Any good music stores in San Diego?

Author
lazarous
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1461
2009/02/09 14:24:39 (permalink)

Any good music stores in San Diego?

Hey, I'm heading out to San Diego in two weeks. Wondering where (besides a Guitar Center or the like) one goes to check out great gear.

Thoughts?

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
MSI K8N N2 Plat ATX 939 Mobo
2Gb DDR2 400
RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
UAD1 4.2
WinXP Pro SP2
Sonar 8.3PE
New Henry and Buster episodes available!

20 Replies Related Threads

mcourter
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3442
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 16:09:27 (permalink)
    Carvin

A few guitars, a couple of basses, a MIDI controller, a mandolin, a banjo, a mic, PodFarm2
    Unbridled Enthusiasm
     My music: www.Soundclick.com/markcourter
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 17:03:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lazarous

Hey, I'm heading out to San Diego in two weeks. Wondering where (besides a Guitar Center or the like) one goes to check out great gear.

Thoughts?

Corey

Hello,

http://www.google.com/search?q=music+stores+in+san+diego&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a

GK
    JayJayVee
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 18:07:26 (permalink)
    Hey Lazarous-
    What are you looking for? Instruments? Pro Audio?

Guitar Center is out in La Mesa, of course. There is also one in north county now off of 78.
    There is a Guitar Trader in Clairemont, if you are into guitars/amps.
    Carvin is headquartered here- they are in Rancho Bernardo.
    Pro Sound is reasonable- they are in Mission Gorge near Route 8.
    If you want computer-related stuff or electrical components and assemblies- Fry's is located near the stadium on 15 near Route 8.
    Those are the main ones I frequent.
    Let mw know if you need directions from somewhere in particular.

You should have come out over the last 2 weeks- it was 75 to 80 degrees for 2 weeks straight! (Don't tell anyone.) Today and most of this week we will have rain (but at least it is 60 degree rain, not 33 degree rain)....
    JV
    lazarous
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 18:53:26 (permalink)
    Hey, JV... I have plenty of 'puter places here in Mpls. I like the idea of stopping out to see Carvin. GC is boring... we have four within a 20-minute drive from each other here in Mpls. I've seen all the starter guitar packs I need to see.

I'm looking for funky, family-owned, where they won't mind if I'm just browsing. What am I looking for? Frankly, nothing. I'm pretty well set... but, I'll have a bit of cash burning a hole in my pocket, and I haven't be to SD in almost 20 years, so, what the heck. I'll be hanging out with a lefty-guitarist friend, and trying to find a simple interface for him to use with Garage Band so we can start trading tunes across the net again.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! Keep 'em coming!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    MurMan
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1040
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 20:08:02 (permalink)
    Corey,

For really good music stores, most people here go to LA. 2-3 hours one-way depending on traffic.

But I've got some other things for you to consider on your trip.

Taylor Guitars is headquartered in San Diego. They have a pretty interesting factory tour every Mon-Thur. Taylor Website

We've also got the Museum of Making Music, sponsored by NAMM.

Finally, if you want to hear a world-class guitarist with a great acoustic group, check out Peter Sprague. He plays in several venues and is always worth it. His singer, Leonard Patton, is a friend of mine. If you're interested, PM me with your visit dates and I'll try to find out where they're playing.

Murray
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 20:25:45 (permalink)
    Freedom Guitars. Funky store owned by two rather dubious British siblings. A lot of vintage gear as well as new gear.

Taylor Guitars is out in El Cajon. That is a must visit.

Center City Music is the Gibson capitol of San Diego. They might have a billion guitars inside...no one's really sure.

Moze Guitars is a funky old school shop owned by Moze for the last 500 years. It's out in La Mesa now...about 20 minutes from downtown.

Top Gear Guitar Pro Shop is primarily a repair facility, but if you ask them nicely and bring some Vegi burrittos from Robertos' you'll get to see the cool gear being fixed.

The Blue Guitar has been a San Diego institution since I was a wee lad. They fix things...Steve (owner) used to be my primariy luthier. He's fixed lot's of road dogs and brought them compeltely back to life.

