If you buy it can you sell it?

Author
Gerry
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 861
2009/02/02 06:08:22 (permalink)

If you buy it can you sell it?

Sorry I see this has been addressed on another thread so just ignore this. http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=1521198
Although I can't see a satifactory answer or input from Cake.

Without getting into value for money arguements and I am prepared to accept that it is, can you sell it? My question is based on the fact that Sonar cannot legaly be resold it is a one user licence application. OK for whatever reason in the future you want to sell your V700 can you tansfer the software license with it?

I note that part of the price is getting Sonar 8 in the package even for those who have already purchased it. That means in theory you have purchased two Sonar user licenses and cannot sell either of them. Maybe I am missing something so please enlighten me.

Gerry
post edited by Gerry - 2009/02/02 06:37:17

Those who can't dance always blame the band.
http://www.gerrycooper.com/

25 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/02 11:14:36 (permalink)
    You're quite a futurist Gerry, :-)

I've been thinking of more immediate concerns... if you buy it... and for example; find the round trip latency is too slow for your end users... can you return it?

I have asked several technical questions about the V-studio. The absence of any substantive replies suggests it's going to be a buy an try experience for many users.

I'm wondering if this product is eligible for a satisfaction guarantee return or if it falls under the "software" clause of non returnable goods.

It sure seems like providing answers to the technical questions would offer many people a chance to determine its suitability in a more efficient manner than purchasing a sample just to find out what it can or can not do.

best regards,
    mike

Gerry
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/02 11:30:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

You're quite a futurist Gerry, :-)

I've been thinking of more immediate concerns... if you buy it... and for example; find the round trip latency is too slow for your end users... can you return it?

I have asked several technical questions about the V-studio. The absence of any substantive replies suggests it's going to be a buy an try experience for many users.

I'm wondering if this product is eligible for a satisfaction guarantee return or if it falls under the "software" clause of non returnable goods.

It sure seems like providing answers to the technical questions would offer many people a chance to determine its suitability in a more efficient manner than purchasing a sample just to find out what it can or can not do.

best regards,
    mike

I think Mike I'm a dreamer as you have to buy it before you can sell it :-) Bottom line is that your points are even more valid but can you imagine what a second hand one would be worth? I'm impresssed at what it can do but being an all solution piece of kit is IMHO its major flaw. Not every one wants a Roland V synth, controller and interface in one box but a lot would be looking for anyone of those things seperately. Not everyone wants to stay on one platform for ever either and I assume it is never going to work with anything other than Sonar and on a PC. If that is the case its a lot of money to limit your future options.

Best,

Gerry

Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/02 13:09:05 (permalink)
    can you sell it?

Hello,

The fact that before trying the product you are considering re-sale indicates to me that you (a) are not serious about this purchase and (b) are not even sure whether this product is for you.

GK
    Gerry
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/02 13:49:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Geokauf

can you sell it?

Hello,

The fact that before trying the product you are considering re-sale indicates to me that you (a) are not serious about this purchase and (b) are not even sure whether this product is for you.

GK

That's incorrect anyone who buys something of that value and doesn't consider a residual value has more money than sense. Oh and I'm not so sure if I have seen anyone seriously serious about buying one yet and you are right about one thing, I am not.

The Maillard Reaction
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/02 16:08:49 (permalink)
    FWIW, I am merely asking the very same questions I wish I were knowledgeable to have asked when I purchased the $2800 worth of analog to digital I/O gear that I currently use.

I'm specifically inquiring about details that in my previous experience have all been learned the hard way after realizing I had otpimistically misunderstood the claims that were available from advertisements and the manufacturer's website.

Honestly, at this stage in my life those are questions I require answers too BEFORE I consider purchasing a product.

Should I decide to purchase one or more V-studios systems I could do so immediately and I can pay cash... so I find it particularly curious that there seems to be a general lock down on the distribution of substantive information available for this product... I don't know what more it takes to be deemed "qualified" to be considered a serious customer... maybe it requires a certain naiveté and willingness to be satisfied with a pay first and learn what you bought later type of consumerism... kinda like the situation I found myself in on my last analog to digital equipment purchase.

So, my point is, if I can learn something pertinent about the V-studio... I might consider the idea of buying one. I'm not presently a qualified prospect... but that doesn't mean I'm not eager to consider an upgrade from my current system... that's why I keep asking questions with the intention of learning if the V-studio system is capable of bringing better performance than I have... improvements that I am particularly interested in making on my system are lower round trip latency and trouble free, fully synced, glitch free 16 channels of 26/96 analog to digital input capability. If I can't learn the answers to these two questions I may never be a prospect.

