Helpful ReplyHOW TO GET HELP - Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION & How to post SCREENSHOTS

Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
2009/01/29 19:32:04 (permalink)

HOW TO GET HELP - Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION & How to post SCREENSHOTS

Hi there

Nothing wastes more time and causes more 'frustration' (and often leads to questions not being replied to at all) than having to post straight back to a question with another question like 'What soundcard are you using', 'What version of Windows do you have' etc...

The general information that will really help out can be listed in your signature space - go to User Control Panel at the top of a forum page, click on the Signature and Comment tab. Once you've typed in the information,  click on Save.

The big benefit of doing this is that your specs will appear automatically at the bottom of every post you make.

Things to list

* The version of Guitar Tracks you're using

* The Operating System (which version of Windows) on your DAW computer (and if it's 32bit or 64bit)

* Your computers processor arrangement and speed

* How much RAM your system has

* The make and model of your soundcard and/or audio interface, and what drivers you're using with them

In the question itself, try to add further information specific to the problem at hand - especially if third party hardware/software is being used.

Too much information is always preferable to too little information.

If you're unsure how to find some of your computer specs, click on Start, right click on My Computer (XP) or Computer (Vista) and choose Properties from the options.

If you are using your computer's built in soundcard, double click on the loudspeaker icon in your system tray (bottom right of your screen, usually by the clock) - this should open the audio mixer, your soundcard's name may appear here.

If it doesn't, follow this pathway: Start > Control Panel (Classic View) > Device Manager and click on the + sign next to Sound, video and game controllers

Screenshots
Finally, if you can't do so already, take 20 minutes or so to learn how to post Screenshots - remember, we can't see what you see. A screenshot overcomes this barrier and will almost certainly get your problem sorted out more quickly.

Here you go, I'll run through how to insert a screenshot such as this:

To take screenshots of what actually appears on your monitor, use the Print Screen/SysRq key - you may have to hold it for a second or two until the image is copied to your clipboard. The cursor may blink rapidly to let you know the screen image has been captured.

You can accomplish the next stage in any number of ways but this is how I find it easiest for me. The screenshot is copied to your clipboard as a PNG file - I like to work with JPG's or GIF's for uploading so first thing I do is paste (Ctrl+V) the image into Paint.net (or Paint) and save it either as a .jpg or a .gif.

You can edit the image in any number of applications - I use Photoshop Elements for more detailed stuff (like blurring the backgrounds of windows etc) but for adding text and arrows I use Paint.net.

Now you have the image you want to use in a post in the forum - the image is displayed by way of a link to it in your post. To these ends, the image must be uploaded to a web site and be given it's own 'address' which the forum software can read by way of the code used.

As my host program, I, and a lot of others here use Photobucket - it's free account is perfect for hosting images that are to be displayed on web pages. To open up a account go to Photobucket

Once you're up and running with Photobucket, use the Upload images & videos button in your album to navigate to the image on your PC that you want to display; when you double click an image it's file name will be loaded into the appropriate field. For multiple image uploads, select them all (holding down the Ctrl button) and then click on Open

When your image has uploaded, left click in the 'Direct Link' field beneath it, then right click to open the drop-down options, now click on Copy to copy the address of the image:

Now, in the post reply window in the forum, click on the Image icon button from the options along the top: 

In the window that opens, use Ctrl+V to paste in the link from your Photobucket album and then click on Insert Image:

One very important point, the images that appear in your posts are not 'really' embedded there - the image has to always be in your Photobucket album and have the same 'address' - if you delete the image in your album, it will also be removed from your post.

Hope this helps - if you have any more questions or need any more information, please post back in this thread.

Steve

post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2011/05/10 09:58:52

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

pistolpete
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1584
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/01/29 20:00:59 (permalink)
To save even more time, please provide the answers to your questions too.

Actually, just the basics will help, OS level, hardware, soundcard, etc.
FingerBone Bill
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 517
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/01/29 23:51:23 (permalink)
Bloody hell Steve - if we gotta do all that it'd be quicker to read the manual!!!

JEEEZ

FingerBone's Music

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/01/30 08:53:31 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FingerBone Bill

Bloody hell Steve - if we gotta do all that it'd be quicker to read the manual!!!

JEEEZ

Well he could have responded with RTFM.....

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

SteveStrummerUK
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/01/30 09:27:56 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Doc_Hollingsworth

JEEEZ

Well he could have responded with RTFM.....

