Is this legit (after firing)?

Author
Susan G
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 12016
2009/02/02 13:45:38 (permalink)

Is this legit (after firing)?

Hi-

The company I worked for just had to let a whole bunch of people go, and although my manager said he'd help me in any way he could (references, etc.) I'm wondering if it's legit to ask him for a letter of recommendation or reference now, since frankly I don't know how long the company will be able to stay afloat under the current economic circumstances.

Has anyone else done this or been asked to provide a reference "before the fact", so to speak? Is the date of the recommendation apt to be a problem? I don't want to lose contact with him before I get another job, since I know he would speak very highly of me!

Thanks-

-Susan

2.30 gigahertz Intel Core i7-3610QM; 16 GB RAM
Windows 10 x64; NI Komplete Audio 6.
SONAR Platinum (Lexington) x64

24 Replies Related Threads

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 14:16:26 (permalink)
    Absolutely! If I were in your shoes I'd ask him to go ahead and write a letter of recommendation now on company letterhead with contact information listed on it for him and for the company! And I would go ahead and provide that with a resume IF the company you're applying to allows it.

I wouldn't think the date would be a problem since it corresponds to your lay-off time anyway.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 14:34:23 (permalink)
    Yeah... I agree.... do all you can to look out for yourself.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rodar6
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 14:46:22 (permalink)
    Hey Susan,

My opinion is that I would say 'No' to you asking for a reference at this moment for a number of reasons.

1) If you ask for a reference then this will make it easier for them to show you the door, as you are completing part of the departure task yourself through willingness.
    2) If you are made redundant (which is not being sacked/fired) or the company go into receivership, they will still have the time and resources to write your reference.
    3) If you get another job thats great, all parties will be happy and you'll still get a reference.

My little contribution. What area of work are you in, if you don't mind me asking ?

Rodders

"Expert in novice advice"  

Sonar PE 8.5.1 (pre -5,6,7,8) - Logic Pro Studio 9.1.6 - Windows 7 32bit - Mac OSX Snow Leopard - MacBook Pro 13" i7Core 2.7GHz Sandy Bridge, 8Gb Ram, Intel 520 SSD - Edirol UA-25 - Blue Woodpecker Ribbon - Rode NT5 Condenser - Shure SM57 --- Fender 52 AVRI Telecaster LH - Ovation Special Balladeer LH.     
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 14:56:23 (permalink)
    I was thinking you were in the group that was let go...I misunderstood........ so I would revise slightly...

I'd work hard and keep your friends close and be networking , and keeping your eyes and ears open for company news and also for other job opps, so that should you be let go in a "downsizing" you can count on a letter of reference.... but like Rodders said...I'd hold off on asking for that letter.....unless.... your boss tells you that the company is shutting down or that you are in the next group to be laid off shortly...as in "it's happening next week".....

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 18:53:21 (permalink)
    rodar brings up some good points. it depends a lot on your relationship with your boss. if you know for almost certain they'll help you out (i.e., you are friends) then there's not much risk getting your recommendation now. but if you have only a casual relationship with them, and your knowledge of the company's financial situation is based more in rumor than fact, then you could be jumping the gun and showing your hand.

unfortunate that you have to think of things that way but that is how it is in most places. i would keep the references on your resume until the company actually folds. then you can replace your boss's work info with their personal contact info if they are genuinely going to help you. be up front with your perspective employer during the interviews and you shouldn't have a problem.

remember that you are the little guy. companies can liquidate and the officers can typically start over somewhere else. you don't need to do them any favors.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 19:41:28 (permalink)
    I agree - I misunderstood - I thought you were already in the group that had been let go. if that's not the case, then I would NOT ask for a letter of recommendation yet.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 19:42:58 (permalink)
    Susan, ask away! Just ask him/her to not date the letter. No problems then.

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 20:10:15 (permalink)
    Recomendations are good forever in your resume of life.

