Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ?

Author
space_cowboy
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9813
2009/02/03 21:25:39 (permalink)

Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ?

I have most of the expansion packs for EZ (need funk and jazz - maybe, but I don't really use a couple I already have). There are just times when I want the snare to sound different, or the kick needs a bit more ummppphhh where i do a bunch of processing to get it there.

So Superior - worth the upgrade?

I have Battery. It is good, no doubt. But there is something easy about EZD, even though I never keep the EZ D patterns in my stuff.

So If I am going to take a boom-chick track and turn it in to a bada-bing bada-boom every time, I know I can do that with EZ. I do it a lot because frankly DFH and Nashville sound really good.

How does S2 stack out? Is it able to use the sounds from the EZ packs?

Thanks

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!

16 Replies Related Threads

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/03 22:19:13 (permalink)
    This is a hard call. The short answer might very well be, no. If you use a multitrack feed from EZD into Sonar, and use your own outboard plugs (like your UADs) on individual drum tracks you may not find Superior 2.0 that beneficial. I have to admit that I didn't (and, still. sometimes don't). If, however, we launched an all-out surprise attack right now on the Russkies we stand a darn good chance of catchin' em with their pants down...no...wait...er...if, however, you like to preview your midi files and have the ability to load whichever you want from several different drum sources...OR...you want one single interface (with it's own plugs...which are very good) to load and run all your EZXs from...even mix and matching from different ones in the same kit...then Superior is the only way to go. I still find myself using EZD for alot of stuff. But I would not be without the flexability that Superior 2.0 gives me when It's really important and I don't let myself be the lazy assed bum I truly am. YMMV.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/03 22:26:14 (permalink)
    my ol pal
    with the yeller fro
    I use 7 outs on my EZ setup
    Kick - mono
    Snare - mono
    Hats - mono
    Toms - pair
    Overheads - pair
    Room - pair
    Compressed room - pair

With the pans set to center on the mono tracks and me settin them up properly on the mixer in Sonar. I use my UADs (and the occasional TC PoCo reverb for a snare) on most of it - Transient Thingy and 88s on kick, 88s and a verb on snare.... you get the picture. It is just sometimes I feel like I am using the eq too much to get the snare sound or the kick sound I want. I dont like to boost or cut 20 db at a whack. It makes things sound funny.

BTW - you can't let him in here. He'll see the big board.

I gotta say that I like the sounds in the EZ collection a bit better than those in Battery. I think it is partially bringing up the room or compressed room mics to give that thunderclap newman - wait - that thundering john bonham type of sound.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/03 23:17:39 (permalink)
    BTW My ol pal
    I put the drums all to one buss and really slam them with the Fairchild. I try to get that needle kicking 3-5 db and usually set the gain up on 8, so I have to throttle back the outputs. I love whatever it is that the Fairchild does to drums - reals or ezs.

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/03 23:58:55 (permalink)
    Well, Superior gives you a ton of flexability in mixing and matching elements (read individual drum pieces) from any of your EZX packs. You can quite literally build your own custom kits. Plus the mixing and tweaking inside S2 is great. That said if you own all the EZXs you can do quite well with just the EZD interface. BUT...if you want Jon Bonham...check out my "The Silence is Deafening" (I know, you've already heard it) THAT is the Addictive Drums package which is much more "old school" (especially with the "Retro Pack"). Will the buying never end?? And now Eric Persing is making me salivate and be on tenterhooks for Trillian and the RMX upgrade. My nocturn should arrive tomorrow. Somebody stop me...
    post edited by yorolpal - 2009/02/04 00:04:34

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    space_cowboy
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 07:50:15 (permalink)
    my ol pal
    one thing you and i share for shure is the jones for gear.

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 07:51:26 (permalink)
    Will the buying never end??
    No, not till March which is the scheduled release date for the second New York legacy series.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 08:31:30 (permalink)
    I have been using Superior now for a couple of months. It is a great-sounding set of drums with a powerful set of tools, and it creates very realistic-sounding performances. However, it's also a much more complex instrument than EZD--to take one relatively simple example, in order to get the most out of Superior, you need to know something about mixing room ambience. Superior also puts a much bigger load on your system in terms of memory, CPU, etc. My desktop machine has 3 GB of memory, and Superior takes up 580 MB of that when it loads.

