Band dynamics - would this make you mad?

Author
dlogan
Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2544
2009/02/09 10:02:05 (permalink)

Band dynamics - would this make you mad?

Okay, I'm trying to not let this make me mad, but it's not working, so I thought I'd get some input from you guys and see what you think...

I joined our church band the first of this year playing bass. The guy who had been playing bass for the last several years quit because he didn't live too close and going to practice every Tuesday and then playing on Sundays was too much of a time commitment. So I took over, and he is still going to fill in for me every so often when I'm out of town or something.

Well the band is getting ready to record a CD, and I just found out this morning through an e-mail that the previous bass player wants to be involved in the recording, so he's going to do some songs and I'm going to do some.

My first reaction was I'm the bass player now, not him, but what really kinda ticked me off is finding out through an e-mail. But the band is not a democracy - there is a band leader and she calls the shots. He obviously put in several years with the band and I've put in a little over a month. Just rubbed me the wrong way...

I know if a "normal" band this would probably be a bigger deal, and maybe that's what I need to realize is that it's not...

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone

19 Replies Related Threads

No How
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5180
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 10:06:26 (permalink)
    It would indeed make me mad...but....

Do you really want to hear what i think?

Given the environment of turning the other cheek i would say to honor the leader's role and bite the bullet....I guarantee it will work to your benefit later down the road. It's a law as sure as gravity.

Good luck with it...it won't be easy.
    post edited by No How - 2009/02/09 10:08:52

s o n g s

– Beauty lodged in a bad hotel has no value.  Raymond Lull
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 10:41:20 (permalink)
    Tell her you understand the reasons but it was a piss-poor way to handle the situation. She's the band leader, not dictator or czar. And to notice you are sending your complaint to her only, not the band and the whole church.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 11:33:33 (permalink)

thats a tough spot for both sides to be in. looking at the information
    it appears hes stepping down from the responcibility but once
    a CD is in the making he wants to be "back in" for the
    "glory" no pun intended.

however church bands are a subject in itself too. this may be
    slightly off topic but it seems that a church band has issues to
    concider.

what if every one wanted to play in the band?
    what if many of the "want to players" were not very good?
    what if a good player wanted to play but wasnt allowed to?

and the number of questions and isues could go on forever.

one local church here has about three to four differrent bands
    and they rotate. having one person call the shots is both good
    and bad sometimes too. good when it keeps things together
    but not so good when it others have no say so in whats best
    for the situation.

getting the news through email? was it from the leader or hearsay?
    from the leader is ok. a call would be better. do you deserve to be
    mad? what you really desreve is to be treated with kindness, respect
    and appritiation.

thats puts both you and the other guy in the area of "love thy neihber"
    i can sure relate to how some people feel sometimes. however
    its sometimes a live with it or leave it subject.

here is an example in the secular band world. I played in a band
    owned all the P A gear hauled it around in my truck and trailer for the
    gigs. got payed nothing for my expence. had little to no say so in
    the bands desisions.

my wife at the time was the lead singer. she had an afair with a
    guitar player in another band and left. the ban eventualy broke up.
    allthough this is far extreme in its comparison. it work out to be
    the best thing that ever happened to me.

im not involved in that me my world anymore "as far as bands
    and members go" wait it out and try to see where it goes. think of
    yourself for your willingness to be a part and contribute. but not
    let others dictate your feeling of self worth. which is what is sort of is.

id say if they confronted you and said can we let this other guy play
    too on the cd and get our feelings about it you probably say "sure"
    because you would feel like your feelings matter.

thats what this seems to be about . love care,respect and
    communication. do you deserve to be mad yes and no. but
    it aint just about him playing on the cd i dont think.

if it were me id say sure. maybe my feelings might be hurt
    but im only human too you know. ill sum it up the the wise words
    of the post from

no how

It would indeed make me mad...but....

Do you really want to hear what i think?

Given the environment of turning the other cheek i would say to honor the leader's role and bite the bullet....I guarantee it will work to your benefit later down the road. It's a law as sure as gravity.