Why is it so hard to learn about this units actual capabilities?

best regards,
    mike

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/02 19:45:47 (permalink)
    I'm seriously going to buy one. Next week I'm building a new desk- DAW workstation just so I can fit the huge console in my limited space which is already full. I'm also waiting for the manual to come online so I can study it. I'm planning on running the ADAT out on the V700 I/O into a 2408 Mk 3 ADAT in adding the eight anolog channels and of the V700 and the synth via ADAT. I will put my Roland keyboard, percussion pad, and GI-20 guitar interface into the V700 both stereo anolog and midi to access the harware synth. Use the USB for midi into Sonar and the ADAT for the anolog side of the instruments.

Craig DuBuc
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/02 21:20:26 (permalink)
    that's seems to be a unique way to intergrate it into a system Craig, I've been thinking of the system as the core of a studio but now I see how you plan to use it and it fascinates me.

best regards,
    mike

Crg
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/03 09:32:37 (permalink)
    I think it should work nicely that way, what do you think?

Craig DuBuc
    The Maillard Reaction
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/03 10:03:09 (permalink)
    I think you are on to something... I'm still unsure of how the control surface and the Converter box connect to the computer... I'm curious if they are fully independant USB connections or if they need to be connected via USB. Somehow the answer to that seems relevant to your intentions.

best regards,
    mike

Crg
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/03 17:35:02 (permalink)
    You can use the console independently of the I/O using USB by setting some dip switchs. ( Stand alone Mode) On this setting you can not connect the I/O or use the headphone 1 & 2 volume knobs on the console. You use the other specialized interconnect cable to connect to the I/O and then use USB from it to the PC for the full intregration. You can also use the I/O as a stand alone synth and I/O.
    ORIGINAL: mike_mccue

I think you are on to something... I'm still unsure of how the control surface and the Converter box connect to the computer... I'm curious if they are fully independant USB connections or if they need to be connected via USB. Somehow the answer to that seems relevant to your intentions.

best regards,
    mike

Craig DuBuc
    Crg
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/03 17:37:26 (permalink)
    Sorry, I didn't mean to run away with your thread here Gerry.

Craig DuBuc
    xpesrx
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/09 13:10:48 (permalink)

Can I sell it?

It's a good question - - we consider the resale value of our houses, cars, etc... why not this stuff. It costs more than my first car!

I would say that you can sell it, just like any other piece of equipment... however, but the time you sell it, the software will be unregisterable to the new owner unless they have their own version of the registered software... So a disadvantage of used equipment... is used software is normally unregisterable.

----------------------------------
    www.ChantelarStudios.com
    www.ReformationProductions.com

MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/10 15:56:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xpesrx
    It's a good question

+1

Software sold as part of an integrated device, like the VS 700, is typically licensed so that it can be transferred with the hardware.

I sure hope that Cakewalk has planned for this and ties the Sonar authorization to a hardware ID in the VS 700.
    Tom F
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2749
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/11 09:17:53 (permalink)
    the 700-whatever its called will be worth 1k used in 3 years - imo its one of the silliest combinations of features seen lately in the audiomarket...it just exceels in average and in a pretty uncreative combination of everthiyng that has been there befor for ages...
    might be thare is a use for it in several niches - but imo its a stillbirth - and i am sure it wont be a concurrent neither to mackie, yamaha, tascam nor anyone else..
    i wouldnt even like to use one if i got it for free (truly)

cheers

PS: and all the usual license stuff - well just another downer

...trying to be polite... quick temper...trying to be...
    gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/16 07:55:46 (permalink)
    The Audio Interface I/O unit is WDM and ASIO over USb and therefore will work with all PC compatable DAW's out there apart from Protools, (because they block anything that they don't make) So this will be usable with Cubase, Ableton, etc

The Control Surface can use the MCU protocol with other DAW's so again Cubase etc. However any functionality (ie ACT part of the surface) that is not in the MCU protocol will be redundant with other DAWS.

I will say it again though, they really should make them available seperately and as a bundle.

I am thinking of building my own studio and starting to hire it out, my ultimate set-up would be the v700 Control Surface, an M-Audio Profire, and 2x Octepre.

This would give me a 24 input Sonar based studio with fully integrated control. Plus I would also be able to run a 16 input Protools rig (Avid limits the pro-fire to 16 inputs, idiots) with MCU control, for the numpties who would insist on using Protools.