If you use EZD's full set of outputs, and follow some of the tips in this Forum from guys like middleman, you can get very solid performances out of EZD as well--not quite as detailed as Superior, but plenty good enough for most stuff, and with less effort and knowledge required. EZD really is E-Z. When I'm in a hurry--which is most of the time--I can count on EZD to produce a solid drum track fast.

If you're mixing percussion sets and instruments from different sources, then you might want to consider EZPlayer Pro on its own. But at $49 for EZPlayer standalone, you might think it wiser to buy the full upgrade to Superior.

Bottom Line: I wouldn't buy Superior unless you're ready to spend some time learning how to operate it effectively.

I discuss these issues at greater length in my review of Superior at traxmusic.org.

Regards, lightninrick

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
    16 GB RAM

strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 10:42:58 (permalink)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    He's right

I like it but it'll take a while to learn how to get the best use out of it, which is the only reason to upgrade to it.
    You can alter every minute detail of it, which again is the major reason for having it. It has different feel than EZ Drummer.

A lot of what's in it can be done via your DAW.
    I like using EZ Player Pro that comes with it.

Some stuff didn't appear when I installed it and I still don't know if I've got it all and if it's all in the right place.
    It'll all come out in the wash.

It seems pricey as an upgrade but they've no choice because of the price for any other buyers.
    lightninrick
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 972
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 10:51:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

How does S2 stack out? Is it able to use the sounds from the EZ packs?

Thanks

Yes.

Regards, lightninrick

Sonar X3 and 8.5.3 
    Windows 7 64 bit
    Digitech RP360XP/Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Studio Cat Pro laptop i7
    16 GB RAM

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 11:21:00 (permalink)
    Never owned E-Z so can not comment.

I do like my SD-2 but as said already you do need to take sometime to get your head around it.

March eh Mod, dam have to scrap up some cash from somewhere

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    strikinglyhandsome1
    Max Output Level: -3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7224
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 11:25:21 (permalink)
    They made me buy it ^^^^^^^^
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 16:08:06 (permalink)
    March eh Mod, dam have to scrap up some cash from somewhere
    I've been told that you only have to eat every other day.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    mlockett
    Max Output Level: -54.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2099
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 16:47:55 (permalink)
    I have both... my 2 cents...

SD2 can give you much more natural drums sounds than EZ. Besides most EZ kits being moderately processed, SD2 supports positional sensing on the snare (for kits built for it like Avatar), gives you control of the envelop for chokes, more extensive control over bleeds, and various other features that can support a more natural sound. OTOH, if you are mainly mixing pop music, this extra "tweakability" might just be an extra headache with little payoff.

IMO EZ is easier to use, but not a whole lot, since you don't have to tweak the details if you don't want to.

If you're a Microsoft guy, use EZ; if you're more of a Linux guy, use SD2. :-)
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 16:48:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

I've been told that you only have to eat every other day.

That would make my doctor happy

There is also a how factor, how do I justify as I just bought a Fendat Strat, Ash with birdseye maple Seymour Duncan PU's and a Crafter SA-Bubinger sweet.

Look like I will have to cut down just once evry third day.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    space_cowboy
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 16:51:20 (permalink)
    Wookie
    There is a simple solution but it requires moving to the US.

You just get a political appointment - you get away without paying taxes - it is like making 30-50% more money. Voila - Instant Raise!

stratton
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1446
    RE: Superior Drummer 2.0 users - worth the upgrade from EZ? 2009/02/04 18:17:33 (permalink)
    In terms of fidelity, I think the EZ Nashville kit steals the show. On occasion I actually bring in those snares and cymbals to an S20 project.

However, somehow the S20 just rocks more convincingly, at least more modern rock, than the EZ stuff.

I have Vintage, Nashville and Claustrophobic EZXs, as well as S20. Claustro doesn't see much action, but the other three are in regular rotation depending on the needs of the project.

Buy it! Highly recommended.

Edit: The Jazz Kit sounds gorgeous! I love the demos on TT's site.
    post edited by stratton - 2009/02/04 18:22:49
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1