Good luck with it...it won't be easy.

jimmy

dlogan
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 11:45:31 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for your advice and Jimmy for sharing your story. The more I've thought about it, the band leader is really a non-confrontational person. When the old bass player asked her, she probably felt she couldn't say no. Then mentioning it in an e-mail to me was probably easier for her. So should she have handled it differently? I think so and it seems like there's some agreement. But I guess I'll put my ego in check for the greater good. But for other examples of how the band dynamics are working in this situation, the band leader picks the songs we play each week, picked the songs we're doing on the CD, etc. There is really pretty limited input from others in the band, even the ones who have been playing in it for years.

I've worked with some musicians that I was helping out with some recordings but really kept on the producer hat and looked at it as their songs, not mine, even though I was really contributing to them as much as they were. I guess that's the mindset I need to keep here that it's not really "my" band, I'm just the bass player, because "it is what it is" and I'm not going to change it - I need to learn to be okay working in that arrangement or move on.

Dave

www.soundclick.com/steakbone
    spacey
    • Total Posts : 8769
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 12:35:34 (permalink)
    Dave it seems to me that if the bass player would have come to you and asked your feelings about him wanting to do some parts on the CD you'd said sure that'd be great. My personal advice is don't let the mistakes of others manipulate you. If you don't like emails let people know. If you think the other bassist should have been considerate of your feelings, mention it to him. People make little mistakes and may not know if there is no communication.

Regards,
    Michael

Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 13:03:34 (permalink)
    But I guess I'll put my ego in check for the greater good.
    I think you learned the lesson that you were supposed to learn from this situation. Good for you. I've learned that there is only one superstar on Sunday and I ain't him.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 13:08:05 (permalink)
    on the CD you'd said sure that'd be great. My personal advice is don't let the mistakes of others manipulate you. If you don't like emails let people know. If you think the other bassist should have been considerate of your feelings, mention it to him. People make little mistakes and may not know if there is no communication.
    There is great truth in that. I've seen relationships lost because someone didn't know when they were going across an unknown boundary with another person.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 16:02:12 (permalink)
    Dave I think it would irritate me more than make me angry. But it leads to other questions: when does he play, when do I play? What happens when the material he works on and the material I work on are scheduled for the same night? I had a similar situation about 5 years ago sitting in with a buddy's band: I would inadvertently do parts that belonged to another guitarist/vocalist. Well, have fun no matter how it works out.

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 16:42:22 (permalink)
    Hi Dave,

Yeah handled badly by the others I think, some people don't like confrontation and go for the line of least resistance, causing problems further down the line. Regardless of how he got there, the other bass player should not be muscling his way back into the "glory" gig, I wouldn't do it, and I wouldn't expect it to be done to me. In all these cases though Dave, standing up for yourself will just upset the dynamics even more and potentially backfire on you. I wouldn't worry about it, enjoy the recording gig, offer him your interest, help and full support, I think it will pay dividends in the future.

Peace Love and Understanding

Garry Kiosk

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/09 21:31:22 (permalink)
    The previous musician was in the band for YEARS; you have been in the band for a MONTH.

Sux that you learned of the "CD co-habitation" via e-mail, but... in the scheme of things, the previous bassist is WAAAY more vested in this group than you are. They have real history. Be gracious and appreciative that you get to play SOME tracks on the CD; seriously, it is an honor.

Best to all involved,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Marah
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 975
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 00:24:43 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AT

Tell her you understand the reasons but it was a piss-poor way to handle the situation. She's the band leader, not dictator or czar. And to notice you are sending your complaint to her only, not the band and the whole church.

@

oh i like that.
    wilson_inc
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 219
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 02:00:30 (permalink)
    to answer your question
    would this make you mad? at first "YES"
    but maybe step back and reflect on it.

it's a social church group recording.
    Lend your talent and play a supporting role
    your recording experirence in "Sonar" may come into play with the mixing and Mastering process.
    with your EARS and input
    there's many people involved,in many "Ways" in a successful recording
    and when it's your time to play on the recording "lay down your solid tracks"

Let it be
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 02:02:16 (permalink)
    Dave,

I understand why this would upset you. Definitely been there more than once.

My advice is to use this incident to try to break the ice with the leader. You never know what conflicts she may be dealing with. I would recommend that you do not try this by email. Set up a meeting and be ready to explain how you feel with non-confrontational language and a servant's heart. You just might develop a much closer relationship with her that is worth much more than playing on a few tracks.