However while its still shipping as a bundle, they are losing my business.

If there is anyone out there, who just wants to buy the Audio interface and not the control surface, let me know I would be up for working something out. You can also keep the software license as I already have Sonar 8

G

Gerry
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/16 16:02:53 (permalink)
    Dolphin Music UK has it up for sale at 3,799 GBP which at todays exchange rate is $5,418 now that is a hell of an investment for one piece of kit with a DAW that only works on one platform.

OK let's use the same outlet and buy some individual pieces that certainly will be sellable and that includes the DAW.

Cubase 5 (No crossgrade or upgrade) 499
    Yamaha KX61 keyboard controller 219
    MR816CSX firewire Interface 999
    CC121 Avanced Integrated controller 349
    Yamaha Motif Rack XS 1,149.95

OK this bundle is not the same as a VS-700 but its still one hell of a bundle and certainly has a reasonable residual value or put another way if for whatever reason you need to sell something to rase some money you have five options and not one. Total price for all five is 2,215.95 GBP that's $3,158.

Bottom line you have 1,583.05 GBP or $2,257 change in your pocket, a package of 5 items that can all be sold seperately and yes with a reasonable residual value. My opinion is that until Cakewalk splits this thing up into seperate units its going to be strictly for the pro-studios or those where money is no real object.

Please note I am not knocking it for what it is just question the wisdom of having everything in one/two boxes that ties you into a one platform DAW that you cannot resell.

MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/16 16:42:14 (permalink)
    Gerry,

You make a good point, but a single fader control surface like the CC121 isn't even close to being comparable to the VS-700 surface.
    Gerry
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/16 17:36:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: MurMan

Gerry,

You make a good point, but a single fader control surface like the CC121 isn't even close to being comparable to the VS-700 surface.

I did say that the comparison was lose but believe me I could have taken off the CC121 and thrown in a mixer and still walked away with a lot of change. I'm just illustrating that that kind of money buys a lot of desirable equipment that can if necessary be sold off seperately. Now that may be important for some and not for others and obviously for some money is not an issue any more than residual values are. I respect the opinion of those who think the VS-700 is an extremely desirable and value for money piece of kit and would not argue. My opinion is that it is a bit of blue elephant but I have no problem in being wrong on that. Now who said Time will tell ?

Gerry

gordonrussell76
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1879
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/19 08:42:24 (permalink)
    I think tahts an unfair kit comparison, plus Cubase and Yammy stuff is sucky, so there
    Gerry
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/19 09:02:52 (permalink)
    Yeh Right

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/19 22:32:03 (permalink)
    Sounds freak### complicated!

I'm not getting one until it's available in British Racing Green... and that's Sept. 2010 I heard.
    MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/02/19 22:36:24 (permalink)
    Oh, I forgot, regarding the original post.....

If you can buy it Gerry, I can sell it. Just hand it over to me and I'll get yer a fair price for it gov. Sell it dan at the market on Saturday for y' I will. No knock off 'ere luv, just the genuine article me darlin' software included, ready t' go, just like new! who'll give me 20 then?

post edited by MemphisJo - 2009/02/19 22:41:43
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/03/19 18:39:27 (permalink)
    fireface 800
    Mackie controller pro
    I feel is better
    aoresteen
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/03/30 14:35:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Gerry

...... My question is based on the fact that Sonar cannot legaly be resold.......

Gerry

I don't understand. What law prevents you from selling it? What makes it 'illegal'?

Of course you can sell it. Once bought it is yours to do with what you like. The issue is will CW support the new owner? CW is silent on that.

But there is nothing illegal about selling something that you bought. I'd like to hear CW respond to this.

Tony
    Intel Core 2 Quad 3.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Win XP Pro SP3
    Sonar PE 8.5
    Dual Acer 22" Monitors
    Alesis QSR, E-MU Proteus 2000 & lots of guitars
    Newnan, GA 30265
    jinga8
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5817
    RE: If you buy it can you sell it? 2009/04/01 00:46:53 (permalink)
    What makes it 'illegal'?

Cakewalk claim they sell you a non-transferable license to use Sonar. So you don't own the product, just the "right" to use the license. Pretty standard with software, and pretty lame. You are right. If you buy something, its yours. Fancy language to protect "intellectual property" and such is just pathetic. I don't blame Cakewalk, I blame the culture of greed and 'I made that, I'm so great, you can use it under these conditions but its really mine, mine, mine!"
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1