David N Jones Violin Shop is the real deal. He's a certified genius repairing anything acoustical and wood...but has been the violin guy since the late 70's.

ElRayo Guitarworks is a repair/restoration/supplies shop. Fairly new, but the owner is old school.

Dusty's Guitar Store is a weirdo guitar nut that is at heart a very cool guy. Takes a bit to get used to him and his 'style'. He reportedly has a ton of vintage Gibson's, Fenders, Gretsch's and the like...but you have to press the magic button to get a viewing.

That's off the top of my head. If I think of more I'll most.
    tecknot
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 766
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 21:00:59 (permalink)
    I go to Pro Sounds (off of Mission Gorge close to hwy 8 at the Fairmont exit). I hate GC. Their salespeople never seem to know enough, but will tell you everything about the little they do know talking as if you are the uninformed person. Anyhow, Pro Sounds is a pretty good place to go. They have plenty of what you need, although it's not a big store. I buy my hardware (cables, etc.) and software there most often. But when I need to check something out or I am looking for that hard to find software, etc., I take a trip to West LA Music. Not that far from San Diego and worth the trip.

There is another small guitar shop on Midway in the Point Loma area in San Diego, Mark's Guitar Exchange. It's like elRayo, but has a much better selection of axes and amps.

Oh, I visit Guitar Trader (Clairmont) now and then too.

Like a good burger or pizza pie, I am always looking for good music shop.

Take care,

tecknot
    lazarous
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/09 22:08:05 (permalink)
    MurMan: I'm only there Friday evening thru Sunday evening... Bummer I'll miss the factory tour of Taylor. That'd be excellent!

For the record, I'm a bass guitarist, recording engineer, FOH engineer, and all around audio geek.

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, folks!

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/10 08:21:57 (permalink)
    I've long wanted to get a chance to shop at Freedom Guitar. I've only been to San Diego once and haven't had a chance to check them out.

Best regards,
    mike

JayJayVee
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/10 10:47:12 (permalink)
    Murman is right....if you get a chance, go check out the Museum of Making Music. It is definitely worth a visit. It is located up in Carlsbad. Judging from your background, you'd get a kick out of it.
    JV
    Nate
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 726
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/10 20:52:50 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: lazarous
    I'm only there Friday evening thru Sunday evening...

Where are you going to stay?
    lazarous
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/11 10:55:41 (permalink)
    Nate: I have no idea! I'm out visiting a buddy. He's putting me up in some hotel near his place.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    Geokauf
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 912
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/15 12:26:18 (permalink)
    I'm out visiting a buddy. He's putting me up in some hotel near his place.

Hello,

Doesn't fall into the definition of "buddy" for me. More like "acquaintance."

GK
    lazarous
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/23 12:17:04 (permalink)
    Hey everyone! Thanks for the suggestions for places to stop in San Diego. Got back LATE last night after a great weekend. Only had the opportunity to stop at three places we discussed, so here's the synopsis:

Fryes: Wow. Nice place. They don't sell any good headphones though. I looked. :-(

Guitar Center: Met a nice kid who's Christian band was recently signed. He gave me a decent (not incredible) deal on a pair of Beyer 770's. Nice phones. Much better than the crappy earbuds I flew out with. Yikes.

Carvin: I've had mixed feelings about Carvin for years. I've played a number of their instruments, worked with a number of their amps, at one point ran sound where their monitors and mains were installed. I've always felt they have an "interesting" definition of how to correctly measure specs, but the gear is usually fairly light, sounds good, just isn't as loud as I think it should be.

Walked into the very clean store at the main factory. Nice little PA just inside the door, with an acoustic bass guitar hanging above it. Farted around with the bass for a short bit... nice bass, but they wouldn't ship it back for me because they didn't have a case for it. Checked out one of their electrics... didn't catch the model, but it was a very pretty bass, and well made. Nice neck. I need another electric bass like I need a hole in the head, so back on the wall it went.

After looking around a bit more, I headed into their Pro Sound Reinforcement room.

HISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

WTF? So, being the hands-on kinda guy I am, I head over to try to figure out what the bleep is making this very cute looking PA hiss like a bed of cobras from an Indiana Jones movie. Mute the CD channels, turn down the mixer, etc. Basically, anything with signal gets dumped. Followed their signal chain, and from what I could tell, it's Mixer, to Crossover, to Amps, to Speakers. No EQ to see.

With everything down, it's STILL Hissing. And I'm talking a LOT, not a little bit. I head out to the sales fella and ask "Say, I was wondering... do you know what's causing the hiss in the PA in there?" and he says "The Speakers."

Um.

"Well, yes, they're definitely the final element... but what I'm asking is why is there so MUCH hiss? Which component is it coming from? Is it the amps or the board?"

Sales Dude says "All high-powered PA's I've ever seen will have a little bit of hiss. It's the nature of having a LOT of power available."

Okey dokey.

"Well, that's true to some extent. However, I've run quite a few good sized systems, and I've never heard this much noise."

Disdainful look from Sales Dude: "Well, I hate to tell you, but they ALL do that. That's just the way it is, man!"

So, here's my thinking about Carvin: As it's been for years, they seem to make very solid instruments. Stay the 'F away from their PA gear. For the same money you can get gear that doesn't hiss like a steam engine about to start down the tracks. Oh, and their folks on the phone are much more knowledgeable than Sales Dude was.

Other than that little bit of nonsense, it was a great trip! Thanks for all of the suggestions. I wish we'd had more time to hit some of the other places suggested.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    jimmyman
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2193
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/23 14:04:47 (permalink)
    Sales Dude says "All high-powered PA's I've ever seen will have a little bit of hiss. It's the nature of having a LOT of power available."

reminds me of a time when a CB'r was coming through my mixer.
    i had a neighbor with a huge tower. i went to him and said hey you
    know i cant record anything for all the chatter. i even had a recording
    of it. he said oh that aint me thats so and so over there.

turns out he was right. he did offer some help though. he said put
    a capaciter across the speaker terminals. i guess that would stop the
    hiss (if you like no hgh end).

so he said its the speakers huh? maybe ask him if unpluging them
    would stop that? or is it the fact that a 800 watt power amp is plugged
    into some powered studio moniters?

jimmy
    JayJayVee
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/23 14:07:52 (permalink)
    LOL....the *speakers* were actually making the hiss?? Now, who would have figured that out?? Good thing he was there to straighten you out on that. Did you hit him over the head with the bass?
    JV
    lazarous
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/23 15:32:08 (permalink)
    Jimmy & JayJay:

I considered knocking him with a bass, yes indeed. I should have been a little clearer in my comments above... the only items in the signal chain I didn't touch were the amplifiers. These weren't their little studio monitors. It was their "Pro Touring Grade" gear. Of course, it's not, but it was cute, had decent handles, and I liked the finish. They're reasonably priced enough I start considering it, but my experience is I need twice as many cabs in order to get the job done, so the cost effectiveness goes away.

Ah well. Nice to see the space for once. Check! That one's off the list.

Corey

Ath 64 3500+
    2Gb DDR2 400
    RME Hammerfall HDSP 9652
    UAD1 4.2
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Sonar 8.3PE
    jimmyman
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/23 18:00:58 (permalink)
    so he said its the speakers huh? maybe ask him if unpluging them
    would stop that? or is it the fact that a 800 watt power amp is plugged
    into some powered studio moniters?

i was joking. i would have wanted to say hey "mr music
    store guy" if you unplug the speakers will the hiss go away?

or

hey man if i plug an 800 watt power amp in to my studio "powerd"
    will they be "hissey" too?

good thing i pursue beening in comidy.

jimmy
    jimmyman
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/23 18:04:15 (permalink)

oops i should have said "dont" pursue beeing in comidy.
    or grammer or teach speeling for that matter.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Any good music stores in San Diego? 2009/02/23 18:42:07 (permalink)
    Freedom Guitars, definitely. They've got lots of vintage Fenders and accessories like original foot switches, too.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1