are trying a little stunt to freeload.

Which is why I'm ignoring it. Especially since the forum has seen an increase in spammers trying to flog their wares lately. I'd like to believe this guy is genuine, but as I can't be sure.....

OK thanks guys. Good to know I'm not the only cynical one around here...

VJ
    Gulli05
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 13:03:29 (permalink)
    NEVER ANSWER UNKNOWN E-MAILS OR OPEN ATTATCHMENTS IN OPEN E-MAIL!!!! It is rule 1-1000 on using the internet.

It can do some serious damage.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 14:06:33 (permalink)
    I get unsolicited emails from forum members on a regular basis.

I think some folks are just more comfortable with a one-on-one dialog than they are in the context of a public forum.

I don't mind, and I usually reply to every one of them. As long as it's only one or two a week, it's not a burden. Normally, I'd send a brief reply suggesting the sender contact CW support.

However, in this particular case, I'd simply delete the email without responding. It's not someone you know and not a regular forum contributor.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Call me suspicious, but.... 2009/01/26 14:22:22 (permalink)
    Dave wanna buy a roooooolllex ?

the majority of mails I get are either that or little blue wonder tablets alas since I'm using webmail at the moment, the spam filter isn't so great as back where I usually am.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1