Craig DuBuc
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/02 20:32:16 (permalink)
    Susan, it's the old office politics and without anyone knowing how where you work is tricky to say. I would look for work elsewhere IF there is a hint they might be laying off more people. It's tricky in this climate which ever country your in. Also the person saying that to you could be testing the water, to see your reaction, again that depends on if they are genuine or there is an ulterior motive.

I would perhaps take some middle ground.as jack said about getting even a none work related email address from the person. So your not asking them for a reference, just to keep in touch.

Rodders make some very good points.. but maybe employment law differs a tad from us in the uk in ways I guess.

being fired and being made redundant are 2 very different things though, so it's confusing you mention both.

if you are on contract work , then well a contract is a contract for a set period of time etc.

post edited by Fog - 2009/02/02 21:30:47
    Susan G
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 01:02:46 (permalink)
    Hi All-

Very sorry not to have been more clear -- I *was* let go, so the subject should've said "after being fired"!

I think I'll go ahead and ask my former supervisor for a letter of recommendation anyway, based on some comments here.

Thanks!

-Susan

bluclue
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 01:57:26 (permalink)
    Susan,

Gosh to be FIRED-------whew------but if you were on good terms with your supervisor I see no reason why he/she would not give you a good recommendation----but then on the other hand they can be good to your face and then stab you in the back. Hope you did not do anything wrong because that can follow you on to your next job if your supervisor knows why---------

How long were you at this place of employment?? (if you dont mind my asking)

Hang in there

Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 05:04:30 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear this Susan. :(

It can be stressful and disorienting. So pamper yourself for a couple of days. Really!

Hang in there and stay healthy.

And definitely ask for a letter of recommendation!
    artsoul
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1985
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 06:52:46 (permalink)
    Just to echo the comments, I am sorry to hear you have been let go Susan
    auto_da_fe
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1866
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 09:19:32 (permalink)
    Susan;

Sorry to hear the bad news.

In many cases only your company's HR department can provide a letter.

In most cases the letter will simply say re-hireable or not re-hireable. Especially in the super law suit happy US, many companies are very hesitant to supply anything beyond this. (large corporations especially)

So if your immediate supervisor won't do it, don't be surprised and do not take it personally.

What I have done is told people to have people call me for a recommendation and then I do not have write anything down and risk losing my job.

Fun, huh ??

JR

HP DV6T - 2670QM, 8 GB RAM,
    Sonar Platypus,  Octa Capture, BFD2 & Jamstix3, Komplete 10 and Komplete Kontrol
    Win 10 64 
    SLS PS8R Monitors and KRK Ergo
    https://soundcloud.com/airportface
    Susan G
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 13:53:45 (permalink)
    Hi-

Thanks, all! [For some reason, I'm not getting e-mails from this thread, even though I'm subscribed, which is why I'm late in responding.]

No, I didn't do anything wrong. This was a wide-spread "letting go" of more than two-thirds of the employee base due to poor sales figures. It's a POS ("Point-of-Sale", not the other obvious acronym translation, though some might dispute that!) software company, and with the current state of the US economy, small businesses and restaurants have been failing at an alarming rate. Understandably, the last thing on their minds is a new hardware/software purchase.

I was there for about 2-1/2 years, and there's no HR department. I haven't yet, but I'll go ahead and ask my supervisor for a letter.

Thanks again-

-Susan

Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 18:11:10 (permalink)
    If hwon't give you one , forge one or accuse him of incompetence. Just kidding.
    ORIGINAL: Susan G

Hi All-

Very sorry not to have been more clear -- I *was* let go, so the subject should've said "after being fired"!

I think I'll go ahead and ask my former supervisor for a letter of recommendation anyway, based on some comments here.

Thanks!

-Susan

Craig DuBuc
    jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 19:34:05 (permalink)
    [For some reason, I'm not getting e-mails from this thread, even though I'm subscribed, which is why I'm late in responding.]

welcome to the new and improved coffee house. no religion, politics or subscriptions (after all, what else is there to talk about?)