LOL

Oi Bill - RTFPost - seriously, let's be honest, the FM is next to F useless

Anyway, I'll have it known I had a similar post stickied in the Home Studio Forum

Doc_Hollingsworth
Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2289
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/02/03 18:28:45 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
Bump

Doc
MacBook Pro 15.4 Retina (mid 2015)
Focusrite Clarett 8PreX & OctoPre
Logic Pro X 10.2.4/Reason 9.2/Pro Tools 12.7
Long haired dachshund - requisite studio dog (no short hairs need apply - read the sign)

Fog
  • Total Posts : 12302
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/03/17 00:47:35 (permalink)
I really hope thats bungle v1... as bungle v2 wasn't a good upgrade
eyerish
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/03/31 00:53:25 (permalink)
I went to the E-store to buy the MP3 encoder download and when I go to pay for it it says card not authorized try again,so I do, Its says no go again. This time I go to my bank page and Cakewalk has charged me TWICE. On my account history page it does not show the order I did not get the download they NEVER ANSWER THE F**CKING phone and they have not answered the like 30 or 40 emails(literally if not more) why does this company want to take my money. I will have my bank fix it. I still want the mp3 encoder but how do I get it without Cakewalk trying to take more money?
is that revelant enough?
post edited by eyerish - 2009/03/31 04:41:50
FingerBone Bill
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/03/31 00:59:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyerish
...is that revelant enough?

Errrm - yeah but posted in the wrong section!

....but you're Irish- right?

Your first real mistake was paying Cakewalk for an mp3 encoder - they're available free.

Let the bank sort out the refund for you then try this....

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1677399

FingerBone's Music

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
eyerish
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/03/31 01:06:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: eyerish
...is that revelant enough?

Errrm - yeah but posted in the wrong section!

....but you're Irish- right?

Your first real mistake was paying Cakewalk for an mp3 encoder - they're available free.

Let the bank sort out the refund for you then try this....

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1677399

I know its the wrong spot I am posting all over trying to get one of these cakewalk folks to actually notice the problem(yea I know fat chance). I have free ones but I like to keep everything up and up
thanks for the next posting place
Robert
ps I am from Detroit Michigan but I am descended from the glorious Hibernians (Irish)
FingerBone Bill
RE: PLEASE PROVIDE RELEVANT INFORMATION 2009/03/31 01:13:14 (permalink)
Hey Robert - some of my best mates have more than a little green Irish blood in them (come to think of it relatives too ).

The free encoders are mostly legit - there's no advantage to paying for the Cakewalk version apart from the fact that it integrates with GTP3 - your $.

They will get back to you though..........eventually..............probably

FingerBone's Music

SteveStrummerUK
Re:Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION + How to post SCREENSHOTS**UPDATED for new forum softwar 2009/10/04 15:04:44 (permalink)

Updated Post #1 for new forum software 4th October 2009

I'd appreciate it if someone would proofread the new version for me, both for typos etc and any factual errors; something always gets by doesn't it!

Thanks guys

Steve

SteveStrummerUK
Re:Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION + How to post SCREENSHOTS**UPDATED for new forum softwar 2010/01/01 13:14:18 (permalink)
post edited by SteveStrummerUK - 2010/01/01 13:35:19

babalala2010
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION + How to post SCREENSHOTS**UPDATED for new forum softwar 2010/04/20 22:38:21 (permalink)
Do you want to maker your own ringtone? There is the best iphone ringtone maker to help you.
So if you have many special songs,then you can use iphon ringtone maker to do it.
Almost time we have the mp3 files.But don't worry,It easily use mp3 to m4r converter to transfer.

SteveStrummerUK
Re:Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION + How to post SCREENSHOTS**UPDATED for new forum softwar 2010/06/14 18:04:04 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Updated Post #1 for new forum software 4th October 2009

I'd appreciate it if someone would proofread the new version for me, both for typos etc and any factual errors; something always gets by doesn't it!

It did, and it's been changed

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re:Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION + How to post SCREENSHOTS 2011/04/09 08:45:34 (permalink)
I've tried to use that image button to load in the url but it never works for me. It initially loads the pic but after submitting the post it's not there. Most frustrating.

Are there size limits to the pics used? I can't even get on the forum FAQ page to find out, I get some error page instead.

Thanks,
Steve
The Coffee House Band
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 90
Re:Providing RELEVANT INFORMATION + How to post SCREENSHOTS 2013/09/22 15:48:58 (permalink)
TEST
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1