Recurring authorization problems with Superior 2 and EZD

Author
lightninrick
Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 972
2009/02/01 13:29:11 (permalink)

Recurring authorization problems with Superior 2 and EZD

I have Toontracks EZDrummer and Superior 2 installed on my desktop DAW and my laptop. Both run fine on the desktop, which is not internet-connected (and never will be--there are bad people on the internet who like to mess up computers...).

On the laptop, every time I start up either program, I am required to re-authorize. EVERY TIME. That means connecting to Toontrack, de-authorizing the previous authorization, providing the new computer ID that one of the programs has thoughtfully provided (even though the old ID was good enough when it was generated), then collecting the new authorization code and applying it.

Apparently this is a known problem, and is related to one's network card, and in some cases to a VPN (virtual private network) program running on the laptop. Because my laptop is also used for corporate work, there is a VPN on it, and it's not going away.

In my opinion, it is at least careless for a vendor to tie their authorization scheme to a network setup. Certainly no other product I own behaves this way. It's especially careless given that damn few laptop machines are made anymore without a built in wireless card.

I have received instructions from Toontrack on a way to resolve this issue, but the experience of other users on their forum leads me to believe that the VPN in particular may make it unworkable. I'll report later today on whether that's the case.

Did I mention that in my opinion this is extremely careless on Toontrack's part--meaning, literally, that it exhibits an absence of care?

regards, lightninrick

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
Windows 7 64 bit
Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
16 GB RAM

3 Replies Related Threads

lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Recurring authorization problems with Superior 2 and EZD 2009/02/01 13:44:34 (permalink)
    Update: I have discovered that if I start EZD or Superior 2 with my wireless card disabled, the program will start normally.

This is a do-able workaround--not really tops, but do-able. I very rarely use the internet while I run Sonar, and it only takes a moment to shut the wireless card down or start it up again.

It is still a bother, but it's a lot less of a bother than re-authorizing the program every time it starts up.

I stand by my earlier comments that this authorization scheme is both careless and unique among the software vendors whose products I own. To put it another way, it's a very good idea for Toontrack to find another way to protect their intellectual property. Soon.

Regards, lightninrick

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
    16 GB RAM

bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Recurring authorization problems with Superior 2 and EZD 2009/02/02 16:12:39 (permalink)
    I don't use VPN but I do have an internal wireless card and a Sierra USB Wireless NIC (thru AT&T). Neither of these presnt problems with Toontrack (SD2.0 or EZD) in the way you described.
    sven450
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 945
    RE: Recurring authorization problems with Superior 2 and EZD 2009/02/02 19:56:19 (permalink)
    I had a similar problem with my wireless adapter. I talked to Toontracks and they suggested doing two different authorizations: one with wireless card active, one with it inactive/disabled. It worked, and since I only use one DAW, it wasn't a prob. hope that helps.

Sonar Platinum/Bandlab Sonar
    Roland Octa-Capture            
    Win 10 
    i7 6700  16 Gig Ram
    Some songs
    Covers:  https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/covers
    Originals:
     https://soundcloud.com/cygnuss/sets/originals
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1