Ignore the actions of the other bass player. That will ease most of your burden.

best,
    Murray
    dlogan
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 08:36:23 (permalink)
    Thanks for the additional input. I'm feeling better about it now. If the previous bass player had asked me if he could play on a few tracks, of course I would have said that's fine. Same if the band leader asked me. So I guess it boils down to thinking it should have been approached to me in a different way, but I'll try not to be so sensitive and need to get used to that fact that the band is not a democracy.

Dave
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 09:21:47 (permalink)
    If you're not happy "standing in" for the other bass player at his conveinance and the whim of the band leader, don't do it.It's well and fine that's it's a church group and your involvement is a charitable gesture but having your chain yanked in such a manner is rather rude and neglectfull of the strain it puts on you in terms of time and scheduling.

Craig DuBuc
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 09:35:47 (permalink)
    I'd love to have put something here that indicates how gracious I am.

Truth is though, I'd have likely thrown a big hissy fit, walked off in a huff and pondered in a black cloud on how to get revenge on 'em all for several weeks, while they prolly just have a good time doing the CD.

I would like to be bigger than I am though and I do seem to constantly work on it, sometimes I even think I've made a little progress, until some ****bag comes along and stress tests my theories all over again.

I guess the best any of us can do is keep trying.

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 09:42:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dlogan
    I guess I'll put my ego in check for the greater good.
    Dave

Isn't that the ROLE of the bass player?
    I know it is for every bassist I know...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 10:02:29 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

But I guess I'll put my ego in check for the greater good.
    I think you learned the lesson that you were supposed to learn from this situation. Good for you. I've learned that there is only one superstar on Sunday and I ain't him.

I'm not a church guy... although I work in many... but it seems to me that if one is a church guy then this is most definitely the appropriate mindset.

+1

best regards,
    mike

Garry Stubbs
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2619
    RE: Band dynamics - would this make you mad? 2009/02/10 15:42:53 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Jonbouy

I'd love to have put something here that indicates how gracious I am.

Truth is though, I'd have likely thrown a big hissy fit, walked off in a huff and pondered in a black cloud on how to get revenge on 'em all for several weeks, while they prolly just have a good time doing the CD.

I would like to be bigger than I am though and I do seem to constantly work on it, sometimes I even think I've made a little progress, until some ****bag comes along and stress tests my theories all over again.

I guess the best any of us can do is keep trying.

Very well put Jonbouy, My "advice" in this thread was solely proffered on the basis of "my perfect behavior" and I wasn't honest enough, as you were, to say if I actually was the aggrieved party I might have shown a tad less constraint. This happened to me on a gig on 31st Jan nearly a couple of weeks ago - I am the drummer in a new "party" band put together by our bass player. Crowd loved our first set, just about to start second set, lights go down, bass player turns to me and says "X my old drummer and his wife are over there, I asked them to pop over, mind if he plays a couple of numbers with us this set. Me, "xxxx off no chance it's my gig ONE-TWO-THREE-FOUR..." I was so angry I played like a demented Keith Moon for 50 mins, actually standing on the drum throne at one point for a cymbal outro, I did a second solo while doing a 360 around the kit, all the while staring at the old drummer.... Point was I wasn't going to be treated like that, prearranged in advance and asked nicely, no problem, but not dumped on like that. Most importantly the crowd and the rest of the band loved it and I have discovered some tricks I didn't even know I had in my bag. Hmm come to think of it, not really appropriate for a church band.

https://soundcloud.com/garry-kiosk
    Sonar Platinum 64-bit: Q6600 8Gb Win7 64-bit: KRK Monitors: ART MPA PRO VLA ii preamp: 3 x 500Gb internal SATA disks: Superior Drummer2: GPO4: Realstrat: Saxlab: Rapture: Dimension Pro: Ozone 4: Edirol SPS-660: PCR-500 MIDI controller: Korg PadKontrol: Fender / Gibson / Yamaha / Ibanez guitars:Guitar Rig 5: Dual 22" Monitors: Mapex Drums, Sabian AAX cymbals: Alesis DM5 Pro Kit: SE Electronics and Shure Mics: Mathmos Lava Lamp (40W)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1