Iron Maiden Tone in Guitar Rig.

Author
DerGeist
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 329
2009/01/26 08:46:06 (permalink)

Iron Maiden Tone in Guitar Rig.

A friend of mine are working on recording Aces High by Iron Maiden. This is a just for fun project to practice recording. Both of us have been playin this song (and most other maiden) for years and we are rarin to go. I used to actually play a version of Aces High on the banjo live until people started to not recogonize it and it went from amusing to confusing.

I get Dave, my friend gets Steve and Adrian. Bruce may sit this one out.

My gear these days is pretty much a stock Tele through a fender twin which is probably not going to get me that maiden sound. I will probably dig out the Les Paul on this one as its as close as I'm likley to get sound wise. I figure due to my "countrish" gear we would be best to use software. My room sounds, mics, etc also blow, so anothe point to the software.

So, I load up guitar rig. Duplicate Dave Murray's gear for the song (as close as I can in GR3) and out comes this sound that while not terrible is not even close the sounds of the song (would have been closer with the twin and the telecaster). I guess was naive to think I could just tell guitar rig what gear I wanted and expect that sound -- in fairness to me that is sort of what they imply the software will do.

Anyway, I know its a long way of asking, but anyone have any thoughts on how to get a good (or even not terribe) maiden sound out of guitar rig?

3 Replies Related Threads

Lay In Wait
    Max Output Level: -57.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1764
    RE: Iron Maiden Tone in Guitar Rig. 2009/01/26 14:49:02 (permalink)
    Getting a Maiden sound has as much to do with guitar harmonies as it does with gear and tone. Unless you know for sure what they used in the studio, its gonna be an uphill battle. Your stock tele will probably be the weak link as they used humbuckers in a strat for the most part.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit, Core i7 920, Asus p6td deluxe, Sonar X1c PE, Motu 2408 mk3, Apogee Mini DAC, 3x UAD-1, Digimax FS, Motu Microlite, MCU, Tranzport, Nocturn. And more...
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Iron Maiden Tone in Guitar Rig. 2009/01/26 21:09:03 (permalink)
    "Bruce gets to sit this one out" -

Shoot me a PM if you want me to sing on it! I don't do the best Bruce ever, but if we're talking about just recording covers for fun, I'll bet I could give you a better than OK showing!!

(My old band used to do a BUNCH of Maiden; at one point, a third of our large set list was Bruce era Maiden (with me singing)...
    post edited by ed97643 - 2009/01/26 21:16:04

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Iron Maiden Tone in Guitar Rig. 2009/01/26 21:16:29 (permalink)
    Also (I should address the original topic...) - borrow a humbucker guitar. That entire album was tracked with twin-humbucking guitars. No way are you going to get very close with a tele single coil (although software emulation can maybe get you in some sort of ballpark). Have fun with it!

[edit to add:] I just re-read your original post stating that you do own a dual humbucker guitar; so you should be OK there.
    post edited by ed97643 - 2009/01/26 21:54:31

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1