No, I didn't do anything wrong. This was a wide-spread "letting go" of more than two-thirds of the employee base due to poor sales figures. It's a POS ("Point-of-Sale", not the other obvious acronym translation, though some might dispute that!) software company, and with the current state of the US economy, small businesses and restaurants have been failing at an alarming rate. Understandably, the last thing on their minds is a new hardware/software purchase.

I was there for about 2-1/2 years, and there's no HR department. I haven't yet, but I'll go ahead and ask my supervisor for a letter.

sorry to hear you were let go. keep in touch with your supervisor as you look for new work in case they are also let go, so you can update their contact info.

- jack the ex-cynic
    foxwolfen
    • Total Posts : 8256
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 21:40:51 (permalink)
    First off, do not ever say that you were fired to any perspective employer... the first impression (the one that lasts) will be that you had a disciplinary action taken, punitive measures for some offense.

You were laid-off. Huge difference.

By all means get your letter. Get (demand) everything you can... there are no friends in this... (unless you think the company will recall you at some point). Make sure you were given both full notice (as applicable by state and federal law, typically 30 days) and proper severance compensation. Find out if they are providing re-training financial assistance.

Cheers
    Shad

A scientist knows more & more about less & less till he knows everything about nothing, while a philosopher knows less & less about more & more till he knows nothing about everything.

Composers Forum
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 21:58:39 (permalink)
    So pamper yourself for a couple of days. Really!

+1

Just remember a few of those things that you wished you were able to spend time doing all the time you were devoting yourself to yer duties. And do 'em!!!

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/03 22:46:03 (permalink)
    I could have sworn I posted an insightful message here.

Yes ask for the recommendation now. As time passes, his memories will too. Strike while the iron is hot. But dont strike him with an iron. Use a putter.

There is nothing wrong with asking all you can right now. Particularly if you were laid off. And be sure and get his personal email incase the company has further issues.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Susan G
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/04 18:11:22 (permalink)
    Well, here's my [tentative] request. Is the tone too mild/aggressive/what? Never done this before!

[I hope you're doing well, blah, blah...]
    I'd very much appreciate a letter of recommendation when you have a minute. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, of course, just a brief note I can present to prospective employers.

Thanks-

-Susan

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/04 18:45:28 (permalink)
    I would omit the blah blah part but otherwise

And it never hurts to say "I really enjoyed the challenges presented as I _____ (determined the sex of baby chickens, harvested emu eggs, mapped out the entire human genome, traveled to IO), and working with a group of __________ (conceited lying a-holes, professional wrestlers, child abusing drug addicts, rocket scientists, cat jugglers) has prepared me for _______ (mental institution, a lobotomy, a life of silence with no contact with other humans, the next supreme ruler of man...).

You get the picture.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/04 19:51:19 (permalink)
    I'm a little late to the thread, and it looks like it's been covered but I thought I'd add...

My company's been through 2 big layoffs in the past 5 years or so. Each time, managers bent over backwards to write letters of recommendation, get portfolio pieces together and help in people-networking/job-hunting. So it is most certainly legit to ask for a letter of recommendation from a former manager. Also, my wife was laid off last year and her manager gave her a good letter of recommendation.

Now, the official policy of my company's HR dept. is that we can only say "yes, the person worked here for such and such dates" and not say anything about performance. But it's not enforced. I really loved working with the people who got laid off, and I'm most definitely going to talk them up if someone calls for a reference.
    stratcat33511
    Max Output Level: -39 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3636
    RE: Is this legit (after firing)? 2009/02/06 13:45:24 (permalink)

Well, here's my [tentative] request. Is the tone too mild/aggressive/what? Never done this before!

[I hope you're doing well, blah, blah...]
    I'd very much appreciate a letter of recommendation when you have a minute. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, of course, just a brief note I can present to prospective employers.

Thanks-

-Susan

I would say something like
    "would it be possible to get a letter ..."

get it soon
    HTH

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1