unfragmentable sample drive?

Author
garyyota
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 85
2009/02/05 22:31:39 (permalink)

unfragmentable sample drive?

I just installed Ivory Grand Pianos on my computer a couple days ago, today I went to defragment the drive that the samples are on and it shows that it has terrible fragmentation going on. So I defrag, and it says it can't defrag the samples.

What in the world is going on? Should I just not worry about it? I thought maybe I could transfer the files to another drive and back, don't know if that would make any difference or not.....

6 Replies Related Threads

FastBikerBoy
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 11326
    RE: unfragmentable sample drive? 2009/02/06 03:05:54 (permalink)
    Are you using the Windows defrag tool? If so you may find there are limitations such as not being able to move cluster sizes larger than 4 kb. Having said that unless you've messed around with that sort of thing which is highly unlikely and you'd know if you had, NTFS clusters are 4kb anyway so that won't be an issue.

You will also need some spare HD space for it to be able to work. Around 15% is a figure I've seen quoted.

In theory if you copy that drive to a clean drive and then format the drive and copy it back the files should go on fairly unfragmented. Fragmentation only happens when the OS starts hunting around for free space. One of the pluses for partitioning is you have at least a little say over what physically goes where on a drive., but if it's a drive just used for samples there's no point partitioning but if your OS for example is on there, I'd certainly consider it.
    ew
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1837
    RE: unfragmentable sample drive? 2009/02/06 10:28:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: FastBikerBoy

You will also need some spare HD space for it to be able to work. Around 15% is a figure I've seen quoted.

Correct- it's actually 12% for defragging, though. For other system tasks, Windows needs at least 15% free space on the drive, and likes to see at least 25% free space.

ew
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: unfragmentable sample drive? 2009/02/06 16:10:48 (permalink)
    There are better choices for defragging your drive than the Windows tool --

Check out these three:

UltraDefrag

Defraggler Dowload -- Defrag one folder at a time

IOBits Smart Defrag -- fully featured

--kwgm
    craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    RE: unfragmentable sample drive? 2009/02/15 16:29:16 (permalink)
    A friend of mine told me about Power Defragmenter and it's awesome. After you get it going, it does its work in a DOS window. It does it fast and it doesn't complain about not having enough free space.

Here's the link: http://power-defragmenter-gui.en.softonic.com/

Oh yeah, and it's free.
    wormser
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: unfragmentable sample drive? 2009/02/15 18:39:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: garyyota

I just installed Ivory Grand Pianos on my computer a couple days ago, today I went to defragment the drive that the samples are on and it shows that it has terrible fragmentation going on. So I defrag, and it says it can't defrag the samples.

What in the world is going on? Should I just not worry about it? I thought maybe I could transfer the files to another drive and back, don't know if that would make any difference or not.....

Ivory really should be on it's own drive (the fastest one) and not even on a multiple partitioned drive.
    That being said, I use Diskeeper 2008 in "on demand mode" for my system.
    You can copy the files to another drive, format the fragmented drive and then copy the files back.
    Ideally they should be the first things you install.

Ivory does not tolerate fragmentation well and will give slow disk errors, clicks and pops when this happens.
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    RE: unfragmentable sample drive? 2009/02/17 05:10:58 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: garyyota

Is it really mentioning the samples, not the sample-HDD or directory? It sounds like a really bad fragmentation problem if the individual sound samples are shattered all over.
    I don't remember ever hearing about such (but I can't say I know much about these things)?

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1